"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

davidc128

Havoc offroad claims to be amreican made and competes with smitty bilt prices... 299.99 for 9k steel rope engo usa makes there winches... dont know if they are worth a shit i havent ran one but it will b the next winch i buy

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
LOL! You make it sound like like we're talking about Walmart brand designer jeans versus a pair of Levi's. It is a winch - a "SAFETY" item and while I may not be as experienced as you, I have seen U.S. made WARN winches work reliably again and again and I have seen a ton of China winches that always seem to fail when you really need them to work most.

Funny, I've been to the WARN manufacturing facility in Oregon and watched how they are meticulously made from beginning to end by hard working Americans. It seemed to me that most of what I've paid for was quality materials and skilled labor but then, that's just my opinion. I haven't been to China to see how they make Smittyblit winches.

If we were talking about parachutes instead of winches, I'd have to wonder if we would even be having this discussion now.

I would argue that most people don't even need a winch at all especially if they wheel in off road parks with a ton of other guys.

I'm going to quote these, from earlier in the thread, for all you guys that only seem to read the title, or the last three posts, then throw in a comment.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Look at the warn winch...China will be stamped on plate, and Mexico also makes them...its not all american but maybe logo is

The 2 we have are made in USA.

0502170925.jpg

0502170926.jpg

I guess Warn has this big ass factory in Oregon for the sole purpose of receiving their outsourced parts :crazyeyes:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

LearJeff

Man, I am glad I read this entire thread today! I love the point, counterpoint, counter-counterpoint back and forth. Even if the banter gets a little "testy" here and there, the sheer amount of information presented is awesome for me as a consumer who is about to buy his first winch. Thanks to everyone for posting their comments, personal experiences and observations. I was pretty close to clicking "Confirm Order" on something other than a Warn today but I listened to that little voice that told me to do just a little more research! I did and here I am. Going to save a few more bucks and go with a Warn. Thanks y'all!

Man, I am glad I read this entire thread today! I love the point, counterpoint, counter-counterpoint back and forth. Even if the banter gets a little "testy" here and there, the sheer amount of information presented is awesome for me as a consumer who is about to buy his first winch. Thanks to everyone for posting their comments, personal experiences and observations. I was pretty close to clicking "Confirm Order" on something other than a Warn today but I listened to that little voice that told me to do just a little more research! I did and here I am. Going to save a few more bucks and go with a Warn. Thanks y'all!

Well, I do not believe you will ever hear anyone saying I wish I would have purchased the Shittybilt instead of my Warn....

Also, to comment... I would bring up a post I seen before and without crawling the entire length of this thread and it may have been on another thread or even another forum but it was pretty much to the comments about Warn being built in China....

The VR series is built in China but unlike some other cheap Chinese junk, Warn very closely monitors the construction to insure they are still built to their standards... It is kind of the same if you look at an Iphone... It is built in China but I do not hear anyone complaining about it... A quality item can be built by the Chinese but you have to make sure you supervise them very closely otherwise corners will invariably get cut and you wind up with a Shittybilt product. The other series of Warn are all made here...

On another note.... I have a Warn 8274 that even with bad solenoids still never failed to function... It is probably 25-30 years old... I do no know how old exactly because I am not the first owner but I have had it for over 20 years (almost 25). i do not believe you will find any other manufacturers winches standing up to that test of time...

I will also add that I do not work for Warn but wish I had affiliation as it would make getting new ropes for my winch and a new solenoid pack that much cheaper.... Hell I wish I worked or had any good connections for Off-Road parts as this stuff gets expensive... :cheesy:

USMC Wrangler

Also, to comment... I would bring up a post I seen before and without crawling the entire length of this thread and it may have been on another thread or even another forum but it was pretty much to the comments about Warn being built in China....

This might be in the ballpark of what you are referring to. I had sent Warn a message when I was considering the Gen II VR before I got my Zeon...

IMG_3176.jpg

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

Mine showed up yesterday. It didn't even cross my mind to go with anything else....
IMG_4505.jpg

whatsupdoc2day

I have owned several different winch BC this is my third jeep. I have owned a Ramsey, and two smitty. All three have worked fine probably BC they have only been used a few times each year. A winch on my jeeps are basically to pull others out. I have a Rubicon and have failed to stick it yet. If I get stuck I have been able to back out each time so far. A winch to me is like a fire extinguisher... Hardly ever used but go to have when needed. I live in Arkansas where offroading is plentiful. If someone here gets stuck, you can bet a good ole boy is close with a winch. Winches are like tires...toyo vs federal...both are good but toyo is best if money available. Both do job usually. If you need other things on jeep...buy cheaper where u have funds for lights, beer, or camping gear...if money is no problem...drop wife off, get a hooker and a warn winch. This way u know for sure its going to crank u out of hard place where u his her good... Lol

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Look at the warn winch...China will be stamped on plate, and Mexico also makes them...its not all american but maybe logo is

Well I'm sure glad you chimed in to clear that up. When I visited their manufacturing facility in Oregon and watched a Zeon being built down to gears being made from blank steel and wiring harnesses being assembled by hand. Man, they sure had me fooled.

A winch on my jeeps are basically to pull others out. I have a Rubicon and have failed to stick it yet. If I get stuck I have been able to back out each time so far.

badass.jpg

A winch to me is like a fire extinguisher... Hardly ever used but go to have when needed.

As in, a fire extinguisher is a piece of SAFETY equipment. Sure would suck if it didn't work if your engine ever caught fire.

I live in Arkansas where offroading is plentiful. If someone here gets stuck, you can bet a good ole boy is close with a winch.

Well that explains everything. I live out in Northern Nevada and there isn't any wheeling out here.

Winches are like tires...toyo vs federal...both are good but toyo is best if money available. Both do job usually.

Not exactly. Unlike a winch, if a tire fails on the trail, you can always install the spare you're carrying on the back of your Jeep.

SilverBack775

And here's my .02 cents! As a new jeeper myself, slowly building! As sexy and attractive as the price of a smittybilt is, I would rather run no winch at all and save up for a warn. I strongly believe there are somethings you just don't skimp on. Smittybuilt are probably built in mass production in a sweatshop. Lol, I don't know! Just a guess! I've seen the Warn winches made up in Oregon. I've watched the video on the warn being made up there, and the video alone tells me that warn is the right choice!

wardawg

Myself and two friends have the x20 and the wireless stopped working on all three. The red on/off switch is the culprit. Also fyi, your remote still works when wired; it's just the wireless that quits. The fix was simple. I just opened the box and bypassed that switch and haven't had another issue to speak of. Smittybilt gets a lot of hate on the forums but I really don't understand it. I have seen a warn overheat during a recovery where the x20 was able to pull the jeep out no problem. I haven't seen mine overheat yet and it has recovered jeeps stuck in thick mud up to the frame. Warn is great. No doubt about it. I just personally think a big portion of the price tag is the name. If I were buying another winch today, I would be ordering the X20 again. It's not that I can't afford the Warn, I just don't see the need to overspend (IMHO).

You should look at a winch as safety equipment and safety equipment should NEVER be bought based on cost. It should be bought based on what is best. I started off with a Smittybilt so I know where some of you guys are coming from. BUT, put yourself out on a trail stuck and your winch quits working. What good is that 20 year warranty then? My remote quit working on mine and I never trusted it after that.

Top Bottom