Building the Grendel

TheGrendel

Added metalcloak shock relocation mounts. I actually bought these for my old Jeep. But didn’t need them. With the King 2.5s, I’ve actually slightly bent the front drive shaft. I know some people have ripped brackets off using these mounts. I’ll just have to take my chances. The install was surprisingly easy.

6htlGo6.jpg

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Nice! I’ve been looking for 3.8 similar but not happy with reviews/opinions.

I’m wondering about an ‘04 SS Impala exhaust as that had a good note. Just wondering how that would sound on a mopar 3.8?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’ve got the dynoxmax comp on my 3.8 and really like it. I decided earlier this year that I thought it was too loud and decided to add their race bullet behind it. Love it now, it sounds more like a patter than a real exhaust on idle, but when on the gas it still has a great sound, just much more refined and took a few good db’s off the volume as well.

MericaMade

Added metalcloak shock relocation mounts. I actually bought these for my old Jeep. But didn’t need them. With the King 2.5s, I’ve actually slightly bent the front drive shaft. I know some people have ripped brackets off using these mounts. I’ll just have to take my chances. The install was surprisingly easy.

6htlGo6.jpg

Is that 1 bolt holding it all together? If its one bolt I would think that would bend the inner mount fairly easy.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

6htlGo6.jpg

Curios, how do you bend a drive shaft because of Kong’s shocks? Also, that’s a funky looking mount. Is the idea to push the shocks outboard? If so, I would be in favor of swapping those out to the Evo brackets, never heard of a problem with them.

TheGrendel

Curios, how do you bend a drive shaft because of Kong’s shocks? Also, that’s a funky looking mount. Is the idea to push the shocks outboard? If so, I would be in favor of swapping those out to the Evo brackets, never heard of a problem with them.

Haha. Didn’t proofread. Slightly Bent the shock shaft.

TheGrendel

So, the Dynomax evolution exhaust is a no go. there is a drone that really kills my ear if i have the windows down. going to piece together a quiet crawler system instead. :icon_crazy:

TheGrendel

I've had both and I much prefer the quiet crawler. Can you not just add the bullet to what you have?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

i could. but, amazon is allowing me to return it. so, i figured i would just go with what i know has good reviews.

TheGrendel

well, it's been awhile since i updated this thread. so, i've done a couple of things. i figured out the best exhaust combo for me. i used a Borla ProXS oval muffler with the Dynomax race bullet and parts of the original exhaust to dump just over the rear axle. got it welded up last week after a run through some washboard roads rattled the exhaust clamps loose.

2nd. i pulled up the Evo pro series tire carrier. as was documented on WAL, i and at least 1 other poster had issues with our carrier not fitting the body correctly causing minor buckling of the tailgate. i pulled it off and remounted a half dozen times using different combinations of washers in places to try and get the proper fit. but, it was never right to me including not being able to get the top of the tailgate on the hinge side to close up all of the way. of the different Evo products I've tried, i'm easily most disappointed in this one.

so, i had been searching for a replacement. finally, decided to get the tire off the outside completely. my wife snagged the Excessive Industries Gatekeeper on Black Friday sale. it got delivered on 12/23 while I was busy in the garage. her Christmas day surprise didn't happen the way she planned. but, i'm grateful.

now, i'm just debating powder coat vs spray paint. i'm thinking i might just spray paint it since i won't really be looking at it all that often. save the money for other upgrades.

beyond this. i have a few more goodies rolling in that i'll update as they show up. feels good to be wrenching on the Jeep again.

owHozRC.jpg

jdofmemi

I have the same thing on my Jeep.

I sprayed mine, as it is mostly hidden anyway.

I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I love the look of it, and it holds the tire very secure in place. Never a rattle or vibration. I also like that it moves weight forward, and while not huge, I do feel it climbs better because of it.

I also welded studs to mine to carry my Hi Lift on top in front of the tire, so it is behind the seats. It ends up out of the way, but still easy to get to.

I hate that it takes a good deal of space for gear, and a long trip with four people is tough to pack for. It also puts the tire hard against the tailgate, so a tailgate table won't really fit.

