Colorado week of 4th of July

anviljk

So there is a event this weekend. So some of the trails will be busy. But I will check to see what ones they're not doing. Don't want to get stuck behind 15 to 20 people. Make a 4 hour trail take 8.

Sent from my SM-N920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Colorado10A

aTX427

Both passes still closed by snow from what I read this morning....but I suspect Taylor will be open by 7/5. I will be up in CB same time. Pearl maybe open late July.

* Aspen Mountain to Taylor pass to Italian Creek to Hwy 135 North to Crested Butte
* Crested Butte to Peal Pass to Hwy 15 North pass (Cathedral Lake) back to Aspen

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

aTX427

Both still closed by snow from what I read this morning....but I suspect Taylor will be open by 7/5. I will be up in CB same time. Pearl maybe open late July.

* Aspen Mountain to Taylor pass to Italian Creek to Hwy 135 North to Crested Butte
* Crested Butte to Peal Pass to Hwy 15 North pass (Cathedral Lake) back to Aspen
Adding to this that the river/creek section of Taylor Pass may be running high still that early in July.

jonlipin

@aTX427 for Sunday, we can look into Bunce School Rd. / Ironclads / T-33 Site. Its close to the Middle St. Vrain / Coney Flats trail. If you are still in that area we could easily shoot over there the next day.

Anyone know if there are any closures on these trails?

WJCO

Meme King
@aTX427 for Sunday, we can look into Bunce School Rd. / Ironclads / T-33 Site. Its close to the Middle St. Vrain / Coney Flats trail. If you are still in that area we could easily shoot over there the next day.

Anyone know if there are any closures on these trails?

They are all open, but fair warning: 4th of July weekend is very popular in this area. Shitloads of ATVs. I was on the T33 trail last Friday and saw a ton of ATVs and sidexsides, I can't imagine what it's like on a busy weekend. And the trail is narrow with not too many spots to get over. Starting early may be a good option. As far as the main Bunce trail, it's busy and dusty, but lots of spots to get over.

jonlipin

Thanks for the heads up! I suppose most everything is going to be busy this weekend. Do you have any suggestions for alternatives?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the heads up! I suppose most everything is going to be busy this weekend. Do you have any suggestions for alternatives?

The only other trail in the same area that is a decent length is Rock Creek (Ski Road). It's pretty easy but is scenic. Over by highway 36 toward Estes is Pole Hill but I've never done it, supposedly it's easy and you can spend all day in there, lots of forks/loops.

anviljk

Anyone interested in doing Holy Cross on Monday or Tuesday?
So I just talked to a guy I know. He ran it on the 17th said there was heavy snow after French Creek. It has been warm and the snow may have melted. He is running it Saturday and will let me know if it's open.

Sent from my SM-N920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

Cool. Let me know. I somewhat playing it by ear and don't mind doing lower elevation runs if needed

aTX427

I plan on coming back out for the 4th of July week again this year if any of the CO members are interested in getting together. I am thinking about do MSV, Red Cone, Red Elephant, Holy Cross, Chinaman and Spring Creek.

WJCO

Meme King
I plan on coming back out for the 4th of July week again this year if any of the CO members are interested in getting together. I am thinking about do MSV, Red Cone, Red Elephant, Holy Cross, Chinaman and Spring Creek.

I'm down for at least a few of those. I definitely want to do Spring Creek and Slimebones thinks I can do Holy Cross. Im not so sure myself, that trail looks intense.

Slimebones

I'm down for at least a few of those. I definitely want to do Spring Creek and Slimebones thinks I can do Holy Cross. Im not so sure myself, that trail looks intense.

Aside from the end of Holy Cross (Cleveland Rock), I think you would reallly excel at Holy Cross. You know how to pick lines and there is always the winch! What do you think John, since you ran it last year? Just makes for a very long day from Denver, but worth it.

edit: you beat me to it

Slimebones

Red Elephant was fun, huh. Still remember those two in the Nissan Xterra's wishing they were not there!!! Ha.

Top Bottom