CANCELED My AAA Premier Road Side Assistance - Think You're Covered? Think Again

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I guess I have been lucky over the years with all my lowered cars, which usually required me to sign saying they wouldn't damage anything and that I was responsible which I was fine because normally I could take off a bumper or figure out a safe way on and off the truck. Last time when I had my jeep towed they got a little angry on the phone when the dealer wouldn't touch it since they needed to know where it was going. I did have 2 awesome drivers tho who the first one told me he just needed to be careful due to the height of the jeep from where it was originally being towed from, and the 2nd was just an all around nice guy.

This makes me really question paying for the upgraded service now for the longer tows which I got basically because I dont trust my jeep that much. Seeing as my bmw is modified as well it seems pointless.

fmdualexhaust

As a retired truck driver, I say fuck AAA.
I dropped my membership 35 years ago when I realized how anti-truck they were.
I have pretty much the same coverage on my insurance policy for just a few bucks a year.

Topking

I was considering AAA also thnx for the info . I'd rather just get a trailer of my own. there is a few good recovery pages that are always willing to lend a hand.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

blacker1

What a total bummer to hear this, but many thanks for sharing your experience being that I was contemplating getting their roadside assistance. Now I will not.

Bigjimbo

I added roadside to my Geico plan. Never had any towing issues and it's only a couple dollars extra a month.

My worst experience was actually humourous looking back, but a ball joint broke on my truck and the only thing holding the wheel on was my SS brake line. The tow truck driver that looked at my high lift and said "my grandpa had one of those!!". He had no clue how to use it so I had to do all of the work... Which happened to be a day I wore a suit to work. It had to be interesting for everyone sitting in traffic to watch me recover the vehicle (partially in a ditch) while Bobby in greasy shorts and work boots watched me do all the work....in a suit.

Hefe

as a former AAA Wrecker driver I can attest to the fact that they tend to underpay their tow truck companies (and that trickles down to the drivers) ...

however for the cost, I have a hard time canceling my AAA Premier RV coverage https://michigan.aaa.com/Membership/PlusPremierRV.aspx
I have had pretty decent experiences with trucks, big trailers, even my dune buggy...
been with them for many many years

seems like you got a pissy driver who was (most likely) underpaid, and/or overworked ... or just a jackass!

kinda sucks....

but remember... many drivers are "Truck Guys"... and would love to haul something as sexy as Moby!
not to mention... get Moby on a flatbed... I could stick my head up under there and marvel in all the massive upgrades! :drool:

~Hefe

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that I had not heard back from AAA since the last time I spoke with them and was asked to hold off on the cancellation of my premier membership, I contacted them yet again and requested this be done now. To this, I was asked to be patient a just bit longer so that the matter could be looked into and today, I received the following email. Apparently, this message was sent to my representative by Dongie Royster, the Member Experience Supervisor.

Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:40 AM
To: Eddie Oh
Subject: The response I received:

Good morning Annette,

Regarding Mr. Oh's ERS complaint, Mary did reply to his concerns via email through ERS Survey and explained our membership terms and limitation. Mr. Oh requested towing for his Jeep Wrangler which is modified (see attached picture) and was denied towing. With the information Mary provided, Mr. Oh since then posted his experience through a Jeep Forum https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?46446-CANCELLING-My-AAA-Premier-Road-Side-Assistance. Mr. Oh was denied towing as the driver couldnt safely tow the vehicle because of the modification. Since then Mr. Oh has sent pictures of vehicle similar to his being towed. We cannot address those situation, we can only address his.

Per our membership:
We have some coverage limits to protect our Members, the Service Providers who provide services for us and to comply with the law. Service will be rendered where it can be done safely for the Member, vehicle and Service Provider. This means we do not provide service to:
• Vehicles or trailers that have been altered, lowered, loaded or constructed in a way that interferes with the safe rendering of service.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have additional question.

Dongie Royster
Member Experience Supervisor
AAA Northern California, Nevada, & Utah
801.401.6623 | dongie.mangabat@norcal.aaa.com

There you have it and right from the top. I must say that I was interested to see that they found WAYALIFE and this thread even though I NEVER made mention of either. Of course, in spite it, they are clearly choosing to hold their ground. While that's not surprising, it is disappointing see and it's why I have made yet another request to cancel my so called "service" and have the balance of my annual payment refunded to me. Certainly, there's no reason to pay for help that I might really need, if there's no guarantee they'll provide it.

I should note that Annette was in fact very pleasant to work with and she seemed genuinely interested in helping me even though I had not asked for it. It's a shame the company she works for is incapable of learning from her.
IMG_5055.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Wow. Classic response: 'We understand your concern but we still don't really give a fuck.' Typical response these days from lots of companies. Sorry you had to go through it. Hopefully you find another service that can meet your needs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Classic response: 'We understand your concern but we still don't really give a fuck.' Typical response these days from lots of companies. Sorry you had to go through it. Hopefully you find another service that can meet your needs.

