Cost Differential 40s vs 37s!

tgoss

Nah. Prorocks for the win. Not a huge difference in price and much better ground clearance, strength, and built specifically for your Jeep.

Agreed. And no offense to anyone who has taken the time to do this, I know it's a lifelong argument because of the labor you have into them and the self pride, but nothing is going to compare to a purpose built application specific set of axle housings made by Dynatrac.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Agreed. And no offense to anyone who has taken the time to do this, I know it's a lifelong argument because of the labor you have into them and the self pride, but nothing is going to compare to a purpose built application specific set of axle housings made by Dynatrac.

But what about "built not bought". :idontknow: :crazy eyes:

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgoss

But what about "built not bought". :idontknow: :crazy eyes:

Well, in reality, you first need to buy things to build things. Be that materials, supplies or what have you. So that old adage leaves much to definition.

I also have another and it would relate well to me building my own axles.... I can either build a house, or I can buy one. The house I build is going to feature sticks, stones, mud and most likely shit and yeah I can have it for next to nothing. Or I go buy whatever the fvck is in my budget that I would actually want to live in.

Maybe that makes more sense :idontknow:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Well, in reality, you first need to buy things to build things. Be that materials, supplies or what have you. So that old adage leaves much to definition.

I also have another and it would relate well to me building my own axles.... I can either build a house, or I can buy one. The house I build is going to feature sticks, stones, mud and most likely shit and yeah I can have it for next to nothing. Or I go buy whatever the fvck is in my budget that I would actually want to live in.

Maybe that makes more sense :idontknow:

My post was meant as sarcasm.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

I don't think axles would be a problem. But your set up? Dtd is definitely a shop job. I'm even considering going to evo for long arm install. Getting old installing shit at an apartment. Lol

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
If you were moving from stock to 37s or moving from stock to 40s, what the cost difference?

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, but I'm already on 37s. Like everyone is said if you plan on sticking with 37s stick with rubicon axles with cs, gears and shafts when you break the stock ones. I built a front 44 and have a stock sahara rear and can't decide on sticking with a pr60 or spend 20k on full floats with everything.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Just a couple questions.

Can you get buy with normal control arms with 60s?

Can you get by without hydro? Considering the psc big bore.

Recommended lift height for 40s?

kawimoto

Realistically, most guys don't need 40s to go where they are actually going to take their rigs.... don't get me wrong I love the look of a jku on 40s with monster axles. But most guys skill level isn't there as a driver anyhow. furthermore, the sheer pucker factor of taking your new jeep out with all this money in it and going the places that 40s are required is another huge obstacle to face. 70k total for a vehicle to go smash on the rocks is a tall order for anyone out there. Watch the jkx vids. They take rigs on 37s places most wouldn't dream of taking their personal stuff most of the time. Just saying, before dropping the loot.... is it really necessary? are you really going to wheel it that hard? furthermore it's fun doing stuff on 37's. keeps it challenging without having to risk body damage all the time like a jeep on 40's would have to just to get challenged.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Realistically, most guys don't need 40s to go where they are actually going to take their rigs.... don't get me wrong I love the look of a jku on 40s with monster axles. But most guys skill level isn't there as a driver anyhow. furthermore, the sheer pucker factor of taking your new jeep out with all this money in it and going the places that 40s are required is another huge obstacle to face. 70k total for a vehicle to go smash on the rocks is a tall order for anyone out there. Watch the jkx vids. They take rigs on 37s places most wouldn't dream of taking their personal stuff most of the time. Just saying, before dropping the loot.... is it really necessary? are you really going to wheel it that hard? furthermore it's fun doing stuff on 37's. keeps it challenging without having to risk body damage all the time like a jeep on 40's would have to just to get challenged.

