Detailing your jeep

Bigjimbo

I bought the Torq kit a three years ago - it's been solid. The speed settings and the hex-logic pads are a great combo, especially with their instructional videos. The Torq really cuts down time, and is balanced and as comfortable as an orbital can get - IMO.

The 5.5" pads are large and there are a few spots on the Jeep its too big, so I'll manually do those by hand. Replacement pads are $5-10. I bought their 3" adapter, but it's just sat in the box for about a year now. I have also used the cutting pads on the softtop windows with good results.

Wash > claybar > compound > wax > seal. I usually do this process right before winter and foam cannon and hand wash after every salt attack we get. It's held up on the vehicles we have.

CG products I'd recommend:
Hex-logic orange, white, black pads
Citrus wash n gloss
All clean+
Microfiber towels
5gallon bucket and grit guard
Body/wheel shorthanded brush
Bare bones undercarriage

CG products I'm on the fence or wouldn't buy again:
Heavy Metal polish
Large washpad
Diablo wheel gel
Silk shine
Mr pink
Clay luber - just use distilled water

I'm sure I'm missing some, but hopefully this is helpful. Keeping a Jeep shiney is a tiring and endless task...

I know I know it's not a jeep....

I bought the CG waterless wash concentrate as a 110% skeptic. I just knew it wasn't going to work as advertised or it would leave scratches. Welp. It proved me wrong. Super impressed.

As you can see I went with the concentrate and their mist sprayer they carry.
IMG_5839.JPG .

After
IMG_5840.JPG .

The best pic I could get that shows how dirty it was. It's my beater commuter and it rained the last three days if that helps give an idea how dirty it was.
IMG_5841.JPG .

I will totally be using this stuff often and even on my jeep.

Learo2000GT

Little trick I learned a few years ago for mud and under carriage is to set up a yard sprinkler under neith your jeep after washing the big stuff out and let it go awhile. I have 2 set ho to run off one hose and it really does a good job off getting all the little crap out of the undercarriage that power washer doesn't get. I am a big time detailed and use Adams products but must admit my jeep has been neglected and is going o take some real serious work at some point.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

Little trick I learned a few years ago for mud and under carriage is to set up a yard sprinkler under neith your jeep after washing the big stuff out and let it go awhile. I have 2 set ho to run off one hose and it really does a good job off getting all the little crap out of the undercarriage that power washer doesn't get. I am a big time detailed and use Adams products but must admit my jeep has been neglected and is going o take some real serious work at some point.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is a pretty good idea!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Learo2000GT

This is a pretty good idea!!

Try it out. I was a skeptic at first but I was amazed of how much extra mud it pulled out. I use the old school articulation ones and then put a little brink in the modddle of them to hold them from flipping over and let hem run for a few hours. One day I even did it with out power washing off the big crap first and it did a greT job.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
the whole detailing thing frustrates me. I spend a couple of hours cleaning the Jeep and I still find something. The surface rust from power washing, rainy weather bugs me. I just want to take a can of black paint and go to it under the Jeep.

rich67

Caught the Bug
I used to get irritated too. I had mud stains all over the undercarriage. No amount of spraying a hose or pressure washer did squat. I use a product called GT 85 now. Found it at my local bike shop. It's a spray lubricant along the lines of WD. Don't know what's in the stuff, but the whole underside of my Jeep is as black as the day I bought it thanks to this stuff. And it lasts a couple washes too. It's a little pricey, but a can will last a while if all you hit is the undercarriage like the diff covers and fender liners.

Zevulin

I used to get irritated too. I had mud stains all over the undercarriage. No amount of spraying a hose or pressure washer did squat. I use a product called GT 85 now. Found it at my local bike shop. It's a spray lubricant along the lines of WD. Don't know what's in the stuff, but the whole underside of my Jeep is as black as the day I bought it thanks to this stuff. And it lasts a couple washes too. It's a little pricey, but a can will last a while if all you hit is the undercarriage like the diff covers and fender liners.

Fluid film will do the same, is a great product, and will keep the underside of the Jeep like new!
IMG_3446.JPG

For those of you that have taken a D.A. polisher to your JK.

Did you find the clear coat tough? I have swirls for days and some serious pinstripes. It's in desperate need of a proper 3 or 4 stage polish job.
Ugh. Daunting just thinking about how many hours it's going to take to do the entire Heep.

JeepJeep75

Did you find the clear coat tough? I have swirls for days and some serious pinstripes. It's in desperate need of a proper 3 or 4 stage polish job.
Ugh. Daunting just thinking about how many hours it's going to take to do the entire Heep.

One of the very few things I'll pay someone else to work on my jeep: polishing and waxing. F that rubbing crap. I always was to tense doing it. Killed me for a week after being so soar.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I haven't done the Jeep yet but with a DA polisher it shouldn't be to bad. I took the Torq 10FX to my 25' boat at the start of the season and that took 2 days to go from top to bottom on it. The Jeep will take far less time.

When I plan on doing my Jeep I'm going to use chemical guys V36 and an orange cutting pad then finish it with V38 and a white pad. Then apply some wax and sealant to make sure it can take the salt again this winter.

aTX427

I clay bar and hand wax my cars twice a year. I had an orbital and DA for my boats, but would be too concerned about burning the paint in an automotive application. As far as the under carriage is concerned, Rustoleum professional flat black makes it look new again.

BlackJKU08

Any tips for cleaning the engine bay? I bought mine used and as I keep working on things the dirty engine bay is really starting to get to me. There's a local detailer who will do it for $40, I'm thinking that might be worth it if results are guaranteed [emoji57] They have a great reputation as a detail company. But I'm always up for the DIY approach if it makes sense.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Any tips for cleaning the engine bay? I bought mine used and as I keep working on things the dirty engine bay is really starting to get to me. There's a local detailer who will do it for $40, I'm thinking that might be worth it if results are guaranteed [emoji57] They have a great reputation as a detail company. But I'm always up for the DIY approach if it makes sense.

I just picked up some of these, I am planning to tackle this this week.
IMG_5455.JPG
IMG_5456.JPG

Top Bottom