Body Mounted Tire Carrier Debate

mastrcruse

I have had the PS carrier since they were released. It's been over 12k miles and I just started having issues with it. It started rattling like a monster was eating my jeep. Found that all of the bolts holding the latching mechanism to the tub were loose. Tightened them up and now the issue is the latch. PS sent me their new heavy duty latch and it's much beefier.

Do I like my carrier, yes..it's easy to open and has done well offroad. It takes some maintenance but what doesn't. If I was giving advice, if you're sticking with a 35" tire, then you'll be fine. I'm going toward a 40 and I'm not sure I'll trust it with that heavy of a package. With that said, I've already put PS's corners on and would switch to Evo but don't want to replace my corners. So, I'll probably look into the GR carrier or another option. Potentially put it in the Jeep...local guy makes a tire carrier that stands a 40 up and connects it to my cage with removable Inner tube clamp.

filterbiz

I went with the crawler conceptz body mount carrier and couldn't be happier
Set up for desert so it gets a lot of abuse
No noises

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Custom made
5dfd1c36092979c5441012b88d5d756a.jpg

f0d1223e6c753c3094407ce99032a536.jpg

Just in the process of making my own carrier too looks good good job.

TonyViv

Anyone ever try the MORryde system? it looks interesting, you can buy just hinges or the carrier and reinforcement. Could you just get away with the hinges to strengthen things up enough??
This is not my jeep just a stock photo...... Ive been looking into a carrier too

03.jpg

Last edited:

neZZr

Anyone ever try the MORryde system? it looks interesting, you can buy just hinges or the carrier and reinforcement. Could you just get away with the hinges to strengthen things up enough??
This is not my jeep just a stock photo...... Ive been looking into a carrier too

View attachment 220289

I've had mine on for a few months. So far it's very smooth and rattle-free, though no off-roading yet. Only two complaints...

First is being all separate pieces with multiple edges just waiting for Ohio salt to kill the powdercoat and turn it to a rusty mess. We'll see. All the hardware is stainless, so that's good.

Second, the over-extension stop could be better designed IMO. The edge of the hinge strikes one of the bolt heads, and that's an awfully small contact area chewing up the powdercoat... See complaint #1. I removed the stop spacer and stuck in a few rubber stoppers so there is no metal-metal contact, but they'll probably need replaced often. Still looking for a better option.

Side note: I managed to strip out one of the countersunk stainless bolts, totally my fault. I called MORryde, and they sent me a whole bolt kit... No charge. VERY good customer service.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472469609.422203.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472469626.237795.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472469639.771757.jpg

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I'm trying to save up for the EVO carrier. It's the best overall IMO

Just installed the Evo carrier on my Jeep. Absolutely love it. Fairly quiet hauling ass at 60mph on the forest service roads in northern AZ, and no movement from the tire at all. It's completely quiet on the street and opens/closes smoothly. Takes some fine tuning of the joints but it's perfect IMO.

Jimmypaget

Just installed the Evo carrier on my Jeep. Absolutely love it. Fairly quiet hauling ass at 60mph on the forest service roads in northern AZ, and no movement from the tire at all. It's completely quiet on the street and opens/closes smoothly. Takes some fine tuning of the joints but it's perfect IMO.

There's a handful of people here that have it. Saddletramp (Scott) is one, super jealous! Just a nice looking carrier. Very aesthetically pleasing.

TonyViv

I've had mine on for a few months. So far it's very smooth and rattle-free, though no off-roading yet. Only two complaints...

First is being all separate pieces with multiple edges just waiting for Ohio salt to kill the powdercoat and turn it to a rusty mess. We'll see. All the hardware is stainless, so that's good.

Second, the over-extension stop could be better designed IMO. The edge of the hinge strikes one of the bolt heads, and that's an awfully small contact area chewing up the powdercoat... See complaint #1. I removed the stop spacer and stuck in a few rubber stoppers so there is no metal-metal contact, but they'll probably need replaced often. Still looking for a better option.

Side note: I managed to strip out one of the countersunk stainless bolts, totally my fault. I called MORryde, and they sent me a whole bolt kit... No charge. VERY good customer service.

View attachment 220291 View attachment 220292 View attachment 220293

Did you go with all 3 pieces? It says its compatible with the stock or oversize tire carrier, so you can buy just the hinges and reinforcement
Thanks for the reply and review

Tony

neZZr

Did you go with all 3 pieces? It says its compatible with the stock or oversize tire carrier, so you can buy just the hinges and reinforcement
Thanks for the reply and review

Tony

I have all three, but you can certainly use the stock tire carrier with the reinforcement bracket and hinges. Or use their carrier without the reinforcement. Totally up to you. The carrier has no adjustment other than two sets of mounting holes to move it up for a larger tire... but I like that for the beef factor and no rattles.

Look around on the other forums, it was designed by a fellow jeeper who also does a lot of fiberglass work you've probably seen.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I have all three, but you can certainly use the stock tire carrier with the reinforcement bracket and hinges. Or use their carrier without the reinforcement. Totally up to you. The carrier has no adjustment other than two sets of mounting holes to move it up for a larger tire... but I like that for the beef factor and no rattles.

Look around on the other forums, it was designed by a fellow jeeper who also does a lot of fiberglass work you've probably seen.

Why would he have to look on other forums? Why not just point him to the thread on here?

neZZr

Why would he have to look on other forums? Why not just point him to the thread on here?

Wasn't sure if that's allowed here. Some forums get pissy about other forums, and frankly I'm just not on the forums enough anymore to know which are taboo.

Top Bottom