Crash Bar Delete

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The OP clearly has an aftermarket bumper in his picture, and then you say this ^

What exactly is your arguement here?

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If I was the adjuster is say this "while the bumper is indeed heavy duty, it is bolted to the frame rails that had their strength compromised due to the removal of the cross bar." As dumb a it sounds insurance companies will say anything to get out of paying a large claim.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
In all fairness the crash bar offers not structural support so it wouldn't matter if a stronger bumper had been installed or not.

(Not being a dick, just saying)

You may be right. I'm not an expert on JKs. You guys called it the crash bar and I ran with it. If it is indeed a crash bar that has anything to do with lateral strength, then it MAY be fair game. If I'm wrong in this instance then so be it, I simply wanted the OP to know the potential consequences of certain modifications. It wasn't my intention to discourage anyone from modifying or doing anything. Hell, my s2000 has turbo oil lines which can burst, causing a fire and I'll have the insurance deny my claim because an aftermarket part caused the fire. It's just that some people aren't informed on the issue so I brought it to light, nothing more.

pvanweelden

I missed Overlander's cmt about taking out the crash bar and replacing it with something stronger, that you were commenting on. I thought you were saying that since the bumper was replaced, it was ok.
As the OP already has his bumper replaced with a steel bumper, which anyone of us knows, will improve the strength, more than enough to offset taking out the crash bar.

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mtnbiker995

When I totaled my jeep I just replaced it with a 2"x4" piece of box tubing with 1/4" wall. Much stronger and I've made a which mount for it now too.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380249287.346502.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK's JK

Banned
I have to put my two cents into this.

Now hearing you guys talk about lawyers, bars being cut off and all the good things in life that make you wet. Now if you wanted to have someone say, or even deny a claim they can simply say placing bigger tires, taller lift, changing the breaks out, placing heavier bumpers onto the vehicle and all the other crap you buy. This all contributed to not allowing you to stop at a manufactors specifications which in turn made you perform a inadequate stopping ablility. This whole business of buying aftermarket parts and modifications to vehicles would say..........F@CK YOU. To many claims on us (like i can give you a good amount of examples(which is really sad since USA can't be number one anymore due to lawyers(bad lawyers))) and manufactors. Maybe I'm looking at this way off key here but any mod would be a consideration to denial. :flag_bs:

Army_Vet

Banned
I have to put my two cents into this.

Now hearing you guys talk about lawyers, bars being cut off and all the good things in life that make you wet. Now if you wanted to have someone say, or even deny a claim they can simply say placing bigger tires, taller lift, changing the breaks out, placing heavier bumpers onto the vehicle and all the other crap you buy. This all contributed to not allowing you to stop at a manufactors specifications which in turn made you perform a inadequate stopping ablility. This whole business of buying aftermarket parts and modifications to vehicles would say..........F@CK YOU. To many claims on us (like i can give you a good amount of examples(which is really sad since USA can't be number one anymore due to lawyers(bad lawyers))) and manufactors. Maybe I'm looking at this way off key here but any mod would be a consideration to denial. :flag_bs:

Great point's but it needs to be reasonable and relative. Such as a light bar would not be a factor in a rear end collision. but the larger tires affecting stopping distance would... (these are extreme examples to make a point)

Its funny, the guy is right, but because people don't want to hear what he has to say people jump all over his ass about it...
If your insurance wants to deny a claim they can; and will. its all about money to them. If they think they can win a lawsuit at a cheaper cost then paying out for your claim; then thats the choice they will make...

JK's JK

Banned
Great point's but it needs to be reasonable and relative. Such as a light bar would not be a factor in a rear end collision. but the larger tires affecting stopping distance would... (these are extreme examples to make a point)

Its funny, the guy is right, but because people don't want to hear what he has to say people jump all over his ass about it...
If your insurance wants to deny a claim they can; and will. its all about money to them. If they think they can win a lawsuit at a cheaper cost then paying out for your claim; then thats the choice they will make...

