Birth of Phoenix

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Great thread. With the benefit of hindsight, would you do it again, buy premade axles, or stay with 37s?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hard to say. My Jeep performed extremely well on 37s and the RK 3.5” lift. I feel like everything was tuned really well. I started to get interference issues with 38s. I think 37s on a four door offer great performance with reliability especially if you upgrade to a PR44. With that being said, I’ve always wanted to go bigger so 40s were inevitable. If I had the money I would buy some Dynatracs and sleep easy at night. Remember, the Jeep was down for four months and I touched a 1000 things that all needs tested in the end. I thought about doing a 44/60 combo but after bending my rear shaft, I really wanted full float. I would probably build again because you can’t beat the price and I will continue to get better at it.

So do you upgrade and sell your old stuff before you break? Or wait until you break? It’s a hard one to answer. If I started all over with a stock JK, then I would go straight to 40s and save some money by not redoing things. I do not regret my path with this one. I gained valuable knowledge and experience wheeling on 35s and 37s. I believe everyone should start small at first that way they appreciate all the hard work and money that goes into a big Jeep.

Don’t know if that helped but those are some of the things I thought about.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Makes sense. My JKU with PR44 on 37s does 90% or more of what I need, but 60s and 40s would be cool and maybe enable the last 10%. I’ve thought a lot about the home brew set up you went with. Thanks again for the informative post.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
First day on the rocks. Jeep did really well. My tire touches the rear pinch seam at full bump. Just barely so that will be an easy fix. I feel like the front should flex more but I can’t see anything binding. More testing I guess.
IMG_5481.jpg
IMG_5483.jpg
IMG_5486.jpg
IMG_5489.jpg
IMG_5490.jpg
IMG_5492.jpg
IMG_5497.jpg
IMG_5496.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Such a great build. You’ve gone in directions we’ve all talked or thought about, but never did. Great break down on the costs.

Jeep looks great, I totally agree, start small and work your way up. But it would be a hell cheaper just going straight to 40s and not to keep swapping parts as Jeep grows.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Such a great build. You’ve gone in directions we’ve all talked or thought about, but never did. Great break down on the costs.

Jeep looks great, I totally agree, start small and work your way up. But it would be a hell cheaper just going straight to 40s and not to keep swapping parts as Jeep grows.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks! Appreciate it.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Wasn’t satisfied with the way the front was flexing. It seemed really stiff. Didn’t see anything binding so I determined it was the Antirock. Since the swap, I had to put an Antirock in the rear. Now the rear was more flexible than the front. I decided to swap back in the Rubicon sway bar with the EVO no limits disconnect. I’m much happier with the results.

Also headed out to Tahuya to test the setup and run the Jeep through the big rocks. I needed to beat up on the Jeep to find deficiencies.

Jeep performed well. I think another 1/2” of bump stop in the rear and it will be good. For having only the PSC Big Bore the steering was pretty decent. Still haven’t hit the TJ tank yet.
IMG_5743.jpg
IMG_5748.jpg
IMG_5753.jpg
IMG_5756.jpg
IMG_5765.jpg
IMG_5769.jpg
IMG_5777.jpg
IMG_5778.jpg
IMG_5789.JPG

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Finally got out on another trip. I don’t mind doing old trails because I have a completely new set up now. First day we hit up Elbe Hills and I finally did the Busy Wild Trail. Difficult trail but fun. With 40s I never got stuck but the other JKU on 38s got high centered a time or two.
IMG_5963.jpg
IMG_5991.jpg
IMG_5995.jpg
IMG_6013.jpg
IMG_6022.jpg
IMG_6057.jpg
IMG_6063.jpg
IMG_6069.jpg IMG_6069.jpg IMG_6086.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
We camped at Elbe and woke up early to meet up with another group to run the Naches Trail. It was another muddy day but great none the less.
IMG_6089.jpg
IMG_6101.jpg
IMG_6111.jpg
IMG_6110.jpg
IMG_6118.jpg
IMG_6124.jpg
IMG_6127.jpg
IMG_6132.jpg
A much needed soak.
IMG_6154.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
So I was hitting my front bumps harder than I wanted so I decided to got with some Sumo Springs instead of full on air/hydraulic bumps. All four cost me around $270. So far I’m pleased with the performance and the bumps are much smoother. IMG_6219.jpg
IMG_6221.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Headed to Evans Creek this Monday to do some trail riding and had a pretty good time. The area has some of the smaller trails as in narrow here in the PNW. I would say that a JKU with full width axles and 40s is a little much. I found myself in many compromising positions which resulted in body damage. I broke a tail light, smashed the rear corner of my tub and hit my mirrors a couple of times. Still a fun time.
IMG_6235.jpg
Gate keeper that I can’t fit through. This is where I broke my tail light 10ft into the trail.
IMG_6239.jpg
IMG_6243.jpg
IMG_6253.jpg
IMG_6255.jpg
IMG_6256.jpg
IMG_6261.jpg
IMG_6262.jpg
IMG_6263.jpg
IMG_6271.jpg
IMG_6272.jpg

xtremdude

Great Write up

I’m just diving into mine an this write up although somewhat different has priceless information. Thanks!

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
As I sit stuck at home I realize that I haven’t updated this thread for a bit.

I went on the first snow run this year with the Nittos. They didn’t disappoint. Snow was a little less this year than it was last.
IMG_6435.jpg
IMG_6461.jpg
IMG_6463.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Next upgrade I did was Hydro assist. I’m hindsight I should have just bought the ported big bore. At least I was able to sell my old box. Adjustments.jpg
I also wish I would’ve done this upgrade during the 1 ton build because I would’ve designed the steering setup with the ram in mind. IMG_6564.jpg
The DIY hose kit from PSC is also very to easy to use. IMG_6578.jpg
IMG_6579.jpg
IMG_6613.jpg
This setup has changed again and I went back to the double sheer setup on the passenger side.

Top Bottom