Cage question

RageKage

Thanks for all the info guys! Definitely put some more insight into which route I should go. I'm 6'3" so the bar across the dash shouldn't inhibit any visibility for me. Wouldn't mind cutting the speaker bar, but as mentioned the design has changed so the less I cut, the happier my wife will be [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] she supports the hobby but isn't necessarily too found of all the cutting and drilling. As it stands it's looking like the EVO cage is going to be the way to go. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

agiron

IMO, since all 3 you mentioned are 'sport' cages (as opposed to a full cage) they're all going to perform relatively similar. The feedback I've heard on this site in particular is that the PS one has a tendency to squeak, but not for all users. The Rockhard probably is still the most popular style, but does require some clearancing if you run a hard top. The Evo cage is so new it's probably hard to compare, but E&C just installed one on their 2012 JK and you can find the write up and lots of pics here to take a look at.

What needs to be clearanced in order to run the rockhard cage?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
....Not like I've ever seen anything like a JK with a sport cage survive 4 rolls at over 70 MPH on the highway before....

I helped pull some parts off that Jeep and remember thinking how amazingly well the sport cage did its job. I hope to never, ever experience a roll like that but have every confidence in both the RH and EVO setups.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Anyone know whether a RH or EVO cage will work with a Tuffy stereo cover? As shown in the pic, the cover/tray takes up some dash room. Not sure whether that would interfere with a cage cross bar. IMG_2898.JPG

Draconianwinter

Anyone know whether a RH or EVO cage will work with a Tuffy stereo cover? As shown in the pic, the cover/tray takes up some dash room. Not sure whether that would interfere with a cage cross bar. View attachment 257972

If I am looking at that picture correctly itty looks like all the sport cages will hit that box. Looks like a portion of the back goes far enough on the dash that the back portion at least sits right where most out the cages dah bar goes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
It looks like it'd interfere. I'd ditch the Tuffy, get the cage, and install lockable storage elsewhere if you need it.

The tuffy covers the stereo. I discovered you can remove a JK stereo with maybe four screws. A $1500 item. So I'd like to keep it. I have locking storage elsewhere.

Kinda hard to tell if the cage bar would be forward of the Tuffy tray, between that and the wind shield. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

GraniteCrystal

The tuffy covers the stereo. I discovered you can remove a JK stereo with maybe four screws. A $1500 item. So I'd like to keep it. I have locking storage elsewhere.

Kinda hard to tell if the cage bar would be forward of the Tuffy tray, between that and the wind shield. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I've never heard of a stock Jeep radio getting stolen. Especially when it's not even a touch screen, as the one in your pic is. I can't imagine someone going to the trouble of breaking into a car for an AM/FM radio.

That said, if it's really something you feel you need, I hope you can find a way to make it work.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Don't take this the wrong way, but I've never heard of a stock Jeep radio getting stolen. Especially when it's not even a touch screen, as the one in your pic is. I can't imagine someone going to the trouble of breaking into a car for an AM/FM radio.

That said, if it's really something you feel you need, I hope you can find a way to make it work.[/

You think I wear pink sunglasses? The pic is from tuffy's website. [emoji23]

I have the touchscreen. Not super concerned about theft, but I do park in urban areas around LA from time to time and like the security. Anyway, I have the Tuffy and long ago discarded the stock dash parts.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Well another option is maybe contact evo and see if they would be willing to fan up the dash bar to fit over it. Not sure if they will, but it never hurts to ask.

Would never happen. The pieces are laser cut and cnc bent, it's all preprogrammed.

At best it would be a custom one off piece made in-house and you would pay through the nose, to the point you could replace the radio a few times if it were stolen haha.

Draconianwinter

Would never happen. The pieces are laser cut and cnc bent, it's all preprogrammed.

At best it would be a custom one off piece made in-house and you would pay through the nose, to the point you could replace the radio a few times if it were stolen haha.
Never said it would be a cheap way to get it to work lol

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
The pic with the lock box is the old style dash and EVO doesn't offer that one yet.

To the OP, another thing I've noticed in my research of cages is the EVO and RockHard have the nicest fit and finish after install. EVO replaces the side plastics and a proper trim by the visors gives the Rock Hard a near factory look. There is no good way to trim with the poison spyder that I have yet seen, most just remove the side panels. Not a big deal for everyone but I like things to look like they're supposed to be there and not an afterthought.

tgoss

I've had evo's cage installed for about 6 months. I really do like it a lot. Super easy to install, looks great and honestly gives me a good feeling if I were to flop. The visibility is great, it only rattles with the top fully off with random stereo frequencies (rare times for myself), it looks nice and I can't wait to add the grab handles as soon as my powder coater finishes them.

Andy5160

Hooked
I've had evo's cage installed for about 6 months. I really do like it a lot. Super easy to install, looks great and honestly gives me a good feeling if I were to flop. The visibility is great, it only rattles with the top fully off with random stereo frequencies (rare times for myself), it looks nice and I can't wait to add the grab handles as soon as my powder coater finishes them.

Can you post some pictures of the trimming that had to be done on the front top part of the windshield plastic. After seeing the video of Eddie I am not sure I want to trim that much. That being said I alternate between my tops so it seems like it might make a difference for me.
Thak's

Top Bottom