Well said. Would I be fine with 37s? Yes. I guess it's one of things I have 37s so I want something bigger. I love the look with the 40s. Theirs one trail where 40s would benefit me locally. Iam four hours away from rubicon and eight from Moab. My thing is if I have axles and 40s and End up not thinking the 20k+ was worth it. But I'm sure it would be.

kawimoto

Well said. Would I be fine with 37s? Yes. I guess it's one of things I have 37s so I want something bigger. I love the look with the 40s. Theirs one trail where 40s would benefit me locally. Iam four hours away from rubicon and eight from Moab. My thing is if I have axles and 40s and End up not thinking the 20k+ was worth it. But I'm sure it would be.

Man I'm with you! Trust me a rig on 40s looks perfect. IMO it's how a jk should look. But... an it's a big but, is that little bit of look worth 15-20k extra? I mean you said it yourself, there's only one trail that 40s would be ideal where your at. Honestly, that's most places. Plus all the places that "used to be fun" aren't on 40s anymore because there's no challenge. You just roll right through. Now your limited to how many fun trails you have.... imo not worth the loot.

kawimoto

Look at it this way... I bought a 2015 jku sport second owner with 19k miles for 28k. I put on rockkrawler lift, pr44 my front with 35 spline rcvs, are front and rear and 35 spline chromos out back. Then threw on 37s on slabs and there's very few places I cannot go. All in all I've got 45k-50k tops in my rig. Still don't like the idea of body damage but it's a 50k rig not a 100-120k evo built rig. With that extra money you can do so much elsewhere. And honestly there's not a lot of places that extra 50-70k is going to take you..... other than 60mph through desert whoops

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Look at it this way... I bought a 2015 jku sport second owner with 19k miles for 28k. I put on rockkrawler lift, pr44 my front with 35 spline rcvs, are front and rear and 35 spline chromos out back. Then threw on 37s on slabs and there's very few places I cannot go. All in all I've got 45k-50k tops in my rig. Still don't like the idea of body damage but it's a 50k rig not a 100-120k evo built rig. With that extra money you can do so much elsewhere. And honestly there's not a lot of places that extra 50-70k is going to take you..... other than 60mph through desert whoops

I guess it's also the reassurance with the 60s. But breaking 60s with 40s is probably close to breaking 44/44 or 44/60 with 37s.

kawimoto

I guess it's also the reassurance with the 60s. But breaking 60s with 40s is probably close to breaking 44/44 or 44/60 with 37s.

Very True! but say you are the rare guy.... that does play hard in the rough. you manage to break that 60/60 combo.... you gotta think about where you'll be when it breaks too. the possibility of damaging more shit just getting it off the trail is much higher as well. At the end of the day its just money and were all blowing tons of it to have fun. but that's where its no longer fun to me. having a 100k rig with busted r&p or shaft/locker and having to tear it up to get it off the trail. yes our dynatrac stuff is warrantied but they aren't going to come get you off the trail. finding a way off it without causing more damage is on you

TrailHunter

Hooked
I bet if you calculated the "FUN" differential between 33/35's and 37/40's it would be close to equal.

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
All I know is that the fun differential from 32s to 35s is enormous. I'm not sure if when going bigger you start to see diminishing returns though.

Agreed. I think guys rocking 40s just wanna play with the best toys and have the cash to blow. I'd love to make the jump from 37s to 40s, but at the end of the day that's a lot of money for me to throw down to play on the rocks.

aTX427

If I lived closer to the rock gardens, I would just get a purpose built buggy. Now I like driving my Jeep and 20 years from now, it's still a Jeep and there is something to be said for that. I hope 40's make a difference, but for me my trips are my vacations and I don't want to get cut short with a major break, so I'm going to PR60's. 37's work well on JK's in the rocks, but I they are kind of bastard size. Too big for Rubicon 44's and too small for Dana 60's. At the end of the day, I knew I would eventually break the Rubi 44's even if I beefed them up, so 60's were inevitable. 37's to 40's are 2-3x the cost, but pay once cry once.

Top Bottom