Compressor

TonyT

Caught the Bug
What about a portable compressor? 37s.

I've been running 37's since I lifted my JK back in 2009.

I started with the single ARB mounted under the hood. 12 up to 38 psi took 6 minutes each tire and it would shut off due to heat on the third tire most of the time. After about 10 minutes I could finish up.

I then went to a VIAR 440P, better at about 4 minutes a tire and could do all 4 without shutting down, but afterward it was difficult finding a spot to let it cool down. I ruined a tent, and a few other things that shifted while driving and leaned up against it.

Then I went to C02. It's incredibly fast. 7psi to 38psi in about 1:40. The only drawback is planning ahead and getting the tank filled prior to wheeling. I just bought the Powertank Kit, then a 20# cylinder from the local welding supply store. That way I just go in and swap it over for a filled one. ($18 each time) I don't run air tools off of it, I tried a reciprocating saw once when I cut my factory flares and was surprised how fast it drained a full tank.

A friend of mine has the ARB Twin Compressor and its awesome. I think I will pick one up as a backup when I neglect to fill my C02 tank. The only problem is after he fills his (he's on 35's,) and I'm airing up my 37's, the compressor gets hot, the lines soften and blow-out. I'm not sure if thats common, or just an issue with the way he has everything plumbed.

Good luck. A friend of mine always says "It's twice as expensive if you have to do it twice." So really consider what you need and go above that. Also, don't forget to take into account the hoses and inflator you use. The VIAIR inflator that came with the 440P was junk. It inhibited air flow. I used an ARB inflator and it was significantly better.

deezus

I started with the single ARB mounted under the hood. 12 up to 38 psi took 6 minutes each tire and it would shut off due to heat on the third tire most of the time. After about 10 minutes I could finish up.

I then went to a VIAR 440P, better at about 4 minutes a tire and could do all 4 without shutting down, but afterward it was difficult finding a spot to let it cool down. I ruined a tent, and a few other things that shifted while driving and leaned up against it.

Then I went to C02. It's incredibly fast. 7psi to 38psi in about 1:40. The only drawback is planning ahead and getting the tank filled prior to wheeling. I just bought the Powertank Kit, then a 20# cylinder from the local welding supply store. That way I just go in and swap it over for a filled one. ($18 each time) I don't run air tools off of it, I tried a reciprocating saw once when I cut my factory flares and was surprised how fast it drained a full tank.

A friend of mine has the ARB Twin Compressor and its awesome. I think I will pick one up as a backup when I neglect to fill my C02 tank. The only problem is after he fills his (he's on 35's,) and I'm airing up my 37's, the compressor gets hot, the lines soften and blow-out. I'm not sure if thats common, or just an issue with the way he has everything plumbed.

Good luck. A friend of mine always says "It's twice as expensive if you have to do it twice." So really consider what you need and go above that. Also, don't forget to take into account the hoses and inflator you use. The VIAIR inflator that came with the 440P was junk. It inhibited air flow. I used an ARB inflator and it was significantly better.

Thanks man.

blrr0311

I run a twin ARB compressor as well. Mounted in the engine bay. During the winter ARB cools ways down and I dont need to stop. Recently when I went wheeling at Death Valley, my fuse blew due to the heat. Therefore, ARB is great but you must watch or give it a break when you are airing up. Also my air line blew because of the hot air blowing out due to the weather.

Overall I like it. But just has its pros and cons. Another way to prevent such problem is to have a tank.

Why do you run your tires at 38psi? Just curious...

JoeB-JKURX

Automatic

At looks like I'm gonna get a portable and just take my time.

If you are looking at the Viair portables, I'd encourage you to get one with a pressure switch that cuts the compressor off at around 150 psi. You never have to hit the on-off switch until you are finished using the compressor while for those without the pressure switch you have to turn the compressor off between tires. I have a Viair 400PA that gets about 2.3 CFM and will fill my 35s from 10 to 30 psi in less than 5 minutes each. I have filled mine and then filled 4 37s from 10-28 psi with the only time the compressor was off was after the pressure switch cut it off as I was switching between tires. It will run at pressures up to 40 psi for 40 minutes before the thermal cutoff (per the instruction manual). I've never had mine cut off even if I filled the tires on three Jeeps (the most I have done at one time). I got mine 2 years ago for $179 but I see they are going on Amazon for about $250 now.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My arb twin is 100% duty cycle and does each 35" tire from 10-28 psi in about 1:30. It has done 37's in about 2 mins.