Yup, what I expected and why I never even attempted to complain about what happened. From the beginning, I simply asked to have my service or should I say, lack there of cancelled. I knew they didn't give a hoot about me and would do nothing to make things right. Funny how they send out surveys and when they don't hear what they want, they blame the customer for not reading the terms and conditions. Had they apologized for not helping me and just given me a gratuitous "we'll look into the matter" instead of giving me the finger, I might still be a customer of theirs. Clearly, they don't care if I leave or that I will now take the 8 vehicles that I insure with them to another company. Of course, this is to say nothing about the fact that they know all of you have been following this and they still stand by their policies. Needless to say, the next time one of you need their help - don't count on it.

Interesting how an additional $600 to the driver would have resolved the "safety" issue.

Funny how they keep looking past that point. :naw:

TheCodeMonk

Wow that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that they're so unbending.

I'm not insured through them but I am subscribed to their roadside assistance (though possibly not for much longer). They've almost always been helpful in the past for me but that's probably more a reflection on the local tow companies than them. Who will you go to for your roadside assistance services now? I'll be asking around more about this now and checking in with my own vehicle insurance company on their policies on my modified jeep to see if it would be worth switching to them or not.

jgatl

Yup, what I expected and why I never even attempted to complain about what happened. From the beginning, I simply asked to have my service or should I say, lack there of cancelled.

That sucks. I would have thought their response would have been, we will have to charge something extra for flat-beds, but that's (some reasonable) amount, not $600-700. Thanks for posting, I wouldn't have known about this specific clause at AAA.

vgullotta

That's crazy! I've been a AAA member for 18 years, never had an issue with ANY of my Jeeps, modified or not. I even blew the rear tire of my motorcycle and the driver just strapped it up, even said "this is probably not legal haha" and then towed it to my house for me cause I was stuck on the side of 101 and it was a dangerous spot to be stuck in. So crazy that they would back this one jackass who is very obviously violating his agreement with AAA. If he's going to show up and say "no, I can't do it safely", that's one thing. But to show up and be like, "no I can't do it safely for free, but I can do it safely and gouge you", I would think AAA would WANT to bash this guy, cause he's probably stealing from all of the AAA customers he gets whenever he can.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that they're so unbending.

I'm not insured through them but I am subscribed to their roadside assistance (though possibly not for much longer). They've almost always been helpful in the past for me but that's probably more a reflection on the local tow companies than them. Who will you go to for your roadside assistance services now? I'll be asking around more about this now and checking in with my own vehicle insurance company on their policies on my modified jeep to see if it would be worth switching to them or not.

As mentioned, I've had AAA roadside assistance and been a Premier Member for well over 10 years. Anyone who knows me knows, I have always highly recommending their services if only because they had been so helpful in the past. Now that I know their help is not guaranteed, that they'll allow their drivers to extort me or be denied service on the grounds that it's "unsafe" to tow my Jeep and stand by them, I no longer see a need to keep paying for their so called service.

It's easy to get a tow truck to come out and help you even if you don't have roadside assistance. Even if I had to pay the $600 that the driver in question was extorting me for, that still would have been cheaper than paying for Premium Roadside Assistance for as long as I have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks. I would have thought their response would have been, we will have to charge something extra for flat-beds, but that's (some reasonable) amount, not $600-700. Thanks for posting, I wouldn't have known about this specific clause at AAA.

I wouldn't have known about it either. I only know about it because that's the reason their driver gave when he chose to not help me unless I paid him $600-$700.

That's crazy! I've been a AAA member for 18 years, never had an issue with ANY of my Jeeps, modified or not. I even blew the rear tire of my motorcycle and the driver just strapped it up, even said "this is probably not legal haha" and then towed it to my house for me cause I was stuck on the side of 101 and it was a dangerous spot to be stuck in. So crazy that they would back this one jackass who is very obviously violating his agreement with AAA. If he's going to show up and say "no, I can't do it safely", that's one thing. But to show up and be like, "no I can't do it safely for free, but I can do it safely and gouge you", I would think AAA would WANT to bash this guy, cause he's probably stealing from all of the AAA customers he gets whenever he can.

And really, had AAA just given me a little reassurance that what had happened isn't normal and that they would look into it, I would have been satisfied. For them to back their driver the way they are and with their policies and this in spite of the fact that he agreed to help me out if I were willing to pay him $600-$700 is just ridiculous. This literally can happen to any one of you and at any time. To me, it's just not worth it.

Top Bottom