Oh I do think he has a point. Which gets me thinking that I need to find out if that part is classified as structural or not. If not, I'm hacking that BITCH right the F@CK off, without thinking twice about it. If it is then..............murphy's law will F@CK YOU HARD. Once again my two cents playing a roll in this. It will be fun if someone can figure this one out before I do.

Army_Vet

Banned
Oh I do think he has a point. Which gets me thinking that I need to find out if that part is classified as structural or not. If not, I'm hacking that BITCH right the F@CK off, without thinking twice about it. If it is then..............murphy's law will F@CK YOU HARD. Once again my two cents playing a roll in this. It will be fun if someone can figure this one out before I do.

I honestly think it would have more to do with the insurance adjuster.... It all depends on what they know about the vehicle. If you could make it look as if it never was there with clean cuts and touch up paint. Plus a sweet bumper with skid plate. I don't think it would be a problem at all

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If I was the adjuster is say this "while the bumper is indeed heavy duty, it is bolted to the frame rails that had their strength compromised due to the removal of the cross bar." As dumb a it sounds insurance companies will say anything to get out of paying a large claim.

Sounds like a fun case to me. Insurance bad faith claims are great; prevailing insureds get increased damages and attorney fees.

Although MTG was just trying to insert some levity into the situation, he was pretty much spot on.

This whole discussion is about as fruitful as talking about whether your lift will void your warranty. Can your insurance company attempt to deny coverage because you forgot to wipe your ass? Of course. Can they get away with it? Only if you let them.

I'd take my insurance company to the mat any day of the week if they denied coverage because of a non-structural "crash" bar. That's right up there with denying coverage because aftermarket bumpers don't have "crash" cans like the OEM bumper.

Last edited:

ttfhell

Sounds like a fun case to me. Insurance bad faith claims are great; prevailing insureds get increased damages and attorney fees.

Although MTG was just trying to insert some levity into the situation, he was pretty much spot on.

This whole discussion is about as fruitful as talking about whether your lift will void your warranty. Can your insurance company attempt to deny coverage because you forgot to wipe your ass? Of course. Can they get away with it? Only if you let them.

I'd take my insurance company to the mat any day of the week if they denied coverage because of a non-structural "crash" bar. That's right up there with denying coverage because aftermarket bumpers don't have "crash" cans like the OEM bumper.

You act like you know what you're talking about lol.

JK's JK

Banned
That flimsy piece of metal hanging down and held on by a thin little weld is off mine, and was off during the 2012 JKX. :eek: I replaced it with a big ass steel bumber though.

Things one may learn from this thread...

1) insurance companies will try to deny your claim any way they can
2) you need to know your rights and be willing to fight back
3) you don't need to be an attorney to do #2
4) any attorney that lives in NYC and only charges $300/hr is probably a shitty attorney and will not be of any use anyway. :cheesy:

ROFL....:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Brankz

I know this is dumb question and people gonna hate but why you cut that bar?& In what benefits you?

I know my English sucks lol

JK's JK

Banned
I know this is dumb question and people gonna hate but why you cut that bar?& In what benefits you?

The reason why its lopped off for clearance and its useless. If you run almost any aftermarket bumper its a piece of metal hanging down looking way out of place. You can swing your electric swaybar up and out of the way. Can go with bumpers like the LOD stinger/ stubby that makes a skid which will fit just for that. I like clearance myself......

Brankz

The reason why its lopped off for clearance and its useless. If you run almost any aftermarket bumper its a piece of metal hanging down looking way out of place. You can swing your electric swaybar up and out of the way. Can go with bumpers like the LOD stinger/ stubby that makes a skid which will fit just for that. I like clearance myself......

Oh cool, so when I get my stinger it will be a good idea that I cut it off uh

JK's JK

Banned
Oh cool, so when I get my stinger it will be a good idea that I cut it off uh

That's what the whole thread is about. Not lopping it off!!! :icon_crazy: But personally I'm sure I'll cut it off. Havent decided which bumper I plan on going with????

Top Bottom