Body Mounted Tire Carrier Debate

jsum87

Well hell, I saw this to late! Sadly I have a PS one that I'm putting on this week, I really hope it doesn't rattle or squeak and if it does I hope there's a way to fix it. If not then I'll try to sell the PS on c list and go gen rite or evo. Should have just gone with evo AS ALWAYS! Maybe this time I'll finally learn that.

The plus side of the PS carrier is that it's pretty easy and quick to open. No pins to pull, just a handle. And mine was one of the first, they've made improvements like the handle has been upgraded and they now have spacers for the latch side to help with rattling and squeaking. I hope yours works out. Good luck. [emoji106]🏻

Jzsquared

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455802445.267628.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455802457.538246.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455802467.280479.jpg

I just got mine back from powder coat last week. I decided to coat the hinges to match the jeep and the rack to match the bumper

Kpalas

Well hell, I saw this to late! Sadly I have a PS one that I'm putting on this week, I really hope it doesn't rattle or squeak and if it does I hope there's a way to fix it. If not then I'll try to sell the PS on c list and go gen rite or evo. Should have just gone with evo AS ALWAYS! Maybe this time I'll finally learn that.

I have the PS carrier and it doesn't squeak or rattle at all. However, I have a 40" tire on it and the tire rests in on the bumper alittle which actually helps support everything. And I've had no problem with the latch, just make sure it's adjusted correctly. Overall very happy with it.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
View attachment 188626 View attachment 188627 View attachment 188628

I just got mine back from powder coat last week. I decided to coat the hinges to match the jeep and the rack to match the bumper

^^ That looks great. :thumb:

JZ, I am looking at this very closely. This is a very nice touch. Thank you for sharing.

Sharkey, this is where I will likely go. Any ideas as to who does a good job powder coating? I suspect any body shop could do it, but wasn't sure if you knew of a good place in town here that does good powder coating. I will check with Metal Masters and see what kind of quote they can give me.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
JZ, I am looking at this very closely. This is a very nice touch. Thank you for sharing.

Sharkey, this is where I will likely go. Any ideas as to who does a good job powder coating? I suspect any body shop could do it, but wasn't sure if you knew of a good place in town here that does good powder coating. I will check with Metal Masters and see what kind of quote they can give me.

I don't. MTG had his carrier and skins done locally so you might ask him.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I don't. MTG had his carrier and skins done locally so you might ask him.

I am going to head out to Metal Masters this afternoon and show them a picture and what they quote. I'll let you know.

I just got back from Metal Master, who also operates as Advanced Powder Coating here in Reno, NV. They quoted me $135.00 for the tire carrier and $35 for the mounts. That includes all of the sand blasting, preparation and powder coating. Wow, I am impressed.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I just got back from Metal Master, who also operates as Advanced Powder Coating here in Reno, NV. They quoted me $135.00 for the tire carrier and $35 for the mounts. That includes all of the sand blasting, preparation and powder coating. Wow, I am impressed.

That seems very reasonable.

Jzsquared

Thanks for the comments , I had the mounts done at the same time as my HardRock Sport cage so it all matches pretty well

Angry Aussie

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455896625.706883.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455896658.058102.jpg

Finally got my tire carrier on, I love the white. The carrier itself looks better in person, it's no evo carrier but it will work. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about the spare tire ever falling off.

Ddays

Hooked

:jaw drop: That's all?!? I think I'm gonna shop more next time! I'm not saying what I paid! :icon_crazy:

Jackal01

Sorry way delinquent on getting this up for you. Nothing technical, just something for my piece of mind.

So you spent over a grand on a tire carrier and then had to add a $3 u bolt to secure it? You don't see an issue with that?

I have been meaning to post in this thread. So the change in the PSC Body Mount Tire carrier's locking mechanism appears to be a step in the right direction. I still believe the dual pin method that EVO and Gen Right uses is much better.

2015-12-28 20.35.15.jpg '
2015-12-28 20.36.47.jpg

I am not aware how the previous lock worked but this one appears to be different based on pictures of the previous one. Upon turning the handle horizontally (thus turning the U-shaped latch horizontally) in order to lock it closed the handle is pushed down and the U latch is sucked in/pulled against the latch-plate (the big, black steel-boxed structure). The tightness can obviously be adjusted by moving the nuts and U-latch accordingly. I have yet to experience any rattles or squeaks during on-road driving. We'll see how offorad goes but so far with the rough roads and huge pot holes in Houston...it has done well thus far. Although if I could do it over again I may more seriously consider the GR carrier I really hope this carrier does well since quite a bit of drilling was involved into the tub and I also prefer the appearance of this carrier.

2015-12-28 20.39.32.jpg

olly1969

I also have the PS body mount tire carrier, but I really think I should went with the EVO tire carrier. PS has great customer service, EVO covers my AZ pinstriped ridden quarter panels. Saying that, I do love my PS tire carrier new lock and the way I can load my tire carrier with fuel, jack, shovel and other things, while I head out in the desert. EVO I think is more suited to my type of desert wheeling.

Top Bottom