Dana 44 leaking

deezus

Are you tired of those damn leaks? Are you tired of your wife bitchin? Are you tired of the kids crying? Are you tired of being told you have a small penis? Your answer is here, folks. Look no further.

View attachment 265343
I got some last night, I just noticed my penis IS bigger. Still got the axle leak though. [emoji2]
But seriously though, can I still drive and wheel it? It rides smooth on the freeway.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Truthfully, I didn't realize either that the leak was from one of the welds for the sleeves when I first read this. That means for sure that fluid is bypassing the axle seals, so the housing could be bent or it could be a bad seal. I would continue wheeling it but carry extra gear oil and keep an eye on the fluid.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would replace the axle seals, they are very cheap but it will take a little bit of time to do. Pulling the carrier is a little scary at first, but its really not that bad of a job.

fiend

Caught the Bug
This is what i want to do. Are you running the unlimited? How difficult is it to swap out gears? I was told i would need someone who does gears{i had mine done} to do it? And ive decided to stay at 37s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dynatrac makes a version of the PR44 that accepts the Rubicon internals. So you can swap over your locker, shafts, gears, etc and also your knuckles, brakes, unit bearings etc. you will need a new cover but the axle comes with that. You will need to set up your backlash again even though you're resuming your old gear set. If you have 50k miles or more, you might as well go with new bearings and seals.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

I would do what WJCO and hinrichs said. Replace the seals' carry extra gear oil and keep wheelin it. I had the top plug weld on my front axle leak just kept and eye on it and pressure washed it every now and then. The leak stoped. Has not come back even after the regear I just did the front is still going strong. Oh and I'm on the d30. Honestly I wouldn't worry to much. Again replace the seals keep an eye on it and have fun with it. You'll be alright. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

Truthfully, I didn't realize either that the leak was from one of the welds for the sleeves when I first read this. That means for sure that fluid is bypassing the axle seals, so the housing could be bent or it could be a bad seal. I would continue wheeling it but carry extra gear oil and keep an eye on the fluid.
Thats what i was advised, tbe amount that came out was minimal, maybe an 1 to 2 ounces. Then just a couple drops.

deezus

I would do what WJCO and hinrichs said. Replace the seals' carry extra gear oil and keep wheelin it. I had the top plug weld on my front axle leak just kept and eye on it and pressure washed it every now and then. The leak stoped. Has not come back even after the regear I just did the front is still going strong. Oh and I'm on the d30. Honestly I wouldn't worry to much. Again replace the seals keep an eye on it and have fun with it. You'll be alright. Just my 2 cents.

Yea thats the plan. Im gonna search for a video on how to do it, thanks.

deezus

Talk to the guy who did my sleeves, he said when they put the welds in, a natural air hole happens. He says the seals are bad and to watch it and monitor the fluid in the pumpkin. I used the flex seal luke WJCO advised, no more leaks.

10abadilla/jk

Talk to the guy who did my sleeves, he said when they put the welds in, a natural air hole happens. He says the seals are bad and to watch it and monitor the fluid in the pumpkin. I used the flex seal luke WJCO advised, no more leaks.

I'm glad you were able to figure out what was causing the leak. Like he said. Keep an eye on the levels and you should be ok for a bit just be sure to replace the seals as soon as you can. I would keep eye at the end forgings to see if any fluid starts coming out that way. If it does replace the seals sooner then later.

deezus

I'm glad you were able to figure out what was causing the leak. Like he said. Keep an eye on the levels and you should be ok for a bit just be sure to replace the seals as soon as you can. I would keep eye at the end forgings to see if any fluid starts coming out that way. If it does replace the seals sooner then later.

Well its leaking too much so im gonna do the seals. I have watched several videos on it is there anything i should know? Like does the carrier have to go back the exact same way?

srbell0585

Well you have to keep track of the shims on both sides of the carrier and make sure they go back in the same place. Other then that the carrier can't really go in wrong...if you flip it around it won't fit into the housing and the ring gear won't mesh with the pinion properly.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

deezus

Well you have to keep track of the shims on both sides of the carrier and make sure they go back in the same place. Other then that the carrier can't really go in wrong...if you flip it around it won't fit into the housing and the ring gear won't mesh with the pinion properly.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks that's the info i needed! Gonna just do it today. Gotta get her done!

Top Bottom