CANCELED My AAA Premier Road Side Assistance - Think You're Covered? Think Again

I have a Dodge sprinter 3500 1 ton 158 inch wheelbase I have AAA's RV premier service package they refused once to tow me and I explain to them politely they're supposed to be a big rig if needed did we need to discuss it any further they got back on the phone they put my van on the flatbed and got it done because like I explain to them my 1 ton truck filled with tools is still lighter than an RV filled with freshwater gray water food clothing and everything else
And the terms of their towing agreement are if they need to bring an 18 wheeler to tow it if you ask in detail about their ability to tow a bus and you're an RV owner AAA member they can handle it so they should be able to handle anything smaller including a jeep with oversized tires tell him cut the crap cut the excuses you read your own contract to amazing what do you say do I need to get a lawyer will get done

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have a Dodge sprinter 3500 1 ton 158 inch wheelbase I have AAA's RV premier service package they refused once to tow me and I explain to them politely they're supposed to be a big rig if needed did we need to discuss it any further they got back on the phone they put my van on the flatbed and got it done because like I explain to them my 1 ton truck filled with tools is still lighter than an RV filled with freshwater gray water food clothing and everything else
And the terms of their towing agreement are if they need to bring an 18 wheeler to tow it if you ask in detail about their ability to tow a bus and you're an RV owner AAA member they can handle it so they should be able to handle anything smaller including a jeep with oversized tires tell him cut the crap cut the excuses you read your own contract to amazing what do you say do I need to get a lawyer will get done

Spell. Check.

PT1400

What about just disconnecting the drive line for the wheels touching the pavement? No damage to the t-case, trans, or engine that way. And you could've been home safe.

Hell you probably could have put an SOS on here and you would have 5-6 trailers show up!

Vincent

Hell, I always said that AAA was one of the last honest organizations in this country that you could actually count on...
Guess I'm going to have to ponder my last 8 years of loyalties...ugh!

Last edited:

kirstinthemermaid

Wow I just read your thread and I'm surprised my mouth didn't drop to the floor. I have AAA as well and sounds like a complete waste of money now... Sorry about your bad experience but glad to know its not worth the time or money!

RUBEERCON

That driver is a jackass. They should have responded with a flatbed asap!

I tell my employees to represent the company in a positive manor, he did not. In this case it was the driver making the company look bad, the customer service rep is doing the same thing. Sounds like my DIRECTV experiences, I just keep calling until I get a someone that simply takes care of the issue. Getting a driver change or AAA response quickly in a rural area is a different story...

I have always had good luck with AAA towing, lowered vettes with flats and even my 75 bronco without an engine!

I hope they compensate you for being a loyal customer.

Rockywoolf

aaa

fortunatley i have not ever had to use AAA to tow my jeep. Although i have had to use it to tow my truck and once we ran out of fuel in our tow rig and both times AAA showed up and was great. It all comes down to the driver and the company operating on behalf of AAA. A good complaint can go a long way. Im going to stick with AAA and hope i dont need a jeep tow anytime soon and if i do, hope i get a good driver and not a greedy ahole.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What about just disconnecting the drive line for the wheels touching the pavement? No damage to the t-case, trans, or engine that way. And you could've been home safe.

Hell you probably could have put an SOS on here and you would have 5-6 trailers show up!

As I had responded to cavfighter back on post #34, yes, I could have removed the rear drive shaft. That of course is not the point. The driver was willing to go back and grab a flatbed but only if I were willing to pay $600-$700 to have my Jeep towed "commercially". AAA response was to defend their driver and said it wouldn't have been "safe" to tow my Jeep regardless due to the fact that it's "modified".

fortunatley i have not ever had to use AAA to tow my jeep. Although i have had to use it to tow my truck and once we ran out of fuel in our tow rig and both times AAA showed up and was great. It all comes down to the driver and the company operating on behalf of AAA. A good complaint can go a long way. Im going to stick with AAA and hope i dont need a jeep tow anytime soon and if i do, hope i get a good driver and not a greedy ahole.

My jeep on a AAA truck. I use them all the time and have never had any issues. Sorry you had problems Eddie.

So that there isn't any misunderstanding, I have had AAA for well over 10 years, have used their services multiple times during that time and without any issues. The problem is, I now know this service isn't guaranteed and if their drivers refuse to help me in a time of need or at least, unless I'm willing to pay a heavy premium, the "service" I'm paying for is effectively useless. Hell, I ran out of fuel once too on a busy SoCal highway and even before I could call AAA, an MTA truck pulled in behind me and gave me a couple of gallons FREE of charge. With or without AAA, I can get someone to help me and even if I had to pay $600-$700, that would be far less than what I have been paying for well over 10 years.

Draconianwinter

Wow. AAA I guess is going the rout of everyone else I guess. They want your money but don't want to provide the service you are paying for. The towing company was just being a dick who wanted an excuse to bitch and try to get a small fortune out of you. All around I never have had AAA due to a frie3nd of mine years ago who had them. he was broken down on a dirt road and AAA refused to send out a truck because the road wasn't paved.

Trail Bud

Hooked
20170522210650-3e56db90.jpg

On our way out to Moab a few weeks back, Cindy and I decided to take some side routes and do some exploring along the way. Unfortunately, about half way up a long steep grade, we started to experience problems with our engine and transmission and it was all we could do get back to pavement, let alone to the nearest town. Being that we've been a Premier Member of AAA Road Side Assistance for well over 10 years, we decided to give them a call and just have Moby towed home. Certainly, it would be a lot faster and easier and our membership allows for the first 200 miles free of charge.

When I made the call to AAA, I explained to them what I was driving and that I would need a flat bed truck. I will say that I was quite surprised that a truck came out within 15 minutes but I was disappointed to see it was a standard wheel lift as opposed to a flat bed as I had requested. When the driver asked where we needed to go, I explained to him that we wanted to have our Jeep taken to our home in Carson City and that was about 70 miles away. Initially, he didn't seem to think it'd be a problem to just use his truck to do the job but then I let him know that I had specifically requested a flat bed. To this, he became irritable and started to berate me for having such a big Jeep and that I should know that the terms and conditions of AAA Road Side Assistance doesn't allow for the towing of such a vehicle. Surprised, I let him know that we've used AAA multiple times in the past to tow Jeeps just like this and without any problems and that's when he demanded where this occurred. When I said that I've used AAA for towing in Blanding, UT and Lone Pine, CA, he snapped back at me and said he was going to report them! He said they aren't supposed to tow vehicles like ours and then he got on his phone to tell the garage he came from what was going on. With me standing in front of him, he bitched and moaned about our Jeep and how AAA needs to explain to guys like me what is and isn't allowed. After the driver ended his call, he let me know that he does have a flat bed truck and that if I really wanted, he could get it and tow us home but that he would have to do it commercially and that would cost about $600-$700! Upon hearing this, Cindy and I laughed, told him we'd pass and spend the rest of the night hobbling back home.

Because we were able to get Moby home and were still able to get out to Moab and have a great time, I had totally forgotten about this stupid experience. However, a week ago, I got an email survey from AAA asking how my experience was using their service back on May 13th. Needless to say, I used the opportunity to let them know. While I didn't expect anyone there to really care or do anything about what happened to us, I figured that maybe someone on their end might want to know. Well, much to my surprise, I got the following response from a Mary Whitehead.

In other words, sorry that we left you stranded along the side of the road in spite of the fact that you've paid for our services for well over 10 years but our driver determined he couldn't help you out unless you paid him $600-$700. Please refer back to Member Terms and Conditions to explain why you got screwed.

This is the response I just sent her but I doubt I she or anyone over at AAA is going to respond.

I have to say that I really am quite disappointed with AAA. Not only do I insure all 8 vehicles I own with them, I have paid for their roadside assistance for well over 10 years and have recommended their services to every Jeeper I know. Now that I know they'll leave you stranded on the side of a road if their technician determines "applicable services can't be performed legally and safely, with ordinary servicing equipment, which may include a sling and/or wheel lift devices, car carries and/or dollies", I no longer have a need for their services. Certainly, it would have been cheaper to just pay the $600-$700 than to have paid what I have over the last 10+ years.

That's bullshit. I used to be tow king.. (And you were there for most of the tows.) Their drivers towed me so many times they knew my jeep. Never got a response like you had. I would order a flatbed that could handle my 88" wide axles. Something's wrong or they changed the rules.
I'm going to call them and bitch for you and to see if I should cancel too.

mauijim

There's a lot of tow companies that will extort you and depending on how far out and proximity of another tow company will just use their license to steal. I had a car flipped over on its side while parked on a logging road while I was hiking and came back to find it tipped over in the ditch. Contacted the local sheriff and came back and my car was gone. Found out 4 hours later a tow truck had towed it and put it in a barn and the dam sheriff was his brother and held my car hostage till I paid them cash. I know sounds like a movie but this happened to me years ago. I've never trusted tow trucks since

jeffj

Caught the Bug
CANCELLING My AAA Premier Road Side Assistance

Man that really does suck. Like you said there are good people that will help for free and if not it might be cheaper to save the money and pay. This almost has the same inconsistencies between jeep dealerships with a lift. Some are great and some throw you to the curb.

Top Bottom