Best JK mods with a 5K budget?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Forget the Overlanding vs. rock crawling bs.

Both COULD require a winch, good bumpers/recovery points, skid plates, recovery gear, lift, tires, etc.

There are alot of "overlander" rigs that I wouldn't take very far off road. There are a lot of "rock crawler" rigs that don't do much more than "over landing" also.

Get some good skid plates like the EVO ones. Its advisable to get an oil pan skid plate, a tranny pan skid plate to protect the tranny pan and the transmission line that crosses under the pan, and the exhaust/cross member skid plate would be helpful to keep from damaging those as bad. The factory gas tank skid plate can take a lot of abuse, I would not replace it until absolutely needed and then I would probably find a factory one. The EVAP skid plate is not needed but could be beneficial per say. At most I would move it one bolt hole over to the driver side to save your driveshaft boot from ripping. If the EVAP canister gets ripped off, it wont leave you stranded.

Good recovery points are a must. Along with good recovery gear such as a snatch strap, a couple of d-rings, and a tree strap and snatch block for when your winching. Get a good winch also, dont go cheap. Cheap almost always bites you in the butt. Warn makes great winches. While it isn't needed, I say get the biggest one you can. I run a 12k pound warn power plant but I often wheel with some full size rigs so I wanted to do it overkill. You absolutely want to make sure it is at least twice the weight of the vehicle. So a 9500 pound one would be suitable. Specially with a snatch block.

Depending on what tire size your going with a lift can be relatively inexpensive up to a decent chunk of change. You can clear 35s on stock suspension, proper bump stops, and trimmed or flat fenders. You will probably still have to trim some sheet metal and my still rub. So I would get a leveling kit at minimum. If I were going to stay with 35s and stay on coil springs with shocks I would go for the EVO Enforcer lift, aftermarket front driveshaft, and EVO drag link flip kit and be done with that part of the jeep. Your looking at a good chunk of your $5k but if you were to stay with that set up for ever, it would be a good one.

The rubis are fairly capable stock, so I would really evaluate what direction your wanting to go and spend accordingly. A lift and tires would change the looks now, but there are alot of things you can buy that you need depending on what you do. You can still get out and wheel and have fun.

Go check out the build thread section, you will see everything from mild to wild in there. It will help to give you some ideas and/or directions on where to go.

Also, if you want to throw 35s on it asap, make sure the rubi your getting has the 4.10s. They went to 3.73s as an option in 2012 or 2013 (i think) and depending on your terrain and wheeling you do, the 35s and 3.73s may be a dog so you may want to re gear almost immediately. That is a good chunk of money if you cant do them yourself and have to pay a shop to do them. The 4.10s would be better, maybe not ideal still but might get you further along for a bit.

Last edited:
I think I would run a 2-3" lift, some nice wheels, and some 35's

Or do a small 2" lift and put some 33's on your stock wheels, and maybe a front bumper and some armor.

geberhard

Douchebag
Congrats and agreed with the list of initial mods mentioned here.

Look into 35's, trim stock flares. I like the newer Smitty stuff actually but the crazy looking fenders are just that, will not do much for offroad and just add weight and bend to hell. Unless you are going Starwood Motors look direction, go trimmed fenders (cheap\free\light), I would add a PSC shorty bumper, (EVO, etc all make nice bumpers too), and rocker guards\sliders are a must,. EVO, VKS, PSC, etc.

I am digging short arms on JK's and honestly you can do a lot with improving what you have and keeping within budget. Heck a coil spacer\leveler kit for about 2" front) and 1/4 rear, will keep your drive ability at the same level. go with some longer shocks or relocate\extend the current ones, and you are good to play.

Remember to tryo to keep your rig light, do not add too much unnecessary crap or think twice when ordering something.

Add safety items, winch, extinguisher, rear hitch recovery point, and go play!

Gui

In the next two weeks I may be getting my unlimited rubi finally!!!! I am praying it happens..... Anyway, with a budget of 5K, what would the best mods be to upgrade it. It will be a daily driver but I want to be able to hit the trails hard too... Tires, suspension and a winch i figure but I dont know where to start....

Thanks in advance for the info and advice

First off what I´m writing is just my personal opinon and I´m by no means any kind of expert.

In my mind you should lift your jeep as little as possible if you do not want to change a lot of stuff.

I did a OME 2" lift that actually gave me 2" of lift and not 2,5 to 3 or even more. I choosed carefully the coils to match my bumnper and winch. You can take help from a OME chart.

With that lift the jeep rides very nice and you do not need any thing else like new driveshaft, bumpstop or things like that. Works great and you gain some "needed" ground clearance to the belly.

I also have a steel vinchbumper from ARB and a winch. For extra armour I installed the LOD rock rails. I have also ordered jks qiuck disconnect to gain someextra articulation but since you have a Rubi you already have that option.

Stock gas and transfercase skids works fine. Protection for the automatic and the cooler pipe is a god advice.

I also put on some cooper stt max 33" tire but again, since you have a rubi it comes with okej tires from start. Why not wear them out first before change?

Now, is my jeep a rock crawler beast? by no means no but it can actually do more than most people thinks.

Since your is a rubi I think it is more capable than mine from start exept the winch and front bumper that can be very handy if you are out on your own.

Take a search for Ronny Dahl on youtube. They are a bunch of Danish lads living in western Australia and they do a lot of wheeling. Ronnys father wheels a jeep similar to mine and they do some nice stuff. There is also a lot of beutifull scenery on their channel. ( I have no personal interest with the and do not know them privately )

Good luck.

BroncoRubi

Well I ended up pick up my new Rubicon today. Spent a little more on the down payment than I hoped so I gave 2k to play with instead

Attachments

• 1463104340036.jpg
    1463104340036.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 295

JAGS

Hooked
Congrats. Now spend $10-$15 on the Wayalife sticker package of your choice. You'll still have $1985 left over. [emoji6][emoji106]

Honestly, before you put any $$$ into it, just enjoy it. It's highly capable as is. And you'll figure out the kind of wheeling you want to do and who you'll be wheeling with most. Those two factors will open up your eyes to some possible mods. Even if it means saving for a bit to do it right.

Top Bottom