Barrett Lake OHV Jeep Trail - 1st Run Since Re-Opening Trip Report

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Awesome write up and great photos!

Agree with all of the above, sounds like we need to put a run together! :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great photos and write up as always. Especially good to hear that this counts as a win for wheelers getting the trail reopened. Thanks for sharing!

It really is a WIN for wheelers. I especially liked how it took a couple of wheelers that just so happened to be lawyers and a club to get it opened and not some coalition or charitable organization with a fancy name and eager to take money but really, does nothing.

That looks like a great trail, we'll definitely have to get up there soon, thank you for sharing :thumb:

It would be great to run the trail with you :yup:

Looks fun!! But I don't think I'll fit through the gate. :grayno:

Honestly, Cindy and I looked at it carefully and thought about you and I do think we could get you through without too much fuss. You can see tire marks on one of the poles where they climbed it just a bit to get by. You should do this one with us :yup:

Thanks for the awesome write up and hopefully we can make it up there soon.

That would be great to get you and Kristen back up here to do some wheeling. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really gorgeous area! Can you camp?

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing! Definitely want to check this out!

Yes, and I would recommend it as it can be a really long day to run the trail in a day especially if you're doing it with a group. There are about 3 decent sized camp sites at Barrett Lake and maybe a few smaller ones good for 1 Jeep. There's even a roofless but legit vault toilet there put in by the Forest Service. Of the sites, only 2 are along the shores of the lake and when we were there, both were taken with good size groups so the down side to camping there is that there's no guarantee that there will be an open spot when you get there.

Awesome write-up and photos! I cannot wait to get up there and run it. I had no idea so many other trails have been closed.

Yup, a total of 42 trails in the Eldorado National Forest were closed back in 2012 and along with Barrett Lake, Deer Valley and Strawberry were closed as well. The later 2 are still closed but they are "supposed" to be reopened once the issues that got them closed have been addressed.

Awesome write up and great photos!

Agree with all of the above, sounds like we need to put a run together! :thumb:

Yes, a run would be great but I would recommend keeping the group size on the small side.

Add that to the bucket list! Thanks for sharing

Let's plan it :yup:

Wow! Very cool! I'd love to run this trail sometime.

#noinvite

LOL!! I don't think you would have wanted to be on this run with us. Although we moved quickly running the trail solo, our breakdowns caused us to get off the trail pretty late. That being said, if you can do a weekday run and you can plan to be out the whole day (just in case), we should plan it. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pick a date I'll be there :yup: :rock:

LOL!! I still waiting on a new spare for Rubicat and I have a Moby is in need of a lot of help. Let me get at least one of them squared away and we'll get something going :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to see some trails reopened. Good thing the bridge over the creek is wider than the entrance gate.

It's wider but turning onto it can be a bit tough in one shot if you're in a 4-door. Since last week, one of the striped reflector signs was already bent back and you can see tire tracks climbing high along the side of the bridge wall on the driver side where someone decided he'd rather risk breaking the whole thing with him on it instead of just backing up once and straightening out. :naw:

jesse3638

Hooked
It's wider but turning onto it can be a bit tough in one shot if you're in a 4-door. Since last week, one of the striped reflector signs was already bent back and you can see tire tracks climbing high along the side of the bridge wall on the driver side where someone decided he'd rather risk breaking the whole thing with him on it instead of just backing up once and straightening out. :naw:

This is what gets trails closed. Lazy, irresponsible recreators. Even before working for a "land management agency" I was always taught to be responsible. Its just common sense. Why ruin it for everyone else.

Jk909

Those were some beautiful pictures man thanks for sharing. I have a random question for you, what do you do with Tessa when she is in moby?

Trail Bud

Hooked
Honestly, Cindy and I looked at it carefully and thought about you and I do think we could get you through without too much fuss. You can see tire marks on one of the poles where they climbed it just a bit to get by. You should do this one with us :yup:

When your ready. I just don't want to tear up something.

Top Bottom