On the plus side, I carry all my tools and gear in soft bags and they stay secure under the tire, wedged in between it and the seat.

I had to get longer bolts to secure the hard top, as the factory ones just don't quite reach. I believe I went with 50 mm long, and then I tapered the ends with a grinder similar to the factory bolts so they would start easier.

TheGrendel

I have the same thing on my Jeep.

I sprayed mine, as it is mostly hidden anyway.

I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I love the look of it, and it holds the tire very secure in place. Never a rattle or vibration. I also like that it moves weight forward, and while not huge, I do feel it climbs better because of it.

I also welded studs to mine to carry my Hi Lift on top in front of the tire, so it is behind the seats. It ends up out of the way, but still easy to get to.

I hate that it takes a good deal of space for gear, and a long trip with four people is tough to pack for. It also puts the tire hard against the tailgate, so a tailgate table won't really fit.

On the plus side, I carry all my tools and gear in soft bags and they stay secure under the tire, wedged in between it and the seat.

I had to get longer bolts to secure the hard top, as the factory ones just don't quite reach. I believe I went with 50 mm long, and then I tapered the ends with a grinder similar to the factory bolts so they would start easier.

appreciate the insight on the longer bolts. also, they didn't ship any instructions. not a problem as it's pretty idiot proof. but, on the website, it says it can be used with the hard top with weatherstripping. What did you on that end? happen to have any pics?

i'm rolling the soft top at the moment. but, i'm sure i'll put the hard top back on at some point. thanks for the help.

jdofmemi

appreciate the insight on the longer bolts. also, they didn't ship any instructions. not a problem as it's pretty idiot proof. but, on the website, it says it can be used with the hard top with weatherstripping. What did you on that end? happen to have any pics?

i'm rolling the soft top at the moment. but, i'm sure i'll put the hard top back on at some point. thanks for the help.

To put the hard top on, it fits over the Gatekeeper, so in front and behind it there is a small gap between the top and the body. Some weatherstripping will fill the gap and help keep wind noise down.

The first year, I taped some to the Jeep, and it worked pretty well, but the next summer it left a mess on the Jeep to clean up.

The better option would be to attach it to the top, and it will stay there. I don't have any pics of that part.

As for the jack mount, I took a couple, but without unloading some stuff it is hard to see it all.

I used some 1/2" bolts by about 6 or 7 inches long, and cut off the head. Then I threaded one but all the way to the end of the threads.

I drilled the Gatekeeper frame straight in line with the center of the uprights on each side. Before you drill, mark the location using the jack so the holes will line up with both the jack holes AND the uprights.

Drill all the way through, then the long shank of the bolt has two holes to help stabilize it, and weld the nut to the frame.

There ends up with just enough thread sticking up to put a nut on to secure the jack. I used some nuts I had laying around that have a washer included.

Done this way, the jack is complete out of the way and does not touch the seats or anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_20191226_104953-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20191226_104953-800x600.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20191226_105001-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20191226_105001-800x600.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 143

TheGrendel

To put the hard top on, it fits over the Gatekeeper, so in front and behind it there is a small gap between the top and the body. Some weatherstripping will fill the gap and help keep wind noise down.

The better option would be to attach it to the top, and it will stay there. I don't have any pics of that part.

As for the jack mount, I took a couple, but without unloading some stuff it is hard to see it all.

I used some 1/2" bolts by about 6 or 7 inches long, and cut off the head. Then I threaded one but all the way to the end of the threads.

I drilled the Gatekeeper frame straight in line with the center of the uprights on each side. Before you drill, mark the location using the jack so the holes will line up with both the jack holes AND the uprights.

Drill all the way through, then the long shank of the bolt has two holes to help stabilize it, and weld the nut to the frame.

There ends up with just enough thread sticking up to put a nut on to secure the jack. I used some nuts I had laying around that have a washer included.

Done this way, the jack is complete out of the way and does not touch the seats or anything else.

ok, cool that's what i was thinking. i'll lower the top down and mark the gaps and cut and attach the weatherstripping there.

also, that's an awesome idea on the jack.

Top Bottom