Ball joints

WJCO

Meme King
They raise the tie rod 1.5”. I have a Currie tie rod, which is oversized (1 5/8”). I also have a Prorock44, which has a thick cover that sticks out a ways. The raised tie rod is now at the same level as the part of the diff cover that protrudes the furthest. So full steering lock to the left has the tie rod hitting the diff cover before the steering stops contact. I could drill and tap the stops and stick in bolts, but my steering radius is going to be huge and probably unacceptable. I’m noodling solutions now, but may have to ditch the Rancho knuckles and go back to OEM. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's right. I forgot about that. I'm running the ProRock with Rancho knuckles as well, and had a similar issue with the stock tie rod bracket sticking inward and doing the same thing (https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...tting-ProRock-cover?highlight=rock+hard+clamp). It never hit bad enough to limit my steering though. Hope you get it fixed easily.

fiend

Caught the Bug
That's right. I forgot about that. I'm running the ProRock with Rancho knuckles as well, and had a similar issue with the stock tie rod bracket sticking inward and doing the same thing (https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...tting-ProRock-cover?highlight=rock+hard+clamp). It never hit bad enough to limit my steering though. Hope you get it fixed easily.

I have ground down my diff cover and am working on a plan to move the PSC ram clamp such that it does not hit the cover. With those two mods, the tie rod hits the diff cover at the same time as the steering stop contacts. That’s probably the best I can do without jettisoning the Currie tie rod and/or the Rancho knuckles. I need to remove the springs and cycle the suspension to see if anything is going to hit. I am concerned that the PSC ram clamp is now going to hit the drag link. We’ll see.

jesse3638

Hooked
OK think I narrowed it down to ball joints causing the death wobble. When I jacked up the front tires individually there is noticeable up and down play. When I looked at the passenger side while lifting up and down in the tire I can see the knuckle moving up and down. I don't recall that being normal play. The front lca's were a little less than 125 at the axle end, but not much. Here are some pics of the knuckle at the ball joint.

Tire off the ground.
IMAG2918.jpg

Me lifting it up with a prybar.
IMAG2919.jpg

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I'm feeling pretty lucky.
50k on my factory ball joints with 37's. Just finished replacing them yesterday and did some freeway miles today... So much better.
Ended up replacing them with Pro Steers and while I had everything apart, new Chromoly axle shafts....

Ready to head out and test them:brows:

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm feeling pretty lucky.
50k on my factory ball joints with 37's. Just finished replacing them yesterday and did some freeway miles today... So much better.
Ended up replacing them with Pro Steers and while I had everything apart, new Chromoly axle shafts....

Ready to head out and test them:brows:
I know I was thinking of doing the same thing and maybe welding in some gussets while the ball joints were out. If I do go PR44 I was going to have my internals swapped over anyway.

jesse3638

Hooked
Just ordered ball joints and gussets. Big thanks to Bubba at Exodus jeeps. Open on a Saturday and answered all my questions about the install of each. Now which ball joint press to rent...haha.

Just ordered ball joints and gussets. Big thanks to Bubba at Exodus jeeps. Open on a Saturday and answered all my questions about the install of each. Now which ball joint press to rent...haha.

Let me know how it goes. I need to do mine too. Thinking of doing the unit bearings and putting in new shafts while I’m at it.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have ground down my diff cover and am working on a plan to move the PSC ram clamp such that it does not hit the cover. With those two mods, the tie rod hits the diff cover at the same time as the steering stop contacts. That’s probably the best I can do without jettisoning the Currie tie rod and/or the Rancho knuckles. I need to remove the springs and cycle the suspension to see if anything is going to hit. I am concerned that the PSC ram clamp is now going to hit the drag link. We’ll see.

Good news. No contact with the suspension fully compressed.

IMG_0936.jpg IMG_0937.jpg IMG_0938.jpg

Top Bottom