Billy Goat Build

So I got the tires today and some other things showed up earlier this week including the gears and drag link flip kit, now all I'm waiting for is the lift and the tire carrier!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473482275.191947.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473482286.476853.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473482305.636257.jpg
Also here is a pic compared to a 0 mile stoke rubicon tire/ wheel, with a 0 mile 37" nitto, and a stock rubicon tire/ wheel with 51,000 miles!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473482328.831503.jpg

Last edited:

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Awesome! The Jeep is going to look great. I'll have to look you up the next time i'm in town to check this beast out in person. My parents live in polk city.

Got the spring mount figured out, also can someone help me out here? Here are some pics of the lift so far, so the boot on the drive shaft is rubbing, I'm assuming this will get better once it's on the ground, and will get way better once I get 1350 driveshafts. Also I set the lower control arms to the recommended 22 and 3/4 or whatever it said on the instruction sheet but the springs look bent. Will this get better after the drag link flip? Or do I need to lengthen the control arms to make the axle go more forward?

Here are the pics

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474075019.292194.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474075034.254495.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474075050.486798.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474075063.710092.jpg

JKbrick

Got the spring mount figured out, also can someone help me out here? Here are some pics of the lift so far, so the boot on the drive shaft is rubbing, I'm assuming this will get better once it's on the ground, and will get way better once I get 1350 driveshafts. Also I set the lower control arms to the recommended 22 and 3/4 or whatever it said on the instruction sheet but the springs look bent. Will this get better after the drag link flip? Or do I need to lengthen the control arms to make the axle go more forward?

Here are the pics

View attachment 222942

View attachment 222943

View attachment 222944

View attachment 222945

Get it back together and on its own weight before you torque anything first. Then adjust your front lowers to get your camber correct.

So with the stainless steel brake lines, is this where they're supposed to be? If so where should I secure them so they don't get pinched by the spring? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474129755.587362.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474129771.621714.jpg

So it took about a day and half because of all the "union breaks" haha but a few buddies and I got the lift and tires on! Here it is going up.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474178900.176816.jpg

Started with the front first along with the drag link flip kit.
Some tips:
-use a ratchet strap to pull the axle towards other things to make things line up
- get/ rent spring compressors (made it so much easier to put the springs in)
-USE A CAR LIFT

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474179074.170852.jpg

Onto the back, we used a transmission jack stand to help raising and lowering the axle, we also ended up welding the rear track bar bracket as recommended.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474179265.592381.jpg

Once it was sat down I ziptied up the brake lines and re-aligned the steering wheel and drove it around for a little bit, did another steering wheel alignment, and now it drives near to stock! So this week I'll schedule a regear and c gusset welding with a guy in southern Iowa. Here are some shots of it clean and after we took it through our bogging pond!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474179441.748023.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474179452.490549.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474179473.115796.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474179486.511719.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474179497.492123.jpg

So in an overview, the lift and tires are performing great, I just need to do a full alignment and then find a sweet spot for the shocks, I'm at 2.5 all around and it feels a little loose. What is everyone else running at?

Last edited:
Oh forgot to mention, I ended up cutting the boots off the shocks and I took off the rubi rock rails for now (because the rear tires wouldn't fit with them on) until I find some time to cut them and get them back on.

swampdog

So it took about a day and half because of all the "union breaks" haha but a few buddies and I got the lift and tires on! Here it is going up.

View attachment 223139

Started with the front first along with the drag link flip kit.
Some tips:
-use a ratchet strap to pull the axle towards other things to make things line up
- get/ rent spring compressors (made it so much easier to put the springs in)
-USE A CAR LIFT

View attachment 223140

Onto the back, we used a transmission jack stand to help raising and lowering the axle, we also ended up welding the rear track bar bracket as recommended.

View attachment 223141

Once it was sat down I ziptied up the brake lines and re-aligned the steering wheel and drove it around for a little bit, did another steering wheel alignment, and now it drives near to stock! So this week I'll schedule a regear and c gusset welding with a guy in southern Iowa. Here are some shots of it clean and after we took it through our bogging pond!

View attachment 223142
View attachment 223143
View attachment 223144
View attachment 223145
View attachment 223146

So in an overview, the lift and tires are performing great, I just need to do a full alignment and then find a sweet spot for the shocks, I'm at 2.5 all around and it feels a little loose. What is everyone else running at?

I run 5 front 6 rear on my JKU and it seems to be the sweet spot. But, play with it! You paid for the ability to adjust so you might as well use it.

BaddestCross

After a bit of experimentation, I've got my shocks set at 7 in the front and 5 in the rear for pavement. When i take it on the trails I crank them down to 2 in the front and 1 in the rear.

EDIT: I've got a 2-door, so YMMV.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Great job!! I like the lifted stock look you have going on right now before your other bumpers get installed.

JustinS

Looks great man!

I rub my rear bumper at full stuff so i bet you'll have to do something sooner rather than later.

Going to the jeep show this weekend? It's in Nevada.

Looks great man!

I rub my rear bumper at full stuff so i bet you'll have to do something sooner rather than later.

Going to the jeep show this weekend? It's in Nevada.

We'll see, I have a pretty busy weekend coming up but I'm hoping to get out there for at least a little bit to check it out.

Top Bottom