Body Mounted Tire Carrier Debate

Sithwindu

The best part is, it comes with 4 spare Johnny Joints that you can pull and use if needed on the trail. :yup:

Honestly that's probably the coolest thing, advice, trail fix that makes purchasing this tire carrier even better!! I woulda never thought of that!!! Thanks eddie!!! Haha

KenB1010

Not sure what you mean by weight and it making a difference in how easy or hard it is to open one of these. In terms of the EVO carrier, you can adjust it to open however you want and little Cindy was easily able to open and close the one we have on Moby even back when we were running 40x15.50 Mud Grapplers mounted on ATX Slabs. :idontknow:

Of course, this is not to say that the GenRight carrier isn't a good choice too.

Sorry, after re-reading my post I realize that I wasn't very clear. The EVO tire carrier and the required corners are the strongest option, but also they are the heaviest option in pounds. I agree the weight of the carrier has little to do with the ease of opening the carrier. The ease of opening is directly associated with the alignment of the carrier and its adjustability.

I do disagree with your characterization of "Little Cindy", in my experience Cindy is a powerhouse in a small package. :rock::blush::rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, after re-reading my post I realize that I wasn't very clear. The EVO tire carrier and the required corners are the strongest option, but also they are the heaviest option in pounds. I agree the weight of the carrier has little to do with the ease of opening the carrier. The ease of opening is directly associated with the alignment of the carrier and its adjustability.

Ah, got it. That reads more clearly now. Yeah, the rear armor does add quite a bit of weight but, as you have mentioned, they are offered in aluminum now too and that would help. In my opinion, the biggest downside to the EVO carrier is the fact that it needs to be installed with the armor. While I love it and wanted it, I know it's not for everyone.

I do disagree with your characterization of "Little Cindy", in my experience Cindy is a powerhouse in a small package. :rock::blush::rock:

:cheesy:

harve22

I was in the exact same quandary last month on carriers. I finally pulled the trigger on the PSC carrier after weighing everything because I liked the number of and the way it held my Rotopax (learned my lesson on carrying extra fuel doing an overland run). I agree that the way it locked to the body didn't impress me once it was on, so I added a U-bolt to secure it to the body mount just to be sure. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Kpalas

I was in the exact same quandary last month on carriers. I finally pulled the trigger on the PSC carrier after weighing everything because I liked the number of and the way it held my Rotopax (learned my lesson on carrying extra fuel doing an overland run). I agree that the way it locked to the body didn't impress me once it was on, so I added a U-bolt to secure it to the body mount just to be sure. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Do you have a pic of what you did?

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Sorry way delinquent on getting this up for you. Nothing technical, just something for my piece of mind.

View attachment 130556 View attachment 130557 View attachment 130558

Harve22,

I was curious (honestly so) as to how the rear tire carrier is holding up. Have you had any issues with the tire carrier coming loose and your u-bolt worked as intended? I am in the market for a tire carrier and have narrowed it down to the Genright, EVO and this Poison Spyder. My dilemma is that my wife really wants something simple she can operate and I find myself struggling with what I want versus what will work for her and the Poison Spyder seems like a form of compromise. I just worry about that latch system you have a fix for. Was it ever necessary?

Exodus 4x4

Harve22,

I was curious (honestly so) as to how the rear tire carrier is holding up. Have you had any issues with the tire carrier coming loose and your u-bolt worked as intended? I am in the market for a tire carrier and have narrowed it down to the Genright, EVO and this Poison Spyder. My dilemma is that my wife really wants something simple she can operate and I find myself struggling with what I want versus what will work for her and the Poison Spyder seems like a form of compromise. I just worry about that latch system you have a fix for. Was it ever necessary?

The wife thing was my problem when deciding which carrier to go with. We are about to have a baby and the thought of having to deal with any of one those carriers every time I needed to load/unload a stroller made me go a different route. I ended up getting a Maximus 3 carrier and I'm real pleased with it. Bolts over the factory hinges and moves with the tailgate. Really straight forward install that I did by myself in about an hour and a half. They also make it easy to add a rotopax, something else you might want to invest in.

Ddays

Hooked
I hear you both on the wife deal, but if the EVO is adjusted correctly, it really isn't that hard to open. The initial tug to open it past the mount is the only operation that requires much effort. I would say that it would be tough for a woman to open it one-handed, but its not like you have to put both shoulders to it. The swinging motion is done with one hand and the weight of the tire actually helps swing it closed on the latches. I can't speak for the others though I have seen the Genright in person and it looks like a nice carrier.

One scenario that I didn't take into account is if the Jeep were parked uphill both the Genright and EVO carrier would be a bitch to close if the hill was steep enough. It could also swing open with some force if you are running bigger tires. But then you'd probably have that scenario with any carrier I guess...

Last edited:

jsum87

I have the PSC carrier and I'm a PSC fan, have their front and rear bumpers and diff covers, but the tire carrier is lacking. I've broken their latch twice (they have since updated it and now have a "heavy duty" latch that I haven't installed) but it rattles and squeaks so much I took the carrier off. I'm gonna put it back in with the new HD latch and see if it helps with the squeaks but, so far, my suggestion is stay away from the PSC carrier.

Walldog

Custom made
5dfd1c36092979c5441012b88d5d756a.jpg

f0d1223e6c753c3094407ce99032a536.jpg

Angry Aussie

Well hell, I saw this to late! Sadly I have a PS one that I'm putting on this week, I really hope it doesn't rattle or squeak and if it does I hope there's a way to fix it. If not then I'll try to sell the PS on c list and go gen rite or evo. Should have just gone with evo AS ALWAYS! Maybe this time I'll finally learn that.

dwvninety

I have the EVO and I can tell you it's heavy duty. No creaks, rattle, or squeaks. It is heavy and I am only running a 37" tire on it, but it's build solid and American made.

Top Bottom