Drivetrain/regear question

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Holy fucking shit. I'm no Chrysler engineer but I wouldn't trust the different gears in the front from messing with the t case even if it's a short distance. It's a total of 8 bolts to remove the damn front shaft. Take the time and remove the fucking thing for 20 mins of your time so you don't spend more on rebuilding a t case

So regearing the rear only means the front shaft spins slower than the rear and causes damage when TC is in two wheel drive? So removing the driveshaft completely means the front of the transfer case isn't spinning at all while driving down the road with the rear spinning. Wouldn't no driveshaft be worse????

So regearing the rear only means the front shaft spins slower than the rear and causes damage when TC is in two wheel drive? So removing the driveshaft completely means the front of the transfer case isn't spinning at all while driving down the road with the rear spinning. Wouldn't no driveshaft be worse????
Im pretty sure the issue is that with the shaft in, even in 2wd, the pavement forces axles, diff, shaft and output flange to all turn.

Benito

Caught the Bug
So in the next month or so, i plan on having a rear locker installed, as well as regearing the rear. I also plan on installing a new front axle, already locked and geared the way itll need to be. Question is, if the rear is being done at a shop, and the fronts being done at my house, whats the best way to make the jeep driveable from point a to point b?

Can i just pull the front driveshaft? Or no....sry, im no drivetrain expert.

Just drop the front drive shaft. when I was getting my axles worked on, the shop was taking too long and I had have my vehicle for the weekend. They got the front end all buttoned up (4.88 gears) and didn't touch the rear (4.10). I drove 700 miles without the front drive shaft with no traction control issues or anything weird besides not having a front drive shaft.

Just drop the front drive shaft. when I was getting my axles worked on, the shop was taking too long and I had have my vehicle for the weekend. They got the front end all buttoned up (4.88 gears) and didn't touch the rear (4.10). I drove 700 miles without the front drive shaft with no traction control issues or anything weird besides not having a front drive shaft.
Yup. Thats my plan no that several people have given real world testimony

Top Bottom