Dynatrac pr44 no axles?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I think they are making their own chromoly shafts now actually. They look pretty nice to

They offer front shafts for the Rubicon 44 and their PR44 that is designed to accept the Rubicon 44 internals. They do not have shafts for their Unlimited PR44.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Sharkey, Eaton manufactured the Carrier, I don't know who manufactured the ring and pinion, I don't know who manufactured the bearings, but they are all in the housing. What's your point? When I say it was ordered as a complete assembly, the guy ordered it for me assembled the same way Dyna would have done it for me personally if I had called. It wasn't a vendor build.

I think what you are failing to understand is, Dynatrac does not sell fully assembled units to vendors. In that regards, if that's what 4WP told you, they lied. What happens is, you buy a fully built axle from the vendor. The vendor gathers and assembles the parts for your axle, and sells it to you as a whole unit. The only way to get a fully assembled axle from Dynatrac is if you, the consumer, orders direct from Dynatrac and specify you want a complete axle. Bottom line, your fully built and assembled axle is being built by 4WP, so if there is an issue, it would be there fault and you would need to contact them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Take the time to actually read what Eddie is telling you. Dynatrac doesn't sell fully set up axles to vendors for resale to customers. So, it WAS a vendor build.

To be fair, there is one shop that I know of that insists Dynatrac does the full build and that would be Off Road Evolution. Because of it, they have a harder time competing in price. Vendors can offer better deals because they can mix and match parts that they have in stock or get better deals on (such as gears and axle shafts) and if necessary, shave a little here and there to save in the cost of labor. And really, so long as you trust the shop, there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't know how the OP could automatically assume that the problem he has is Dynatrac's fault just because such a reputable vendor like 4WheelParts is the one that ordered it for him. What I can tell you is that if he ordered his ProRock 44 directly from Dynatrac or even Off Road Evolution, he would KNOW exactly what axle shafts he was getting because both of them would have insisted he specified which ones he wanted. Of course, not as if I would have any insides as to how any of this works.

Out of curiosity, did your wonderful vendor also sell you on the idea of 4.56 gears with an automatic, 37" tires, and the 3.6? :crazyeyes:

Seriously!! :cheesy:

They offer front shafts for the Rubicon 44 and their PR44 that is designed to accept the Rubicon 44 internals. They do not have shafts for their Unlimited PR44.

This is correct but it should also be clarified that Dyantrac does NOT make axle shafts for the ProRock 44 or at least, not as of yet. If you're ordering directly from them, you would need to specify what axle shafts you want. If you don't know, they will recommend a set and typically, it'll be RCV.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think what you are failing to understand is, Dynatrac does not sell fully assembled units to vendors. In that regards, if that's what 4WP told you, they lied. What happens is, you buy a fully built axle from the vendor. The vendor gathers and assembles the parts for your axle, and sells it to you as a whole unit. The only way to get a fully assembled axle from Dynatrac is if you, the consumer, orders direct from Dynatrac and specify you want a complete axle. Bottom line, your fully built and assembled axle is being built by 4WP, so if there is an issue, it would be there fault and you would need to contact them.

As I had just posted up, Dynatrac "could" sell fully assembled units to shops and they do with Off Road Evolution because Off Road Evolution insists on it but, they typically don't and can't imagine a mega vendor like 4WheelParts would want them to being that they could save so much money using their own G2 components and their own guys to do the install work. The fact that the OP can't even tell us what axle shafts he's supposed to be getting is proof enough for me.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
To be fair, there is one shop that I know of that insists Dynatrac does the full build and that would be Off Road Evolution. Because of it, they have a harder time competing in price.

This is one of the reasons I bought my pr44 thru ore. They were cheaper than it coming direct from Dynatrac but it was still being built by Dynatrac so I know it was all being set up right. Them being more expensive than other vendors was well worth it.

dodgerob2

So here is the story as I understand it. I went to 4 wheel parts to inquire about a g2 core 44 with 4:56 gears and an Eaton E-locker. I wanted Dynatrac, but to ship it to Canada through Canada Customs as a private buyer is a total pain in the ass. I was told the G2 unit was about 6 months out and that they would see if they could get the pr44 that I actually wanted. While at the store they contacted Dynatrac and ordered a complete build PR44. I specified chromoly axles but not RCV's. I didn't ask who was their axle supplier because being Dynatrac, I knew they would be good quality. After waiting 7 weeks and paying over 6600.00 (exchange rate, duty, shipping, plus 4wp cut) I went to pick-up my Pr44. The housing was assembled, gears, carrier, yoke, ball joints, on a small pallet with the wiring for the E-locker in a Dynatrac box. The only thing is that there were no axles with the pallet. I know you all want to slam me for where I bought the unit, my choices of build parts and just my general intellect. That's fine. I can only guess that either the parts were shipped in seperate crates, the axles are being shipped direct from the supplier or as everybody stated, 4wp screwed up and didn't order them. But this is what happened to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

