Ball Joints

fiend

Caught the Bug
Went to my dealer for an oil change at 47000 miles and was told I needed upper and lower ball joints and a tie rod. They were going to charge about $2200 for parts and labor. I have 35's with 4 1/2" backspacing but have only had those on for about a year and a half. Seems kind of soon to me.... Anyway I changed the ball joints and tie rod myself. Used Teraflex ball joints. Hopefully a good choice cause I really don't want to do this again! Paid under $400 for parts so it was worth it. Not sure I have a point to this thread but if anyone wants to chime in I'm interested in hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you doing the work yourself. You can save a lot of money and learn a few things that way.

What issues were you experiencing that required replacement of those parts? Do you notice any improvement now?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

My ball joints have a little play. Is this something I should get fixed sooner rather than later? I do more overlanding than rock crawling, so should I stick with OEM or put something heavier duty in and if so what do you recommend?

sph801

Good for you doing the work yourself. You can save a lot of money and learn a few things that way.

What issues were you experiencing that required replacement of those parts? Do you notice any improvement now?

The dealership did an inspection while doing an oil change. I have them change the oil because it's free for life for buying the Jeep from them. I do trust them. They do a video of everything they check so you can see for yourself. I think all their pricing is by the book. The thing is between Mopar parts being over priced and the high labor rates the dealerships get makes them doing anything ridiculous.

Besides them finding worn ball joints I have been noticing some drift while driving. I just put the ball joints in yesterday and am getting an alignment tomorrow so too early to tell if there's an improvement.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that Teraflex is so bad. Doing some research online Teraflex HD ball joints consistently came up in a top 10 list. They weren't cheap.

sph801

My ball joints have a little play. Is this something I should get fixed sooner rather than later? I do more overlanding than rock crawling, so should I stick with OEM or put something heavier duty in and if so what do you recommend?

At 47000 miles there was no way I was going OEM. After removing them I can confirm the fact that the guts are plastic. I'm hoping the Teraflex ball joints are a better option. Not many who responded to this thread think so though. Good luck on your decision.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I installed the Dynatrac ball joints 2 years ago due to their design, great reputation, and the fact that I can rebuild them in place so I will not need to press them out/in again. That’s a ton of work that I don’t want to do again if I don’t need to do.

I do think the Crown HD (teraflex) ball joints are better than the OEM variety. Just make sure you use quality grease, then grease them regularly (at least at every oil change) and check to see if they are getting loose (failing) when you do so.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I'm a little disappointed to hear that Teraflex is so bad. Doing some research online Teraflex HD ball joints consistently came up in a top 10 list. They weren't cheap.

I'm hoping the Teraflex ball joints are a better option. Not many who responded to this thread think so though.

I don’t think anyone on this thread revealed personal experience with Teraflex ball joints or even observations of others that have them. The complaints seem to be with other Teraflex products. Anyway, you have them now. Report your experience for the benefit of all.

I installed the Dynatrac ball joints 2 years ago due to their design, great reputation, and the fact that I can rebuild them in place so I will not need to press them out/in again. That’s a ton of work that I don’t want to do again if I don’t need to do.

This. Just sold my FMF rear bumper to a coworker for 300 bucks. About to put it towards Dynatrac ball joints after reading a thread on here about how the competition is pretty much all made from the same basic not so great components. My stock ball joints have about sixty thousands or 1/16 of an inch of play. I have a bit of a wobble that I’ve been chasing (torqued track bar, balanced tires) and I’m hopin the ball joints tighten it up.

OP, Just grab yer knuckle and try and move it up and down periodically. If they have play after a short amount of time, try and get your money back.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
My stock ball joints have about sixty thousands or 1/16 of an inch of play. I have a bit of a wobble that I’ve been chasing (torqued track bar, balanced tires) and I’m hopin the ball joints tighten it up.

Manufacturer allowable spec is .060 so sounds like it's time for yours.

I don’t think anyone on this thread revealed personal experience with Teraflex ball joints or even observations of others that have them. The complaints seem to be with other Teraflex products. Anyway, you have them now. Report your experience for the benefit of all.

They revealed they’re rebranded crowns, and have revealed they were unhappy with crowns.

When it comes to Jeep parts so much of the reviews are written by people that don’t actually do the work themselves. Don’t know differences in parts and are largely uneducated in automotive.

“Yeah man I just got my lift kit on and it rides great and I couldn’t be happier”
When in reality a shop put a 2” puck on their springs, cheap shocks that’ll rust out and blow in a year or two, and you haven’t compared the ride quality to others. Are they happy? Yes, and good for them I’m glad they like their purchase and they will likely be happy with it for the life of the product.
Also since it’s a modified vehicle the built in excuse of “oh it’s a modified Jeep so you put more stress on it” for when things need to be replaced it’s not really a surprise even aftermarket things you’ve replaced, just a part of jeeping.

For the most part teraflex products fall into this category. For most of the road driving jeeps out there it’s fine, but if you’re to the point of doing the work yourself and wanting to use better quality parts, when you’re researching you need to really look at the reviews of products and ask who’s doing the reviewing. That’s why it’s nice that sites like this exist where the opinions you get are from enthusiasts and for the most part have a higher knowledge of things. It’s a good way to save yourself a good amount of redoing work and spending money twice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL - ya always gotta be that guy. At least yer consistent.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I installed a set of the newer style teraflex ball joints about 12 months ago and they’ve been good so far but I’ve only done about 10k kms and mostly on road so we’ll see once I give them more of a beating.

Down here options are pretty limited otherwise i probably would have gone with something else.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

If their other stuff is shit, why would I want to buy any of their shit?

sph801

Will do

Top Bottom