Currie rear 60 vs Dynatrac Rear 60

thardy

Banned
If you only plan on running 37s, why not just do a PR44 front, lock the rear and better axels and call it a day. You really don't have too much of a reason to have a 60 out here.

noroad

That link he posted with the "PR60 Semi Float" is a Trail60 with the PR60 housing upgrade. Po-ta-toe/ po-ta-to, they are same thing.

that's funny i haven't looked at them in a bit but i thought they used to call it a trail 60 guess the pr60 semi float sounds better lol.

OscarMike2.0

it kind sounds like you have your mind made up already! good luck!

In no way have I made up my mind yet. Thats why I made this thread.

He was running 37" Falkens when he broke in Colorado but yeah, he's got a v8.

So just to clarify not trying to be a smartass but did he have the V8 when he broke or no?

I have the Dynatrac Trail 60 with upgraded PR60 housing... aka the ProRock60 semi float.

1) Why are you going extended width to 68.5"? Unless you are going to a 1 ton in front also (in which case you should go FF rear) don't understand.
2) Where did you find a Currie RJ60 @ that 68.5" for so cheap? Is it the G2 version?

I have never had an issue with my PR60. My best friend has had issues with his RJ60 (mainly cover leaking from what I believe is the axle flexing). I think both are good products, I just always heard great things about Dynatrac from everyone I know who runs them and heard too many bad storied from folks and their Curries. That made the call for me. Back when I had looked they weren't that far apart. I know the only positive on the Currie is the rear trackbar bracket is adjustable height. The Dynatrac you need to change it if you want a raised trackbar height at axle end.

I got my quote from a friend who's a distributor for currie and he gave me the price they buy them for.

Once again I cannot afford full float and I want the extended width because I want the added stance. I will probably not go with the extra with If i do a front 44 instead of 60.

that's funny i haven't looked at them in a bit but i thought they used to call it a trail 60 guess the pr60 semi float sounds better lol.

They have a Trail 60 that has a standard(ish) D60 housing. Then, they have a PR60 that is still a semi-float but has the clearanced (proprietary) D60 housing. Then The also have a PR60 full float.

So, three types of 60s (not including options)

^^^Pretty sure on all of that.

thardy

Banned
In no way have I made up my mind yet. Thats why I made this thread.

He was running 37" Falkens when he broke in Colorado but yeah, he's got a v8.

So just to clarify not trying to be a smartass but did he have the V8 when he broke or no?

I got my quote from a friend who's a distributor for currie and he gave me the price they buy them for.

Once again I cannot afford full float and I want the extended width because I want the added stance. I will probably not go with the extra with If i do a front 44 instead of 60.

There's your answer. You're getting a distributor price vs retail. Have you tried calling NR4x4 to see what they could do the PR for?

OscarMike2.0

Other than "quality" of the product and the high clearance housing is there any other benefit to the 60s that would make me lean more that way?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The price for a pr44 front and pr60 rear is around 11,000 where as that same setup for currie is around 8,600 roughly. At that price I could almost get front and rear currie 60s. :hmm:

I was meaning keeping and building your rear 44 and get a front aftermarket 44 like a pr44. That is done a lot on 37s when the rig is wheeled or daily driven.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

That explains it. You need to find a friend who is a distributor for Dynatrac too so you can get a fair comparison :)

Like others have said though, if you go with a PR44 or a Currie RJ44 front you may be better off just upgrading the shafts in your rear 44 and locking it. I went to the PR60 Semifloat rear just because my buddy who bought my front axle wanted my rear too and rather than regear it to match my new front it was only ~1,500 more to upgrade to a 60. My logic sucks but I sold myself on it that day ;-)

If you compare the two, your rear 44 has a smaller R&P yes. But it is low pinion. The HP rear 60 is stronger but not a ton stronger. Folks can still manage to break them. I would say for sure the bracketry is stronger, shafts are bigger, etc etc on the Dynatrac rear 60 but it is still semifloat and the weak link is bending a shaft. Some days I still wonder why I didnt just go FF when I did it or keep my stock 44. Next time I would do one of the two. Or go in the middle and get a Solid Axle rear HP FF with ARB for $5k. There are tons of options. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

OscarMike2.0

I was meaning keeping and building your rear 44 and get a front aftermarket 44 like a pr44. That is done a lot on 37s when the rig is wheeled or daily driven.

This is exactly what I would be doing.

I just cant justify spending money on the stock axle. I think it would be fine for a 2 door but for a heavy 4 door I think the bigger housing and bigger R&P make more sense.

you have just heard many people tell you stories of currie breaks, no one called them teraflex just there axle game isnt on the same level as the PR.

he said he did.

LOL:cheesy: yea your right I havent heard any currie break stories. I definitely agree there game is not the same as Dynatrac but didnt know if an extra 2000 was worth it if your on a budget like me.

JokerJKU

I'm convinced Currie has a special axle they sell to guys that know the secret handshake. Plenty of ultra4 guys run their axles, no clue how they are capable of surviving on one of those rigs but not on Randy's. Randy's hard on his stuff but not that hard. Only thing that makes sense to me is that Currie provides a better axle to certain customers.

Something Randy once told me stuck with me and it's a reason I'll never purchase a Currie axle (unless I can figure out that secret handshake). After several breaks, all of which were deemed manufacturing defects and warrantied by Currie, Currie let Randy know they'd no longer be warrantying any axle problems of his, didn't matter what the cause was. If memory serves, it was very shortly after that when Randy ordered his Dynatracs. About 2 weeks or so before the PR60/80 combo was to arrive, we were all at a get-together locally and the organizer had brought out an RTI ramp. Randy wouldn't run his rig up the ramp, was too worried he break his rear axle. ON A FREAKING RTI RAMP?!?! If you'd still even consider a Currie after that, I truly hope you have better luck than he did.

That said, why not beef up your D44 rear with an ARB/35 spline axles (and a Truss if you know a shop that can properly weld one on) and add a fully built PR44 in front as many others have suggested. You'll be well ahead of the RJ44 up front and a properly beefed up D44 rear is going to be very nearly as strong as a semi-float RJ60.

My concern for the D44 in the rear of a JK(especially JKU) is the load capacity. I've bent three flanges after nosing up on large hills/rocks. Granted once I hoped (just a bit) but it tells me a loaded JK(U) is close to a D44s weight capacity. Even a semi-float D60 has a much larger weight capacity. This said, (knock on wood) the 35 spline shafts I now have seem to be holding up.

noroad

That explains it. You need to find a friend who is a distributor for Dynatrac too so you can get a fair comparison :)

Like others have said though, if you go with a PR44 or a Currie RJ44 front you may be better off just upgrading the shafts in your rear 44 and locking it. I went to the PR60 Semifloat rear just because my buddy who bought my front axle wanted my rear too and rather than regear it to match my new front it was only ~1,500 more to upgrade to a 60. My logic sucks but I sold myself on it that day ;-)

If you compare the two, your rear 44 has a smaller R&P yes. But it is low pinion. The HP rear 60 is stronger but not a ton stronger. Folks can still manage to break them. I would say for sure the bracketry is stronger, shafts are bigger, etc etc on the Dynatrac rear 60 but it is still semifloat and the weak link is bending a shaft. Some days I still wonder why I didnt just go FF when I did it or keep my stock 44. Next time I would do one of the two. Or go in the middle and get a Solid Axle rear HP FF with ARB for $5k. There are tons of options. Just my 2c.

Call me if you ever want to go full float i might have a home for your 60 :rock:

LOL:cheesy: yea your right I havent heard any currie break stories. I definitely agree there game is not the same as Dynatrac but didnt know if an extra 2000 was worth it if your on a budget like me.

its 2k man, spend the extra 2/4/6 months saving.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
They have a Trail 60 that has a standard(ish) D60 housing. Then, they have a PR60 that is still a semi-float but has the clearanced (proprietary) D60 housing. Then The also have a PR60 full float.

So, three types of 60s (not including options)

^^^Pretty sure on all of that.

There is a Trail 60 which yes is a standardish HP 60 housing. Change the housing to a PR60 housing (~$400 upgrade to Trail 60) and that is your PR60 Semi float. Then you have the PR60 FF which is a whole other animal. Its really only 2 different axle classes.

But Dynatrac will also make you whatever the heck you want. Hell if you want a FF Trail 60 thats 68.5" wide they will make it.

Top Bottom