Control arms. Teraflex or Metalcloak

Rottenbelly

I did maintenance on my Mc joints after the first 2 years.
Took them apart, here's what I found.....
Before disassembly. ..

You can see that they actually had some rotation to them on the inside.

2 year old bushing next to a new one...

The bottom one is 2 years old, top one is new.

Still running the same ones with 4.5 years on them now.....
Just my 2 cents... I have had great luck with them.
Metalcloak gave me extra joints but I have never needed them yet. Still in a box in storage.
Are they maintenance free... no. Are they indestructible, no. I have heard of some failing.
But no many, and not near as many as Teraflex.

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

So when did this become a MC argument thread?

I don't know why everyone that has MC has to feel like they have to defend them? I have RK control arms and wish I had something better.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did maintenance on my Mc joints after the first 2 years.
Took them apart, here's what I found.....
Before disassembly. ..

You can see that they actually had some rotation to them on the inside.

2 year old bushing next to a new one...

The bottom one is 2 years old, top one is new.

Still running the same ones with 4.5 years on them now.....
Just my 2 cents... I have had great luck with them.
Metalcloak gave me extra joints but I have never needed them yet. Still in a box in storage.
Are they maintenance free... no. Are they indestructible, no. I have heard of some failing.
But no many, and not near as many as Teraflex.

Thanks for posting these and I appreciate you noting that maintenance is required.

As I had stated on page 1 on this thread, of the 2 choices, I would recommend the Metalcloak joints over the Teraflex ones and I stated my reasons why.

Rottenbelly

Thanks for posting these and I appreciate you noting that maintenance is required.

As I had stated on page 1 on this thread, of the 2 choices, I would recommend the Metalcloak joints over the Teraflex ones and I stated my reasons why.

Roger that. I saw your statement on page 1.
I was trying to remain neutral on the point. I also agree with the needed maintenance.
Just trying to give some insight on how the bushing acted in the housing.
If that joint dried up and the bushing couldn't rotate in the housing I don't imagine it would be good for it.

chitown35

LOSER
Your Jeep weighs 5,000 lbs. or more. Your axle weighs a couple hundred pounds - maybe more depending on what you have. You say that rotating the joint becomes "more difficult" by hand (although I would disagree) but it wouldn't take much for that much weight on both ends plus gravity to move it around.
I think that's the point - that it can move. But it's about the path of least resistance. The rubber will flex some before the joint moves.

Every driveway you pull into, every speed bump you hit, every turn you take, every time you start or stop, etc. will all cause your suspension to move and in most cases, by quite a bit. Certainly, way more than I think you're imagining unless you're Jeep has a shitty hard ride.
So I believe it was maybe 20 degrees of movement before it got to the more difficult part when moving the control arm. And yes, the ride is a littler firmer than stock, but not a ton. And it's nice to be able to use that to corner faster (esp since I have my new 5/8" rear sway bar in :) ).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Roger that. I saw your statement on page 1.
I was trying to remain neutral on the point. I also agree with the needed maintenance.
Just trying to give some insight on how the bushing acted in the housing.
If that joint dried up and the bushing couldn't rotate in the housing I don't imagine it would be good for it.

With continued maintenance, I have no doubts that your joints will last a long time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think that's the point - that it can move. But it's about the path of least resistance. The rubber will flex some before the joint moves.

So I believe it was maybe 20 degrees of movement before it got to the more difficult part when moving the control arm. And yes, the ride is a littler firmer than stock, but not a ton. And it's nice to be able to use that to corner faster (esp since I have my new 5/8" rear sway bar in :) ).

Cool story bro. Forget that I said anything at all and never give your joints another thought :thumb:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I guess I wasn't supposed to contribute info from a manufacturer to the forum ( https://www.facebook.com/metalcloak/posts/10154560191169712 )? I'm not one who likes to keep my head in the sand, and am not afraid of having a discussion about something. I think the butthurt lies with those who don't like being disagreed with.

Dude, see post 41, and again, Wayoflife didn't say they were bad, just that they do require maintenance.

Anvil JKUR

Hey. I started this and tried to end it a couple times. I have zero brand loyalty. I believe in a scientific approach with a level of reason, common sense and the most important experience. I found myself going 360 degrees back to my original decision going with Currie I was trying to see if anyone who has found the Excalibur of control arms. (Wishful thinking) Thanks for ALL the knowledge. Only reason why I picked MC and TF is because that is what seems to be the running gear where I am.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I guess I wasn't supposed to contribute info from a manufacturer to the forum ( https://www.facebook.com/metalcloak/posts/10154560191169712 )? I'm not one who likes to keep my head in the sand, and am not afraid of having a discussion about something. I think the butthurt lies with those who don't like being disagreed with.

Wow your profile says you are "too new but hope to run stuff in Johnson valley." That's impressive that you are new to jeeps but are an expert in control arm joints. Either you are an engineer or stayed at a holiday inn last night. Either way I think getting fucked should be top on your list of things to do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I wasn't supposed to contribute info from a manufacturer to the forum ( https://www.facebook.com/metalcloak/posts/10154560191169712 )?

:yawn37: Like I said, guys like you are so easily sold and buy into the silliest things.

I'm not one who likes to keep my head in the sand, and am not afraid of having a discussion about something.

Sand isn't exactly where I was thinking you keep your head but it would seem that you're more interested in proving you're somehow right about something nobody really cares about. As I said, forget that I said anything at all and never give your joints another thought. :yup:

I think the butthurt lies with those who don't like being disagreed with.

You keep telling yourself that :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey. I started this and tried to end it a couple times. I have zero brand loyalty. I believe in a scientific approach with a level of reason, common sense and the most important experience. I found myself going 360 degrees back to my original decision going with Currie I was trying to see if anyone who has found the Excalibur of control arms. (Wishful thinking) Thanks for ALL the knowledge. Only reason why I picked MC and TF is because that is what seems to be the running gear where I am.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry for the derailment. I was just trying to make a point to others who might be interested that it wouldn't kill you to maintain the parts on your Jeep.

Top Bottom