Dana 60 upgrade

OhNoTheJiggies

Dynatrac won't come down on their price in my opinion. When you're at the top of the food chain, you don't settle (unless you're a vegan?). I want to run 40s in a few years... I could probably run them on a 30 here in tampa, but I don't want to stay here. I want to go somewhere with lots of wheeling and exploring... hahaha just though of dynatrac slogan after I wrote that!

OhNoTheJiggies

So here's a question, what would a front ProRock 60 need to sell at in order for it to be a no brainer for you?

I don't really have experience in the sales department to be able to have an idea... but I just think that most people try to get the most for their money so automatically look at the lower priced items first. I know I do. But after researching it, and not wanting to compromise, heavily, then the choice is usually pretty clear for most things, not just axles. Winches are another good topic for discussion for alot of people... smittybuilt, engo, warn, harbor freight, and so on. Theres an obvious winner in that line up too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Oh, I'm with you on this. I was just wondering being that the new ProRock 60XD should be available soon. I figured with it out and it being the top shelf axle that Dynatrac offers, the existing ProRock 60 might come down in price. If that were true, I was just wondering what it would need to sell at in order for guys considering the Mopar UD60 or the like to not even give it a second thought.

bkac

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Oh, I'm with you on this. I was just wondering being that the new ProRock 60XD should be available soon. I figured with it out and it being the top shelf axle that Dynatrac offers, the existing ProRock 60 might come down in price. If that were true, I was just wondering what it would need to sell at in order for guys considering the Mopar UD60 or the like to not even give it a second thought.

That's a good question. I went with the UD60'S just for the fact that I could almost buy 2 sets for the same price. Time will tell if I made a huge mistake. I was able to grab both axles for under 10k. I know I sacrificed quality in places but honestly really wanted to see if they are that bad. My front axle was just over 6k. Something in the 6-7k would have made it a no Brainer to go with dynatrac. It's really the rear pr that puts it much over the price for a pair of dynatracs vs spicers. I understand you do get what you pay for too. There's already several things I'm thinking twice about now with the UD60's.... only time and wheeling will tell, and I'm not planning on any 80ft jumps in the future :)

highoctane

Caught the Bug

I'd say it'd be nice to come with the same standard options that the Mopar UD60s come with for the current base price. When I priced a PR60 as close to the mopar 60 as possible, the options added up quick. The 4340 axle shafts, 35 spline outer shafts, 35 spline Warn hubs, and big brakes that come standard on the ud60 made the PR60 a $9k axle. It only comes standard with Warn 30 spline hubs and outer shafts, and 35 spline inner heavy duty shafts that Dynatrac said are not as strong as a 4340 chromoly shaft.

With that said, the Dynatrac is the superior axle. Looking at my ud60 axles in the crates, it looks like more pride in product went into the crates than the axles themselves. Sloppy paint job may be something stupid to bitch about, but it shows that these are assembly line built like the rest of their axles. I've seen the "building of a PR80" video you filmed and it shows really how much time and pride Dynatrac puts in their stuff.

I bought my Mopar 60s for a pretty good deal of about a grand cheaper than they are currently selling for at some places, but I haven't uncrated them yet because I still would like to go with the PR60/80, and sell my Mopar axles to a friend who has asked if I'd sell them to him for his build.

This is what happens when you buy shit on a whim because it's cheaper than usual. Luckily I probably won't lose money selling my Mopar axles.

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I understand the piece of mind aspect. But to put things in perspective - member Noroad (and others but I don't know their setups) just finished a trek from MA to CA - wheeled the Rubicon and is driving back all on a Dana30, with 4.88 gears and no front locker with 37s.

Save your money and just get a front PR44. And if you break your rear get either a trail60 or a PR60 for about the same as a set of the CRD60s. Without the "made in China" stamp.

EZE just got back from the JKX running factory Rubicon D44 housings, 4.88s, lockers, and 37s (drove from central MO to the start out west). Where you're at, 60s would be over kill :yup:

As far as warranty goes...I work in tire and deal with this issue every day. A customer comes in and are given two options, Product A= $100.00-no warranty, Product B= $150.00-5 year warranty. Customer chooses the least expensive option then comes back 6 months later and complains that Product A already needs to be replaced then tell me they have buyers remorse because Product B probably would have lasted longer plus have the insurance of the five year warranty with only costing $50 more.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
EZE just got back from the JKX running factory Rubicon D44 housings, 4.88s, lockers, and 37s (drove from central MO to the start out west). Where you're at, 60s would be over kill :yup:

As far as warranty goes...I work in tire and deal with this issue every day. A customer comes in and are given two options, Product A= $100.00-no warranty, Product B= $150.00-5 year warranty. Customer chooses the least expensive option then comes back 6 months later and complains that Product A already needs to be replaced then tell me they have buyers remorse because Product B probably would have lasted longer plus have the insurance of the five year warranty with only costing $50 more.

That is what I was saying.... :thinking:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I understand the piece of mind aspect. But to put things in perspective - member Noroad (and others but I don't know their setups) just finished a trek from MA to CA - wheeled the Rubicon and is driving back all on a Dana30, with 4.88 gears and no front locker with 37s.

Save your money and just get a front PR44. And if you break your rear get either a trail60 or a PR60 for about the same as a set of the CRD60s. Without the "made in China" stamp.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good question. I went with the UD60'S just for the fact that I could almost buy 2 sets for the same price. Time will tell if I made a huge mistake. I was able to grab both axles for under 10k. I know I sacrificed quality in places but honestly really wanted to see if they are that bad. My front axle was just over 6k. Something in the 6-7k would have made it a no Brainer to go with dynatrac. It's really the rear pr that puts it much over the price for a pair of dynatracs vs spicers. I understand you do get what you pay for too. There's already several things I'm thinking twice about now with the UD60's.... only time and wheeling will tell, and I'm not planning on any 80ft jumps in the future :)

Yeah, Dana mass produces rear axles and I know they're just tapping into assembly lines to make their UD60, I would imagine it'd be real tough for Dynatrac to compete with their rear axle prices.

I'd say it'd be nice to come with the same standard options that the Mopar UD60s come with for the current base price. When I priced a PR60 as close to the mopar 60 as possible, the options added up quick. The 4340 axle shafts, 35 spline outer shafts, 35 spline Warn hubs, and big brakes that come standard on the ud60 made the PR60 a $9k axle. It only comes standard with Warn 30 spline hubs and outer shafts, and 35 spline inner heavy duty shafts that Dynatrac said are not as strong as a 4340 chromoly shaft.

Okay, so, when built up to the same standards options that the Mopar UD60 comes, would the ProRock 60 need to be the same price to make it a no brainer for you or would it just have to be a lot closer in price? If the later, at what point would it be no longer worth it to you?

With that said, the Dynatrac is the superior axle. Looking at my ud60 axles in the crates, it looks like more pride in product went into the crates than the axles themselves. Sloppy paint job may be something stupid to bitch about, but it shows that these are assembly line built like the rest of their axles. I've seen the "building of a PR80" video you filmed and it shows really how much time and pride Dynatrac puts in their stuff.

I bought my Mopar 60s for a pretty good deal of about a grand cheaper than they are currently selling for at some places, but I haven't uncrated them yet because I still would like to go with the PR60/80, and sell my Mopar axles to a friend who has asked if I'd sell them to him for his build.

If anything, I might hold out for the ProRock XD60 and ProRock 80. Or, even an XD60 rear axle being that it comes with a bigger and beefier ring gear. Over the years, we have still seen our fair share of ring gear failures on a 60 rear axle even with a 3.8L motor. Trail Bud and KenB1010 are just a couple of examples and the later had a 2-door.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Okay, so, when built up to the same standards options that the Mopar UD60 comes, would the ProRock 60 need to be the same price to make it a no brainer for you or would it just have to be a lot closer in price? If the later, at what point would it be no longer worth it to you?

If anything, I might hold out for the ProRock XD60 and ProRock 80. Or, even an XD60 rear axle being that it comes with a bigger and beefier ring gear. Over the years, we have still seen our fair share of ring gear failures on a 60 rear axle even with a 3.8L motor. Trail Bud and KenB1010 are just a couple of examples and the later had a 2-door.

I'd say a price of around $8k would be nice for a front PR60. Not as cheap as the UD60 front, but just a bit lower in price that it currently is. That should include 35 spline 4340 1.5" chromoly inner shafts, 35 spline 4340 outers with Warn Premium hubs, and the 14.xx" big brake kit. Leave the other options such as stub hub kit, Dynaloc hubs, high steer arms, etc as upgrade options. But IMO the stuff I listed should be standard equipment. 30 spline Warn hubs have no place on a heavy vehicle with 40" tires. And if running 37s it's debatable if the PR60 up front is even necessary with axles like the PR44 around. But that price is really just hopes and dreams. Being at the top of the food chain in their business with no real apples to apples competitor, they have no need to drop the price, and I'll just have to suck it up and just order a set.

Did they break the front PR60 or the rear? And did they break the gear set or a shaft? I'm eyeing the rear PR80 just for the added insurance. I'll really have to wait and see pricing on the XD60 axles and compare all three.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Just curious: would the ProRock have stood up to this?

The only way to find out is to have someone with a Pro Rock 60 launch their JK 90 feet off a dune. I remember when the broken UD60 axle pic was posted on Instagram. 90 feet is how far it was launched. Thats hauling ass.

Back a few years ago, a olive drab green wrapped JKU that Offroad Evolution built for ATX broke it's front axle housing after being jumped, and it was a Pro Rock housing. Had Double Throwdown suspension and 40" Mud Grapplers. Not sure if it was a 44 or 60. I remember Mel posting pics on Facebook. Believe it was Moab or JKX 2010 or 2011.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The only way to find out is to have someone with a Pro Rock 60 launch their JK 90 feet off a dune. I remember when the broken UD60 axle pic was posted on Instagram. 90 feet is how far it was launched. Thats hauling ass.

Back a few years ago, a olive drab green wrapped JKU that Offroad Evolution built for ATX broke it's front axle housing after being jumped, and it was a Pro Rock housing. Had Double Throwdown suspension and 40" Mud Grapplers. Not sure if it was a 44 or 60. I remember Mel posting pics on Facebook. Believe it was Moab or JKX 2010 or 2011.

It was a PR44.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Yup, here's a video of the ATX launching their JK in Moab much in the same manner...

The only thing that broke was a spindle and front axle shaft. The ProRock housing was fine and they had it fixed up and back on the road again in about week after getting back from Moab.

Top Bottom