Did I choose right!?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea whenever I drive out west, it's amazing how nice roads are. Not sure if its better construction, less traffic (compared to the NYC area), less snow, different plowing methods, etc, but your roads are amazing. Im sure places like LA suck as well, but outside the big cities are probably really nice. Hope they stay that way!

I think snow and ice have a way of destroying pavement. In LA, the big rigs bust up the concrete but out in the OC, where it's 70° all year long, the road stay nice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that we've driven on desert trails that are smoother than what we drove on in Chicago. In fact, we got death wobble there :crazyeyes:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I should note that we've driven on desert trails that are smoother than what we drove on in Chicago. In fact, we got death wobble there :crazyeyes:

Hey man, driving in Chicago, deathwobble is the least of your problems. Just be glad you made it out alive. :D

Totally agreed, they really are when set a setting that feels best to you. My only problem with them is that the setting on pavement was not what I wanted off-road and really, it's cool that you change that setting and that got old for me. Going from one to another and for as often as I'm on the trail, it became a pain. But, not everyone is out on the trail as often as me and so for them, it may not be a problem.

Just to be fair, are both Jeeps 4-doors or 2-doors and are both loaded up the same? If your friend is loaded up more, he's most likely riding on the firm side of the dual rate coils. Just want to make sure we're comparing true apples to apples here as there are a lot more factors than just the two of you running the same lift. Just sayin...

IMHO, the 9000's can be every bit as "hardcore" so long as you have them dialed in for it. The 7000's are in my opinion, nicer than Bilsteins and shocks that will give an overall nice ride. Maybe not a comfortable as you can set a 9000 but, plenty good enough across the spectrum. Just trying to put things into perspective. :yup:

So Eddie which would you say perform better offroad, the bilsteins or ranchos. I have fox right now and they are a little rough on road. Off road though they are amazing. I am running teraflex shocks though and will be switching them out very soon with either RK or synergy. I have considered the EVO plush ride but I haven't found enough info on if they sag with added weight of bumpers and stuff. Any info there would be appreciated also. My issue might not be the shocks but just the springs I'm running.

seanb123

So Eddie which would you say perform better offroad, the bilsteins or ranchos. I have fox right now and they are a little rough on road. Off road though they are amazing. I am running teraflex shocks though and will be switching them out very soon with either RK or synergy. I have considered the EVO plush ride but I haven't found enough info on if they sag with added weight of bumpers and stuff. Any info there would be appreciated also. My issue might not be the shocks but just the springs I'm running.

I'm not Eddie but I might able to tell you what he might say. Fox shocks are usually the better option then say the bilsteins or ranches these are just the low end price but giving you what you need comfort and functionality. Now the plush rides from what I've heard from buddies are the best coils out their. My buddies teraflex kit runs rough as well so id think it's the coils. IMO if it's really bothering you try the plush with fox it really should give you a superior ride

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I'm not Eddie but I might able to tell you what he might say. Fox shocks are usually the better option then say the bilsteins or ranches these are just the low end price but giving you what you need comfort and functionality. Now the plush rides from what I've heard from buddies are the best coils out their. My buddies teraflex kit runs rough as well so id think it's the coils. IMO if it's really bothering you try the plush with fox it really should give you a superior ride

what sean said. your issue is the teraflex coils. i have them and they are stiff. that being said i dont mind it. i like a semi stiff ride but it seems you dont. i would swap your teraflex coils for the plush rides because they are amazing. i took a ride in Hinrich's jeep (he has 3" plush rides with bilstein 5100's) and it is great! amazingly smooth coil

Ok I thought I had seen a couple people mention on here that teraflex coils were pretty rough. My only concern is sag issues with the EVO plush coils. I don't want to have to add spacers just to get the advertised ride height or counter the sag later on down the road. And that's only if they sag, I'm not saying they do. That's the info I'm seeking. I hear great things on synergy coils and they are progressive and now RK has put out their triple rate. Which really hasn't been tested much.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ok I thought I had seen a couple people mention on here that teraflex coils were pretty rough. My only concern is sag issues with the EVO plush coils. I don't want to have to add spacers just to get the advertised ride height or counter the sag later on down the road. And that's only if they sag, I'm not saying they do. That's the info I'm seeking. I hear great things on synergy coils and they are progressive and now RK has put out their triple rate. Which really hasn't been tested much.

Unfortunately, that comes with the territory. If you want to minimize sag, you want springs that either have sag engineered in and/or a dualrate spring. Dualrates have some negatives as well, so like everything in the jeep world, you have to pick your poison.

Unfortunately, that comes with the territory. If you want to minimize sag, you want springs that either have sag engineered in and/or a dualrate spring. Dualrates have some negatives as well, so like everything in the jeep world, you have to pick your poison.

Yea waiting to see if synergy goes on sale again here soon or how the new RK triple rate are and what their price is.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I have also run the Ranchos and Pro Comps, I actually ran the Pro Comps for a few years. I was less than impressed with the quality and ride. I hope it works out for you.

Hooligan

My pro crap shocks went in a dumpster. About to do same with the 4" pro crap springs that have sagged to just over 2" inches. Stay well away from that garbage.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

so what did you end up getting?

Top Bottom