Cb install

TmansTj

Also just cause you bought a new antenna doesn't mean it is picking up like it should , I ran into this problem and had to replace my fire stick . Try switching antennas with your buddy and see if it changes anything . If so you know that is or isn't the problem

jkrossi

Go to your local electronic store buy the same one see what happens and if somthing is wrong with the unit return it. Or if it does the same thung return the one you got from.the store.

TmansTj

All antennas new out of the package have different swr settings ~ some are more out of tune than others

TmansTj

Also just cause you can get out doesn't mean the antenna is good . Call some truck repair shops or pawn shops and ask if they know of a good cb repairman . Having yours peaked and tuned will gain you about 25-40 watts .

silverbackjk

A friend of mine has and he loves it. Be patient and once you get it set up im sure you wil too.

Yea my buddy that has it and it is really nice setup. Takes up no space and works for our needs. Of communication on the trails. I'll toy with it in the morning more.:thumb:

TmansTj

Only reason I suggested peaking and tuning is they will check your swr settings and ratings when they look at it . And most will tweak all your final settings once its back in your jeep at no charge . Definitely worth the $ later on down the road if you use it much . Some will charge you just 10-15$ to adjust swr settings while in your vehicle if you don't want it turned up on power output . I am running the same setup as you ( cobra )

jeeeep

Hooked
Swapping antennas won't do you any good since it needs to be adjusted to your radio - the next antenna will probably give you the same results.

Since the radio you have does not have a built in SWR meter, you should consider buying one to test with. Radio Shack has them and they are not expensive. Typically you check your SWR on channels 20, 1, 40. Also, tune it where you have open space around you - it makes a difference.

The antenna you have is adjustable, remove the top cap and you'll see a set screw, you can loosen the set ring and adjust the screw in and out depending on your SWR readings.

This will help you dial in your antenna:

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

TmansTj

Swapping antennas is how I found out mine went bad , swr meters are great . But using a friend and his radio and turning screw out by 1/4 turn increments should do just fine. If your on a budget - that's the fun part is just messing around with it till you get it right .

silverbackjk

Swapping antennas won't do you any good since it needs to be adjusted to your radio - the next antenna will probably give you the same results.

Since the radio you have does not have a built in SWR meter, you should consider buying one to test with. Radio Shack has them and they are not expensive. Typically you check your SWR on channels 20, 1, 40. Also, tune it where you have open space around you - it makes a difference.

The antenna you have is adjustable, remove the top cap and you'll see a set screw, you can loosen the set ring and adjust the screw in and out depending on your SWR readings.

This will help you dial in your antenna:

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

What swr meter does everyone recommend?

Marauder

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372207463.260311.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372207475.536364.jpg
I ran a 1/2 inch loop termination to a 10guage wire and placed it around the nylon spacer so it meets the frame of my carrier. I then ran it under to the frame. I have bought an amazon swr meter and sorted out the tunable firestick. After having major issues like you are describing this worked for me. (disclosure: I am not a cb wiz or engineer. But this sorted out my issues.)

Top Bottom