So here is the story as I understand it. I went to 4 wheel parts to inquire about a g2 core 44 with 4:56 gears and an Eaton E-locker. I wanted Dynatrac, but to ship it to Canada through Canada Customs as a private buyer is a total pain in the ass. I was told the G2 unit was about 6 months out and that they would see if they could get the pr44 that I actually wanted. While at the store they contacted Dynatrac and ordered a complete build PR44. I specified chromoly axles but not RCV's. I didn't ask who was their axle supplier because being Dynatrac, I knew they would be good quality. After waiting 7 weeks and paying over 6600.00 (exchange rate, duty, shipping, plus 4wp cut) I went to pick-up my Pr44. The housing was assembled, gears, carrier, yoke, ball joints, on a small pallet with the wiring for the E-locker in a Dynatrac box. The only thing is that there were no axles with the pallet. I know you all want to slam me for where I bought the unit, my choices of build parts and just my general intellect. That's fine. I can only guess that either the parts were shipped in seperate crates, the axles are being shipped direct from the supplier or as everybody stated, 4wp screwed up and didn't order them. But this is what happened to the best of my knowledge.

No one slammed you for what or where, it was your initial attitude towards Dynatrac and then your inability to accept any other possible explanation beyond your own which was incorrect.

turbineguy

You should of probably just told the complete story up front... there are a lot of details here that we didn't have before.

If I were you, I would just contact Dynatrac directly instead of trying to go through 4wp first. They should be able to clarify if their build sheet included the axles. If you try and go through 4wp, I suspect that you might not get a straight answer and maybe not as fast.

I find it hard to believe that Dynatrac would shipped an axle assembly out without axle shafts unless they had a specific reason, (i.e. miscommunication with 4wp is most likely).

I know it must suck to have to wait a little bit longer.

Did you get the HD housing?

Good luck, and please keep us updated as to what happened.

kpig

For what it's worth, I don't think the salesman at 4wp understood the ordering process. He is looking at a computer screen giving him a menu of items to order (kinda like Sears). They cut costs by hiring cheap labor (=inexperienced or incompetent). Unfortunately for you, his lack of understanding of the process probably delayed the order. Now the salesman doesn't know how to explain the error but blame it on Dynatrac. Chalk this up as a learning lesson. You can save a few dollars by going to 4wp but usually at the expense of your convenience because of inexperienced sales staff.

Good luck with the axle. Hope it works out in the end.

holliewood61

Not trying to be an ass, but this is where doing shit yourself pays off. Had you bought the housing from Dynatrac, bought the internals separately, and bought a dial indicator. You would of had an axle set up to your specs, and for a lot less coin.

I have less than $1500 in my front and rear 44's by buying junk yard axles and putting them together with 4.88's, install kits, and lunchbox lockers. Even if I had went with selectables, I would of come in way under your price for just the front, and known it was done right.

Last edited:

allwhitejeeps

Not trying to be an ass, but this is where doing shit yourself pays off. Had you bought the housing from Dynatrac, bought the internals separately, and bought a dial indicator. You would of had an axle set up to your specs, and for a lot less coin.

I have less than $1500 in my front and rear 44's by buying junk yard axles and putting them together with 4.88's, install kits, and lunchbox lockers. Even if I had went with selectables, I would of come in way under your price for just the front, and known it was done right.

I dont think doing it himself was the problem but rather going to a retailer (4wp) that just fed him info to get his money. If he had went to a knowledgable retailer that would have done him good then he wouldn't have this problem.

holliewood61

Mind set can be a problem though. The instant gratification of just buying something and bolting it in is nice, but had he been willing to do a little work and possibly learn something about his rig along the way would of paid off in this case, in grief and knowledge

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You also have a 40 year old jeep. Not a lot of people want to buy a $30k+ vehicle and put junkyard shit in it.

holliewood61

Junkyard shit seems to be holding up fine for me. If you would read my post fully. You would see that I said he could purchase the Dynatrac housing, and fill it with the guts of his his choosing for less coin, and know it was done right.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Junkyard shit seems to be holding up fine for me. If you would read my post fully. You would see that I said he could purchase the Dynatrac housing, and fill it with the guts of his his choosing for less coin, and know it was done right.

Not everyone knows how to set gears. He would still have to pay someone to do that.

Not everyone wants to try and prove how badass they are like yourself.

turbineguy

I dont think doing it himself was the problem but rather going to a retailer (4wp) that just fed him info to get his money. If he had went to a knowledgable retailer that would have done him good then he wouldn't have this problem.

I don't think our Canadian friends up north have as many options for Dynatrac as we do here in the United States... his heart was in the right place though as far as wanting Dynatrac over G2.

holliewood61

No need to jump on my shit. I also stated it would be a good learning opportunity. I'm not trying to be a "badass" as you stated. I learned how to set up gears from a fellow jeep owner. There is absolutely nothing wrong with learning how to work on your own rig. There are people out there in local jeep clubs more than willing to help someone out with things such as this. One just needs to ask.

Top Bottom