WJCO

Meme King
For those of you running the ARB twin, for the main power cable that comes with it, how long is it? I was set on an ARB portable single setup, but now I'm considering the twin but just doing OBA, it's not a bunch more unless I have to by more stuff to install it. I assume I'd also have to purchase or build a mounting system for it. Problem is, I have NO extra room in my engine bay, so I'd have to install it inside the Jeep. Basically, what do I need to run the twin compressor? Is it all included or do I have to buy a lot more stuff. I DO NOT have lockers nor plan on doing that any time soon.

Last edited:

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
For those of you running the ARB twin, for the main power cable that comes with it, how long is it? I was set on an ARB portable single setup, but now I'm considering the twin but just doing OBA, it's not a bunch more unless I have to by more stuff to install it. I assume I'd also have to purchase or build a mounting system for it. Problem is, I have NO extra room in my engine bay, so I'd have to install it inside the Jeep. Basically, what do I need to run the twin compressor? Is it all included or do I have to buy a lot more stuff. I DO NOT have lockers nor plan on doing that any time soon.

My twin mounts on the driver's side and battery is on the passenger's side. I think there is an extra foot so maybe 4'. The entire wiring harness is included. Comes with relays and a rocker switch. You would just need to buy the tire pump kit or something similar.

Brute

Hooked

I had an arb single in the engine bay to run a rear locker and air up 35"s on the Brute...took 2 min 20 secs to air up per tire from 10 psi to 30 psi...just barely within the duty cycle, and the compressor was hot. When I added an air locker to the front and went to 37"s, I added an arb twin in tandem to the single and located it between the frame rails. I ran the intake lines from both compressors to an arb diff breather kit bolted to the bed roll cage at bed rail height to prevent water ingestion (I also used another diff breather kit to run the diff & tcase tubes to a similar location). I now air up 37"s in 1 min 25 sec per tire.

I'm going with an arb twin and tank located behind the front seats in the JK6...

WJCO

Meme King
I'm entertaining the idea of running a 0 gauge wire to the rear inside the Jeep and mounting both the compressor and welder inside....looking at lots of options. The WJ V8 doesn't allow for a lot of room in the engine compartment.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Why do you run your tires at 38psi? Just curious...

It's the sweet spot that I get the best ride and tread wear on my Goodyears (MTRK 37x12.5R17 on ATX Slabs) I get about 40-45K miles out of a tire, assuming I don't rip it open on the trail and use the cert from Discount.

True it does air up faster but there are cons as well. What if you run out of air? If a compressor overheats you just have to wait if you run out your out. Also the cost of the unit and filling it every time and the time it takes to get it filled. I have gone out every weekend for the last 5 weeks. I don't want to go get it filled every week.

But it does work fast. Both toons have upsides and downsides. Another option is the warn powerplant which will give you a winch as well.

I have the arb compressor for my front and rear lockers. I planned on using it as my on board air system for filling up after wheeling trips. I actually have the arb hose connect and gauge but haven't used it yet (lockers were put in just a couple weeks ago). Is it bad to use the arb compressor to fill up four 35+ tires? Last thing I want to do is kill my arb compressor for the lockers. I assumed that compressor was capable of handling it.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I have the arb compressor for my front and rear lockers. I planned on using it as my on board air system for filling up after wheeling trips. I actually have the arb hose connect and gauge but haven't used it yet (lockers were put in just a couple weeks ago). Is it bad to use the arb compressor to fill up four 35+ tires? Last thing I want to do is kill my arb compressor for the lockers. I assumed that compressor was capable of handling it.

ARB CKMA12? That's what I used for a while. Burnt it out pretty quick. ARB was awesome and replaced it even though it was shortly after the warranty had timed out.

ARB CKMA12? That's what I used for a while. Burnt it out pretty quick. ARB was awesome and replaced it even though it was shortly after the warranty had timed out.

yea, that's the one. good to know your story. i was about to sell my portable one that i hook up to the battery to a buddy...might have to veto that sale lol.

WJCO

Meme King
yea, that's the one. good to know your story. i was about to sell my portable one that i hook up to the battery to a buddy...might have to veto that sale lol.

I really had my mind set on the portable style. Big difference in price between the single or twin. However, if I do the twin on-board instead of portable, it's not that much more. So I may go that route.

I really had my mind set on the portable style. Big difference in price between the single or twin. However, if I do the twin on-board instead of portable, it's not that much more. So I may go that route.

yea, i should have went twin out of the gate. i guess i've learned now after doubling up on mods, is just to do the superior one from the beginning lol

WJCO

Meme King
yea, i should have went twin out of the gate. i guess i've learned now after doubling up on mods, is just to do the superior one from the beginning lol

It happens. From the reviews I've looked at, the single kicked ass prior to the twin coming out.....hindsight...

Top Bottom