Bed mounted spare or none at all?

aTX427

When I was out there in October, there were a few outfits renting jeeps on 35's. One of the guys in our group did that and wheeled the snot out of it. They give you a list of trails you're not supposed to do but he didn't let that stop him. You could always rent one for a few days. Or try out those RZR things that are buzzing all over town.

I've never been in a RZR, but always wanted to drive one. That is a really good idea. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Trail JK

If you want to lay low and still have an amazing time spend a day over at Aches National Park, then do fins n things, elephant hill trail in canyonlands, you can check out the joint trail canyonlands and poison spider mesa.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You trailered your rig to Moab. What is the big deal? Wheel it and if by chance you get another flat just drive it back to the hotel and onto the trailer. What is the big issue here?

Trail JK

You trailered your rig to Moab. What is the big deal? Wheel it and if by chance you get another flat just drive it back to the hotel and onto the trailer. What is the big issue here?

Idk, if something like this freaks him out then he probably has no business out there alone. Not that you should ever wheel alone anyhow especially in Moab but just think if a real problem came up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Kinda what I was thinking. No need to be a Jeep hypochondriac over a whole lot of nothing. Hell, he technically still has a good spare in my book.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Idk, if something like this freaks him out then he probably has no business out there alone. Not that you should ever wheel alone anyhow especially in Moab but just think if a real problem came up.

Oh, he's alone? Guess I missed that part.

Zevulin

I don't understand why that is important to you, but you are welcome to check out my build thread. I've been posting pictures of my trip. These wheels were brand new before the trip and I can assure you that every single one of them have numerous rock scuffs. If that doesn't do it for you. I'll be here for the rest of the week if you want to show me how it's done.

Not important, just a matter of conversation.

aTX427

Yeah, unfortunately I'm on my own for the rest of the week. Been calling around this morning and 40's are tough to come by in the off season. I'll just load up the spare as backup and trailer out to the trailhead. It's better than nothing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
True, just a bit disappointed.

I may also try renting / borrowing a spare front one of the shops out here or running out to Grand Junction. There is a Discount Tire there who may be able to get another Cooper in time.

Assuming you carry an air compressor with you, your tire with the cut in it is still a good spare. I mean, in the crazy off chance you loose another tire, just reinstall the old one and keep airing it up as needed until you're safely back at your trailer. Problem solved.

aTX427

Assuming you carry an air compressor with you, your tire with the cut in it is still a good spare. I mean, in the crazy off chance you loose another tire, just reinstall the old one and keep airing it up as needed until you're safely back at your trailer. Problem solved.

I'm with you. Thanks for the advice.

aTX427

Just to come full circle on this. I ended up finishing the trip using the sliced spare and luckily did not need to use it. Discount Tire had a replacement sitting at the door by the time I was home and didn't want the bad tire back, so I found a place in Houston to vulcanize it. Now I have a second spare that I can keep in the truck for my next trip.

aTX427

So the tire was still holding air?

Yes, it was cut through to the cords and leaking air, but wasn't fully split open. D&H in Houston is going to vulcanize it, which is fine for a second spare. Will post pictures when its back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom