Axle Upgrades on non-Rubicon

TennJK

Its preference really. I bought one because i peeled the bottom flange on mine and like the way the PS looks. An oem is way cheaper and can be ground down so it wont peel. Im sure the PS is stronger, plus it protects the bolt heads so i figured, why not.

That's what I was thinking. I had heard about people peeling their cover off. That's the exact reason I was looking into the PS.

I would do the new cover. I've hit my rear diff on rocks more often than the front. Without a spotter, you can read a line by yourself for your front diff through your windshield, but sometimes with the rear, it ends up in another spot that you can't plan out as well. If that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense. And with the tattoos that I've already left on my rear diff, definitely going to get a new cover. Thanks guys. [emoji106]🏼

LurancJK

Im in about the same boat as you. I aussie locked my rear maybe 8 months ago and love it. Finally im regearing this weekend to 4.88 as im on 35s maybe 37s one day but cant afford a new front axle for a while as i go to college next year. I kept the front open and not 5.13s to avoid breaking. I havent broken the 30 yet but i did break a rear 44 axle shaft. Hopefully ill do gussets soon as well, but nothing else is worth it to upgrade the 30. Also planning on poison spyder diff covers as my stock ones are slightly dented with rock rash

TennJK

Im in about the same boat as you. I aussie locked my rear maybe 8 months ago and love it. Finally im regearing this weekend to 4.88 as im on 35s maybe 37s one day but cant afford a new front axle for a while as i go to college next year. I kept the front open and not 5.13s to avoid breaking. I havent broken the 30 yet but i did break a rear 44 axle shaft. Hopefully ill do gussets soon as well, but nothing else is worth it to upgrade the 30. Also planning on poison spyder diff covers as my stock ones are slightly dented with rock rash

You'll learn that college slows down the build process for sure. You and I are in the same boat for sure. Thanks for giving some insight on how it's going

Pyro1415

Its preference really. I bought one because i peeled the bottom flange on mine and like the way the PS looks. An oem is way cheaper and can be ground down so it wont peel. Im sure the PS is stronger, plus it protects the bolt heads so i figured, why not.

Definitely stronger. Way heavier and just generally more beefy.

jkwebbie

You could have done like me and just run 37s and know your limits. Then upgrade the front axle and regear the rear at the same time instead if paying in labor twice.
Or pick up some 1 tons like me haha

qwasin

Definitely get a rear cover. Years ago I slid backwards into a rock in my xj and punched a hole in the stock cover.

TennJK

You could have done like me and just run 37s and know your limits. Then upgrade the front axle and regear the rear at the same time instead if paying in labor twice.
Or pick up some 1 tons like me haha

I'm leaning towards that. I think my next set of shoes are going to be 37s. I guess we will what comes up in the future

Eezybreezy08

I'm leaning towards that. I think my next set of shoes are going to be 37s. I guess we will what comes up in the future

Y'all let me know how all of this goes. Especially with that Dana 30 front and 37. I have a buddy who runs them on his jeep and his has held up. But I know for a fact that he dosent wheel it that hard. He a lot like me, being lucky to go wheeling about 2-3 times a year. So even I have thought about putting the 37 on. I hold up cause even though I don't wheel hard, I just don't know exactly how week that axle can really be. And it's like most folks say, it's not so much of the axle, but more of the ring and pinion.

jkwebbie

Go for it! Its worked for me and Harrison (so far). But you just have to know your limits because I know it won't take much to break my 30, even though all I run is hard trails lol.

jkwebbie

Y'all let me know how all of this goes. Especially with that Dana 30 front and 37. I have a buddy who runs them on his jeep and his has held up. But I know for a fact that he dosent wheel it that hard. He a lot like me, being lucky to go wheeling about 2-3 times a year. So even I have thought about putting the 37 on. I hold up cause even though I don't wheel hard, I just don't know exactly how week that axle can really be. And it's like most folks say, it's not so much of the axle, but more of the ring and pinion.

I'm running 37s on a Dana 30. So far so good, but I am doing a 1 ton swap soon because I know my axle won't last on the trails I go. Plus I want to lock it, and there's no way I'm spending money on a locker for a Dana 30 lol

martinzusmc

I am getting ready to upgrade gears 4.88 and looking at an ARB rear locker (already have on-board air). I am running 35's and may consider 37's. So, the question for the rear is 30 or 35 spline? Am I correct that 35 spline would make my ring and pinion the weak link? I have read if you are looking at 35 spline, just jump to a Dana 60. Not sure if I need that big of an upgrade. Looking for any direction. My front 30 will be unlocked with C-gussets until I can get a PR44.

Eezybreezy08

I'm running 37s on a Dana 30. So far so good, but I am doing a 1 ton swap soon because I know my axle won't last on the trails I go. Plus I want to lock it, and there's no way I'm spending money on a locker for a Dana 30 lol

My main thing is how long will anyone actually run 37s on a 30. Because I can't upgrade to a pr44 for a long time, so that's why I've just been reading this thread. Of course I want 37. But I'm probably gonna stick with 35 cause I don't want to tear anything up and I sure as the world wouldn't lock nothing on a 30, or spend any more money on that thing other than gussets and possible sleeve. Some people talk about putting in a true trac. I would like to know them people's experience, if there is any, did something like that actually help. So time and how much experience with someone actually putting a 30 through a test of time is what I'm waiting to here. And I know the 30 is going to tear up, I just like hearing what people have done to them to put them through the test of time

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My main thing is how long will anyone actually run 37s on a 30. Because I can't upgrade to a pr44 for a long time, so that's why I've just been reading this thread. Of course I want 37. But I'm probably gonna stick with 35 cause I don't want to tear anything up and I sure as the world wouldn't lock nothing on a 30, or spend any more money on that thing other than gussets and possible sleeve. Some people talk about putting in a true trac. I would like to know them people's experience, if there is any, did something like that actually help. So time and how much experience with someone actually putting a 30 through a test of time is what I'm waiting to here. And I know the 30 is going to tear up, I just like hearing what people have done to them to put them through the test of time

You're on the east coast. You might break an axle shaft but you'll never bend it which is the biggest issue.

Eezybreezy08

You're on the east coast. You might break an axle shaft but you'll never bend it which is the biggest issue.

I appreciate the info. I thought I had read on here that someone said you actually did a little upgrade and wore yours out pretty good before getting rid of yours? Is that true? Cause I've been wanting to ask what you did. Cause I know you put things through the test pretty good from what I've read on here

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I appreciate the info. I thought I had read on here that someone said you actually did a little upgrade and wore yours out pretty good before getting rid of yours? Is that true? Cause I've been wanting to ask what you did. Cause I know you put things through the test pretty good from what I've read on here

I still have a D30. I have gussets and 5.13 gears.

Top Bottom