Building the Grendel

Ddays

Hooked
Nice!
I'm looking forward to having the same thing, if my axle ever gets here.

By the way, how do you like your Gatekeeper? Haven't seen you mention it since you were painting it.

I'm tryin man, I'm tryin! Starting to get irritated honestly. Some dickhead has a rusty ass 240Z getting all kinds of stupid drifter shit put on it and the asshole keeps adding shit & eating the shops time up. I'm ready to go shove the fucker off the lift. *whew* ok rant over.

BTW Grendel, you're gonna love the hydro setup - totally changes your approach offroad. :thumb:

jdofmemi

I'm tryin man, I'm tryin! Starting to get irritated honestly. Some dickhead has a rusty ass 240Z getting all kinds of stupid drifter shit put on it and the asshole keeps adding shit & eating the shops time up. I'm ready to go shove the fucker off the lift. *whew* ok rant over.

BTW Grendel, you're gonna love the hydro setup - totally changes your approach offroad. :thumb:

Well, on the positive side, at least they aren't closed down.

Maybe by the time I get it I will have a new door so I can actually get my Jeep in my garage.

I usually wheel with abandon, now I'm this close and I'm afraid I will screw up my current axle and have nothing to sell to offset part of the cost. I cringe with every bump in the road.

Ok, thread hijack over

TheGrendel

Got the front coilovers in and King bump stops.

jSZfMJD.jpg

Rear coming soon.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Man those look good! I’m still torn between EVO bolt ons and the Accutune weld ons. So much less involved bolting them on yourself.

Can’t wait to see the test shots!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TheGrendel

Man those look good! I’m still torn between EVO bolt ons and the Accutune weld ons. So much less involved bolting them on yourself.

Can’t wait to see the test shots!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Living in Texas is what swayed me to the Evo bolt ons. I really wanted Accutune. We just don’t have the opportunity to go fast very often. So, the price difference when factoring in the installation cost was the decider.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Living in Texas is what swayed me to the Evo bolt ons. I really wanted Accutune. We just don’t have the opportunity to go fast very often. So, the price difference when factoring in the installation cost was the decider.

I’m in the same boat here in Michigan. I can put them to work at the dunes and the dirt roads up here, but otherwise I’m limited too. I just hate having to do things twice, and to find out I’m limited because of the bolt ons would suck. But then again they may be perfect and accutunes could be over kill. I don’t know. I’m not doing anything until the country learns to live with rona anyway, so I have time.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TheGrendel

I’m in the same boat here in Michigan. I can put them to work at the dunes and the dirt roads up here, but otherwise I’m limited too. I just hate having to do things twice, and to find out I’m limited because of the bolt ons would suck. But then again they may be perfect and accutunes could be over kill. I don’t know. I’m not doing anything until the country learns to live with rona anyway, so I have time.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

The one thing about Accutune is they will build the shocks and valve them to your particular setup. They know shocks well.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Curious, do y’all suspect the Accutune are that much better? Are they similar to a middle ground performance as the DTD and bolt ons?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

TheGrendel

Curious, do y’all suspect the Accutune are that much better? Are they similar to a middle ground performance as the DTD and bolt ons?

as Bubba can attest, the best part of Accutune is the customized shock valving. that's what they do. i think their set up especially in rear is the best at keeping a low height but retaining up up travel as well as down.

DTD is the definitely another step above.

it ultimately comes down to budget and do i have a true need for that next level. there's plenty of people running around Austin with DTD setups and they've never once bombed through a desert much less regularly. if they were honest, they wanted the bling factor.

wjtstudios

Hooked

as Bubba can attest, the best part of Accutune is the customized shock valving. that's what they do. i think their set up especially in rear is the best at keeping a low height but retaining up up travel as well as down.

DTD is the definitely another step above.

it ultimately comes down to budget and do i have a true need for that next level. there's plenty of people running around Austin with DTD setups and they've never once bombed through a desert much less regularly. if they were honest, they wanted the bling factor.

From my limited understanding, the accutune are somewhere between the EVO bolt ons and the full blown DTD. The accutune can go up to the 2.5” verses the 2.0s. They do a great job pre-tuning the coils and springs exactly to you build. They are a stronger tower and mount set up being welded on verses a bolt in condition. The have up to 5” of up travel. But they also are a couple more grand if you can’t personally weld once you buy the kit and have it burned on.

My only concern with either kit is the rear coilovers that are more exposed. Has anyone experienced any trail damage to them coming down ledges?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Weebz

Caught the Bug
From my limited understanding, the accutune are somewhere between the EVO bolt ons and the full blown DTD. The accutune can go up to the 2.5” verses the 2.0s. They do a great job pre-tuning the coils and springs exactly to you build. They are a stronger tower and mount set up being welded on verses a bolt in condition. The have up to 5” of up travel. But they also are a couple more grand if you can’t personally weld once you buy the kit and have it burned on.

My only concern with either kit is the rear coilovers that are more exposed. Has anyone experienced any trail damage to them coming down ledges?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

You and I have discussed this Bill. How are they anymore exposed than your traditional coil and shock? Not saying I want to damage either
but I’ve never really had much concern with my
existing shock hanging out back there.

That being said, I don’t want to ruin a few grand worth of CO over not thinking it through. Call me
ghetto but I’m pretty sure I’m sticking to coil and shock in the rear and doing CO up front. Without being able, more accurately willing to pay, the cost to outboard the rear, I’m not sure I feel there is enough advantage to going CO in the rear. As with everything.....subject to change in 5 minutes.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
The coilover setup in the rear is definitely more exposed. I have hit the rear reservoirs multiple times now and scraped up the coils pushing the bottom coil plate out of alignment which then bends the coil and catches on the shock. I love the travel and while it’s not a huge deal yet, I don’t like it. I will definitely be moving to the DTD setup next year. Having the rear up and out of the way with some extra travel will be a lot better. I don’t plan on bombing through the desert so I may see if I can skip the bypass shocks, but we will see.

wjtstudios

Hooked
You and I have discussed this Bill. How are they anymore exposed than your traditional coil and shock? Not saying I want to damage either
but I’ve never really had much concern with my
existing shock hanging out back there.

That being said, I don’t want to ruin a few grand worth of CO over not thinking it through. Call me
ghetto but I’m pretty sure I’m sticking to coil and shock in the rear and doing CO up front. Without being able, more accurately willing to pay, the cost to outboard the rear, I’m not sure I feel there is enough advantage to going CO in the rear. As with everything.....subject to change in 5 minutes.

The coilover setup in the rear is definitely more exposed. I have hit the rear reservoirs multiple times now and scraped up the coils pushing the bottom coil plate out of alignment which then bends the coil and catches on the shock. I love the travel and while it’s not a huge deal yet, I don’t like it. I will definitely be moving to the DTD setup next year. Having the rear up and out of the way with some extra travel will be a lot better. I don’t plan on bombing through the desert so I may see if I can skip the bypass shocks, but we will see.

I agree on the Res location. I have a smashed res right now that needs to go back to King to get reworked. On either kit, I’m going to make sure I locate the res’s up under the body.

With both kits, the coils are laid back at a steeper angle which does increase the exposure. The DTD solves that, but at a level of complexity that I don’t think I want to get into.

There is a significant advantage of adjustability with the coilovers verses a standard coil and shock set up as well as the travel distance of either set up. I’m just working thru which route makes the most sense.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom