Dynatrac Codex 3 burnout video coming tomorrow on IG

WJCO

Meme King
I guess I'm just trying to get a pulse on whether or not something like this or CODEX would have grabbed your attention if you knew nothing about Dynatrac. Would it make you want to look at them as a company and the products they make?

Good question. From a Jeep perspective, probably not. But if I were looking for performance modifications, it might catch my attention.

Ddays

Hooked
Agreed, the overlanding market is a big one and one they used to be more a part of back in the glory days of Sportsmobiles. How something like this helps their cause eludes me but I figured maybe I'm just out of the loop on what's cool.

With that said, is there something you think they could do with CODEX that would peak your interest or maybe the overlanding crowd?

I don't think that Dynatrac could do anything more for me with this build because I really don't have much of an interest in this glamping/overlanding shit. I build my Jeep to do pretty much whatever I wanted, including driving cross country (and blowing up tcases :rolleyes2:), so the notion of an overlanding vehicle is kind of weird

But to break into a new market that doesn't necessarily value something like axles may be tough. They have to figure how to create that demand. Teaming up with one of the big outfitters would probably be a good start. And doing this build with PCOR involved was also a good idea.

Edit: Seems like a huge marketing tool anymore is getting hooked with these do-called social media influencers. Want to sell a shitload of makeup? Get hooked up with Some hot chick with a ton of followers. Social media isn't going away anytime soon and for a lot of people that tune out of the traditional media outlets, this is the only way to market to those folks.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm much more interested in the tech videos you do with dynatrac. The problems they see and the fixes they have created for them are much more relevant to me than a burnout video. I still go back from time to time and watch the 60 and 80 build videos. I think something along the lines of destructive testing of an axle assembly would be cool if they're dead set on destruction. Maybe forces required to bend end forgings on stock jk/jl vs a pro rock. Or measuring tube strengths based on various diameters and wall thicknesses. They talk about how one set up is x% stronger than another, I'd be curious what the numbers are. Maybe I'm just a nerd but that seems much more entertaining to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

We really are glad that you enjoy the videos we've made with Dynatrac. Unfortunately, they can't hold a candle to click bait or bikinis or at least in the short term. What Dynatrac is looking for is a viral video and they're putting their bets on this burnout. I'll be honest and say that it never occurred to me that so many people would be interested in something like this and so I wanted to get some perspective on things.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Is there a video they could do with CODEX that you think would?

Absolutely... Wheel it.. Wheel it hard. Document it as a Chase Vehicle in Baja.. Or take it on a week long excursion of difficult Trails and overnight Camping. Lets see how those Axles/Hemi take abuse and get CodeX to places where most “Overlanding” rigs would struggle or Fail. Dynatrac builds the “Confidence to Explore”... let’s see it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good question. From a Jeep perspective, probably not. But if I were looking for performance modifications, it might catch my attention.

You mean like an oil catch can? :cheesy:

I don't think that Dynatrac could do anything more for me with this build because I really don't have much of an interest in this glamping/overlanding shit. I build my Jeep to do pretty much whatever I wanted, including driving cross country (and blowing up tcases :rolleyes2:), so the notion of an overlanding vehicle is kind of weird

But to break into a new market that doesn't necessarily value something like axles may be tough. They have to figure how to create that demand. Teaming up with one of the big outfitters would probably be a good start. And doing this build with PCOR involved was also a good idea.

LOL - I'm with ya on this. I've literally driven Moby all across the country, wheeled him hard and drove back home again. Before "overlanding" was a thing, we used to call it "off-roading" and "camping". But, I digress.

I agree with you that working with PCOR was a good move to break into this market. Can you think of a video Dynatrac could do with them or their products that would do more for them or should I say, peak the interest from the customer base they're targeting?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely... Wheel it.. Wheel it hard. Document it as a Chase Vehicle in Baja.. Or take it on a week long excursion of difficult Trails and overnight Camping. Lets see how those Axles/Hemi take abuse and get CodeX to places where most “Overlanding” rigs would struggle or Fail. Dynatrac builds the “Confidence to Explore”... let’s see it.

LOL - seems like the obvious thing to do. At least, to me anyway. I guess they didn't think it would be viral material.

rubiDave

So, serious question here - does the idea of CODEX doing a burnout excite anyone? I mean, does it make you want to drop everything to tune it as soon as the video is released? Is there something Dynatrac could do that would? Again, serious question.
Burn out, no. But if they we're able to twist the tubes on the stock axle...[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
We really are glad that you enjoy the videos we've made with Dynatrac. Unfortunately, they can't hold a candle to click bait or bikinis or at least in the short term. What Dynatrac is looking for is a viral video and they're putting their bets on this burnout. I'll be honest and say that it never occurred to me that so many people would be interested in something like this and so I wanted to get some perspective on things.
I think the best path they could take with CODEX would be a series of JKX style videos. Take it out and show people what it can do. Dynatrac has made there name with this crowd. Put it through the paces doing what the people would do with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
You mean like an oil catch can? :cheesy:

LOL - I'm with ya on this. I've literally driven Moby all across the country, wheeled him hard and drove back home again. Before "overlanding" was a thing, we used to call it "off-roading" and "camping". But, I digress.

I agree with you that working with PCOR was a good move to break into this market. Can you think of a video Dynatrac could do with them or their products that would do more for them or should I say, peak the interest from the customer base they're targeting?

Remember the Camel Trophy ? How about several Jeep's built with their axles and sponsor a "Dynatrac Trophy" competition? Throw short vids out on the social media platforms and do the long form or stages on Youtube. Get EVO involved, Jeep, other sponsors and violia - instant buzz and demand.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the best path they could take with CODEX would be a series of JKX style videos. Take it out and show people what it can do. Dynatrac has made there name with this crowd. Put it through the paces doing what the people would do with it.

Remember the Camel Trophy ? How about several Jeep's built with their axles and sponsor a "Dynatrac Trophy" competition? Throw short vids out on the social media platforms and do the long form or stages on Youtube. Get EVO involved, Jeep, other sponsors and violia - instant buzz and demand.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere! :thumb:

critter812

So, serious question here - does the idea of CODEX doing a burnout excite anyone? I mean, does it make you want to drop everything to tune it as soon as the video is released? Is there something Dynatrac could do that would? Again, serious question.

If they want to do a cool burnout to get attention they will just may be with a crowd that cannot afford to buy their axles!

As for a Video with CODEX that would get peoples attention that would spend money! How about using that horsepower to destroy the stock axles and do the same thing and show how theirs hold up to same abuse!

when you are 1 of several companies that do the same thing you need to prove why I should give you my hard earned money and not the other guy making the same claims you are! its like putting a sign in front of your Hotdog cart that says world famous!

Brute

Hooked
I miss the Camel Trophy races...having something similar with Jeeps would be very cool and I would definitely watch...

Drove my Hellcat to the store to buy groceries...while leaving, I was thinking of Ddays...almost stabbed the skinny pedal in the parking lot...but only almost. Did get to 0-40 mph in under 2 seconds though (all without any smoke)...Mercer Island police know my jeep well...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If they want to do a cool burnout to get attention they will just may be with a crowd that cannot afford to buy their axles!

As for a Video with CODEX that would get peoples attention that would spend money! How about using that horsepower to destroy the stock axles and do the same thing and show how theirs hold up to same abuse!

when you are 1 of several companies that do the same thing you need to prove why I should give you my hard earned money and not the other guy making the same claims you are! its like putting a sign in front of your Hotdog cart that says world famous!

Now THAT is a GREAT idea!!! I could totally see how something like that would be made short, simple and something people would want to see!! :thumb:

USMC Wrangler

I have a neighbor that has one of the 4x4 diesel Ford vans. He’s always putting more gadgets and gizmos in and on it to make it better for his “overlanding/off grid trips”. I asked him about his driveshafts and axles withstanding the weight and terrain he drives. He has no clue what he has other than a diesel and 4x4. He is the only person like this I’m acquainted with, so I don’t know if this is the norm.

If CODEX was anything but a Jeep product with Dynatrac axles I think it would’ve gone over better. That’s just my personal opinion.

No, I’m not chomping at the bit to see CODEX burn out. Do I want to see the trendy, Chinese tires get shredded? Meh. I can live without it.

If CODEX was given to me I’d drive it. If money were no object, I’d build something more along the lines of OG40. I can’t honestly think of anything Dynatrac can do to market CODEX to me, a Jeep owner who likes to DD mine and hit trails with it. It hasn’t soured me on the brand, their longevity or customer service and I still plan to do a PR44 in the future.

boardsurfer

In my opinion, the majority of this forum just isn't the target market for Codex. Personally, that "lifestyle" doesnt interest me. I dont want to load down my Jeep with tents, refrigerators, propane tanks, a shower, a kitchen, canopy, etc. Add to that, the Gladiator isnt really recognizable as such because they tore it up pretty good. I'm all about the custom fab, that's awesome, but they really should have left the 4 doors at least, and a flat bed behind that.

On a side note, I did catch a glimpse of Codex coming out of the Eisenhower tunnel about a week ago and I knew immediately what it was.. so there's that. :crazyeyes:

As for ideas, it's a purpose built monster rig - put it to the test! There are several Back Country Discovery Routes (google that) around the country that would get the truck out in the sticks and put it to the Overlanding test. There's a BCDR that goes AZ to ID through UT almost entirely on dirt. Get a talented film crew such as yourself and they will probably get some attention.

Top Bottom