Dana 60 upgrade

highoctane

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Yup, here's a video of the ATX launching their JK in Moab much in the same manner... YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKOG0zR5Z8w The only thing that broke was a spindle and front axle shaft. The ProRock housing was fine and they had it fixed up and back on the road again in about week after getting back from Moab.

That's crazy that the housing actually held up. What'd I'd like to know is how much of a smile the stock rear d44 housing had. No way in hell it stayed straight.

LOL!! Yup, here's a video of the ATX launching their JK in Moab much in the same manner...

The only thing that broke was a spindle and front axle shaft. The ProRock housing was fine and they had it fixed up and back on the road again in about week after getting back from Moab.

Love the music!

Mizippi

I was thinking about having a well built PR60 (8lug) matched up to UD60 rear. The front takes all the abuse, and UD60 is full float. ~$13k. Warranty aside....this seems like the best of all worlds.

ttfhell

I was thinking about having a well built PR60 (8lug) matched up to UD60 rear. The front takes all the abuse, and UD60 is full float. ~$13k. Warranty aside....this seems like the best of all worlds.

The front takes all the abuse? Hmmm. Most of the weight is on the rear on hill climbs etc...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

From a cost stand point, that would definitely be a setup worth considering and one that would be hard to beat. That being said, your rear will see a lot more internal abuse than the front.

Mizippi

I went with this setup (~$15k)....XD60 front & UD60 rear. Both are 5.38s, ARBs, 8-lug, full width. (Yes I got an ARB in the in UD60)

woof359

whats the diff

I would mind a little schooling on the differences in axles and makers, 30, 40, 60???????

WJCO

Meme King
I would mind a little schooling on the differences in axles and makers, 30, 40, 60???????

This is extremely subjective depending on how you use the Jeep. But 30 is your stock front axle (unless you have a Rubicon) and can roughly hand 33s to 35s. 44 (not 40) is a 3/4 ton axle and can handle 35s to 37s depending on how you use it. 60 is a 1 ton axle that can handle 37s to 'whatever' DEPENDING on how you use it. 30 and 44 have similar parts but the ring and pinion on the 44 is bigger and stronger. 60 is much bigger in regards to all parts.

As far as who makes them, do your research. Dynatrac's prorock axles are built way stronger with thicker tubes. Also pay attn to the steel type and where the axle is manufactured. Any other questions could turn into a huge thread of controversy.

What's your goal with your Jeep? That's your starting point.

Here's some pics from my build thread showing a 4.56 ratio in D30 and D44. Look at the size difference:

DSC02639.jpg

DSC02641.jpg

rogerk93

In this case size absolutely matters. I'm still with my Dana 30 front and saving for a xd60. Depending on how you use your rig and the setup you can go with a prorock 44 or 60. I was looking into the cdr 60 because of price but looking into more I'm going with dynatrac for its reliability.

Top Bottom