Dana 30 vs Dana 44

jonc9955

Where to find jeep specs

I might have skipped over the answer. But what's the best way to tell if you have a Dana 44 front end instead of a Dana 30? I have a 2009 JK Unlimited X but as I was switching out the bushings for my suspension I noticed my drive shaft was aftermarket which made me think that my front axle might be upgraded as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I know to get your original equipment listing - this might help some people:

Goto http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html

Click Equipment Listing under "Your Vehicle"
Type in VIN

You will get all the specs of your ride...

Cheers:beer:

Jeep-N-Jeffy

They're pretty much all the same and you can't go wrong with any of them so long as they do come with full circle clips.

I want to upgrade shafts on my Dana 30 and I am looking at the Alloy USA axle shaft kit......what other brands should this one be compared to? You don't always get what you pay for, but there are others that are half the price which to me seems a bit sketchy. And since sleeves are not too expensive, is there no reason at all to install them?

For the Dana 30 beef up I am thinking Alloy USA axle shaft kit, sleeves, gussets and Dynatrac ball joints. I am not ready for regearing and lockers anytime in the next few years.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I want to upgrade shafts on my Dana 30 and I am looking at the Alloy USA axle shaft kit......what other brands should this one be compared to? You don't always get what you pay for, but there are others that are half the price which to me seems a bit sketchy. And since sleeves are not too expensive, is there no reason at all to install them?

For the Dana 30 beef up I am thinking Alloy USA axle shaft kit, sleeves, gussets and Dynatrac ball joints. I am not ready for regearing and lockers anytime in the next few years.

See post #7

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Beefing up a D30 is sketchy no matter what you put in it. Add gussets since they are cheap (if you can do it yourself) and skip the rest. Save your money for a true upgrade, like a different axel.

Braxtonsag

If you’re not ready to regear I’d throw some gussets on it and call it a day. You throw them chromoly shafts in there you’re going to be replacing the ring and pinion anyways

Close but not exactly. Both Dana 30 and Dana 44 JK front axles share the same tubes, end forgings, knuckles and brakes. The Dana 44 is only a 44 because of it's larger differential and beefier shafts which have bigger joints and a greater spline count - it's more of a hybrid 44 than a true 44.

Have to ask one question.

On some 2012 year models and for what I know all 2013 and up models the dana 30 come with bigger u-joints. My 2012 for example I had some problem first to find the correct u-joint. I first bought a moog u-joint made for the dana 30 2012 modell but they where to small. Had to go to the stealer ship and to my surprise there where 2 different u-joints for my 2012 sahara. The bigger ones where correct. Since there is a size difference on the u-joints I guess also the shaft was improved? At least the size of the "ears" on the shaft.

So, does the "newer" ( some 2012 and up year model ) dana 30 and dana 44 have the same U-joints and shafts?

Thanks

Top Bottom