Covering my bases before I order

aermotor

Looks like the quote from dynatrac says they are 30 spline inner and 32 spline outer 4340 cromo shafts.
Is there a 35 spline shaft in the front I'm missing? Northridge has an option for a 35 spline ARB when you build it on their site (no clue if that's right or not though)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

You can run 35 spline but if I recall, only with the ARB and RCV shafts.

You can run 35 spline in the front with the G2 Gold shafts and ARB locker. At least I know you can with a Rubicon setup PR44.

If I was spending all that money anyway, I would do the 35 spline as the G2 are only slightly more than the Dynatrac I believe.

The rear 35 spline is the 147 non rubi and 157 for rubi.

Are you sure on that? I've done a lot of research and there was another guy who did it who said it was 147. Also there is a tech bulletin posted saying the 157 is not approved.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
You can run 35 spline in the front with the G2 Gold shafts and ARB locker. At least I know you can with a Rubicon setup PR44.

If I was spending all that money anyway, I would do the 35 spline as the G2 are only slightly more than the Dynatrac I believe.

I posted a little bit ago, mybadjk just had one of those G2 axles fail on him and from the look of the picture, the stub shaft looked really wollowed out like the ujoint wasn't sitting in it properly. Granted it may have been a one time occurrence, I wouldn't feel so comfy with them. It also took him a long time to get a replacement stub shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I posted a little bit ago, mybadjk just had one of those G2 axles fail on him and from the look of the picture, the stub shaft looked really wollowed out like the ujoint wasn't sitting in it properly. Granted it may have been a one time occurrence, I wouldn't feel so comfy with them. It also took him a long time to get a replacement stub shaft.

This ^^^^

After seeing mybadjk's failure and the way they've been "helping" him out, there's no way I'd want to run G2's.

aermotor

Well that's odd and unfortunate, not sure how often that happens or not. Is there a thread with photos of the break?

Someone said there were Nitro shafts but I'm not sure.

desertrunner

Is there a big benefit to run the 35 spline in the front, sounds like the G2 I should stay away from but as mentioned above nitro makes them also I might take a look into that. If I'm not going to gain that much by having 35 spline in the front I'll prob just go dynatrac. I am going to run 37s on this set up so if I need the spline beef I'll look into the nitro but if the U joint is going to be the limfac I should be just fine with dynatracs 30 inner and 32 outer I would imagine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that's odd and unfortunate, not sure how often that happens or not. Is there a thread with photos of the break?

Someone said there were Nitro shafts but I'm not sure.

Not sure why it would be odd but it is unfortunate the way G2 isn't taking care of him.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

desertrunner

Are you sure on that? I've done a lot of research and there was another guy who did it who said it was 147. Also there is a tech bulletin posted saying the 157 is not approved.
According to ARB website the 147 is the 35 spline for 3.73 and down and the 109 is the 35 spline 3.92 and up so for the REAR 44 looks like I need to buy the 109?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a big benefit to run the 35 spline in the front, sounds like the G2 I should stay away from but as mentioned above nitro makes them also I might take a look into that. If I'm not going to gain that much by having 35 spline in the front I'll prob just go dynatrac. I am going to run 37s on this set up so if I need the spline beef I'll look into the nitro but if the U joint is going to be the limfac I should be just fine with dynatracs 30 inner and 32 outer I would imagine.

Like I said, I was able to get my factory shafts to last a hell of a long time. Of the breaks I have had and have seen, they have all been at the u-joint - NOT the splines. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so you can take that for what it's worth.

aermotor

There is a difference, you will need to contact them to clarify.

I have a PR44 with my Rubicon internals moved over, so if I ever go ARB, I will need the Rubicon specific locker as there are differences in the housings as far as I understand it.

J

JKDream

I have a PR44 with my Rubicon internals moved over, so if I ever go ARB, I will need the Rubicon specific locker as there are differences in the housings as far as I understand it.
The casting is machined differently to accept the TruLock. The casing on the standard 35 spline is too big because of the thick JK gears. Therefore you use one meant for a higher gear ratio which means the casing is smaller for a Rubicon 44. The non-rubicon 44 is machined to a standard Dana 44 size. That accepts thick gears and the larger differential casing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
For a Rubicon 44 or pro rock 44? (Not sure if there is a difference)

The casting is machined differently to accept the TruLock. The casing on the standard 35 spline is too big because of the thick JK gears. Therefore you use one meant for a higher gear ratio which means the casing is smaller for a Rubicon 44. The non-rubicon 44 is machined to a standard Dana 44 size. That accepts thick gears and the larger differential casing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

2 different housings:

https://www.dynatrac.com/downloads/ProRock FAQ_revK.pdf

adf.jpg

aermotor

Excellent description, thank you!

desertrunner

Maybe I will just call dynatrac again before I order and ask them what locker they use for the front if I go with the 35 spline and call nitro to confirm they fit the standard pr44 casting. I'm not sure I need that much shaft in the front but if I am spending the money already it might be worth looking into (leaning toward just going dynatrac shafts in the front)

I can also confirm with them what series ARB they use in their rear 35 spline kit as well and that should clear up what locker I need for the rear.

Exodus 4x4

There are other options besides ARB that will also allow you to go to 35 spline. The Rubicon housings are built specific to its bearings. The other problem you will have is the bushings that are installed to accommodate the 30 spline shaft seal. They can be removed and D60 seals installed but it's a real pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

Maybe I will just call dynatrac again before I order and ask them what locker they use for the front if I go with the 35 spline and call nitro to confirm they fit the standard pr44 casting. I'm not sure I need that much shaft in the front but if I am spending the money already it might be worth looking into (leaning toward just going dynatrac shafts in the front)

I can also confirm with them what series ARB they use in their rear 35 spline kit as well and that should clear up what locker I need for the rear.

The Nitro shafts will fit ANY PR44 housing as long as its built with D60 35 spline shaft seals.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom