Dana 30 and 37's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea im just supprised its held up this far. Cant wait for the PR44.

I'm not surprised. You are running 4.88 gears with an open diff - this is exactly what I would recommend to someone who has a Dana 30. So long as your c-clips hold, the odds of you breaking a shaft is pretty low.

JKJody

I'm not surprised. You are running 4.88 gears with an open diff - this is exactly what I would recommend to someone who has a Dana 30. So long as your c-clips hold, the odds of you breaking a shaft is pretty low.

So with the added weight of atx slabs, will this change anything? Im looking to upgrade here in a few weeks.

Mastermind

In all fairness, everyone has their own idea of what "wheeling" is or how "hard", hard really is. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I think qualifying your response with photos and or names of trails would help others to understand how it's possible for your axle to last when there's no way someone like me could get one to.

That is also true. I don't have many photos to share unfortunately, but I've been going through a local guide to offroad trails and I have done most of the intermediate and only a couple of the difficult rated trails. On our way out to Cali this summer we stopped in Moab and did a couple intermediate trails as well. I KNOW my "hard" is nothing compared a lot of the "hard" trails y'all have run but it's all relative I'm sure

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418313341.863173.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So with the added weight of atx slabs, will this change anything? Im looking to upgrade here in a few weeks.

With an open diff? Not really. Being that you're still running stock shafts, they will be the first to go as turning big heavy wheels and tires will put a lot of strain on your u-joints/yokes. This will cause them to work your c-clips off and once that happens, your bearing caps will come off and you will most likely suffer a break at the yokes.

That is also true. I don't have many photos to share unfortunately, but I've been going through a local guide to offroad trails and I have done most of the intermediate and only a couple of the difficult rated trails. On our way out to Cali this summer we stopped in Moab and did a couple intermediate trails as well. I KNOW my "hard" is nothing compared a lot of the "hard" trails y'all have run but it's all relative I'm sure

View attachment 114294

And that's my point. :yup:

matt1171

Wheeling style makes a huge difference. I'm in Arkansas and we don't have the crazy trails like they do out west but we do have lots of beautiful trails here with a lot of mud and rocky hill climbs. We do have some great off-road parks for the rock crawling lovers.

I have a D30 up front with C-Gussets, 4.88s, and a lunchbox locker running 35 inch Toyo MTs. I've been running this setup for almost two years now and it's been great. However... I do know the limitations and am very gentle when playing at the parks which only happens every few months. For the most part I like to go exploring in the Ozarks and have found some amazing trails there that have made me glad I have the locker for the extra traction in the mud and hills.

I don't have the money to upgrade to a 44 right now and I fully expect that one day my D30 will go boom. I run the stock shafts to keep that as the hopeful weak point when and if it does happen. I also know how to do any necessary trail repairs myself to get me home. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this setup to someone else but it works for me and the wheeling I do and I know the risks I'm taking with it. And I would never run 37s with my current setup.

But the truth is, depending on your wheeling style, you could break a PR60 if you wheeled hard enough.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
But the truth is, depending on your wheeling style, you could break a PR60 if you wheeled hard enough.

I guess you've been following us for a while now :crazyeyes: :blush:

Also, it's not "wheeling style" that breaking things like a PR60 so much as time and a lot of hard use.

Top Bottom