Dynatrac pro grip brakes

Brute

Hooked
new brakes

I went with EBC slotted rotors & yellowstuff brake pads...fits std JK calipers...big improvement over stock. However, I'm building a JK-8 and will be going with Wilwood 4-piston calipers & 14" rotors...this will require 18" wheels as well

bsimon187

I honestly could not imagine needing any more stopping power than the current Dynatrac ProGrips provide. The difference between stock and the ProGrip is night and day. They stop my heavy jeep with ease on and off road. For the price and getting all 4 corners, I think that is the best brake deal on the market IMHO..

werks

I went with EBC slotted rotors & yellowstuff brake pads...fits std JK calipers...big improvement over stock. However, I'm building a JK-8 and will be going with Wilwood 4-piston calipers & 14" rotors...this will require 18" wheels as well

I'm new to the Jeep end of things but have done quite a bit of brake system/pad testing and development for companies specifically with CCM rotors with my track car so I'm pretty knowledgeable about brakes. While Wilwood calipers may look a lot tricker than what comes stock on Jeeps, performance wise their calipers are considered to be at the lower end of the performance range for aftermarket calipers. You may want to take a look at the ProGrip2 system that was discussed on this thread which looks like it uses a fairly high end 6 piston Stoptech caliper (which are much higer quality/performance than anything Wilwood offers) or even something not as blingy like the OEM set up on the new Dana ultimate 60's (which I think is the set up on Ram2500's). Both of which will offer better performance than what you will get from any of the Wilwood 4 piston calipers.

Brute

Hooked
Thanks, I'll check out the Pro Grips. It's my understanding that the number of pistons on the caliper is not the main reason for improved stopping power, but having the calipers further away from the center (i.e. larger rotor) is what improves stopping power 60mph-0mph...is that your understanding as well?

Stock JK rotors are larger in the front than the rear (which makes sense to me) at 12.44"F/11.89"R...the Pro grips are larger in the rear than the front (I'm not sure why, perhaps to minimize nose dive in a hard braking scenario) at 13.50"F/14.25"R...

FYI...Casey Currie has won 3 straight KOH's with Wilwood calipers & rotors...

Brute

Hooked
I guess when a boulder pops up doing 140 mph might be a good time...

All kidding aside, I am a big fan of Dynatrac products...I have two sets of axles on two different Jeeps. I'm thinking a set of Pro Grips on HD PR 60's is good place to start with my new build.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess when a boulder pops up doing 140 mph might be a good time...

All kidding aside, I am a big fan of Dynatrac products...I have two sets of axles on two different Jeeps. I'm thinking a set of Pro Grips on HD PR 60's is good place to start with my new build.

LOL - My point was that Casey is a great driver and he runs a fast car that's dialed in to the brutal conditions out in Johnson Valley. That and he has a great crew supporting him. If I could guess, that is why he wins and I'd bet he could do it with factory JK brakes :crazyeyes:

Brute

Hooked
Yes, he is a great driver...but I also think he wins because he builds great vehicles, and chooses components that withstand the attrition KOH's places on build design & execution...

rogerk93

It won't be available any time soon. Some time next year.

Clearly, you've never driven a JK with 37" (or 40" tires for that matter) that have the ProGrip 1. Trust me, I have and even got to do some testing with Dynatrac to see how they compare with equally setup JK's running their competitions brakes and without question, the ProGrip is WAY BETTER. You get solid, flat braking performance and without locking up your tires unlike their competition. The ProGrip 2's are really designed for 40's or bigger but after running my ProGrip 1s with 40x15.50's, I can't say that I feel the need for the upgrade. Of course, that's just me.

This is accurate ^^^

Pro grip 1 is in my price range. You have a had a decent amount of time to play with them in sure. I'll take your opinion.

werks

Thanks, I'll check out the Pro Grips. It's my understanding that the number of pistons on the caliper is not the main reason for improved stopping power, but having the calipers further away from the center (i.e. larger rotor) is what improves stopping power 60mph-0mph...is that your understanding as well?

Stock JK rotors are larger in the front than the rear (which makes sense to me) at 12.44"F/11.89"R...the Pro grips are larger in the rear than the front (I'm not sure why, perhaps to minimize nose dive in a hard braking scenario) at 13.50"F/14.25"R...

FYI...Casey Currie has won 3 straight KOH's with Wilwood calipers & rotors...

Correct the number of pistons is not the main reason for improved stopping power. Its' rotor diameter, swept area of the rotor (annulus), pad surface area, the pad's coefficent of friction (Mu), piston and master cylender volume etc. that all comes into play and dictates overal braking performance. What more pistons does do though is help in packaging issues. So where you are for instance trying to get a larger rotor inside a smaller wheel size, you would then run use a calipe that has a wider brake pad (so that you have more pad surface area) and the use of more pistons allows you to use different piston sizes (diameters) across the caliper to try and keep the pressure across the pad equal which reduces pad taper (the brake pad wearing unevenly).

In regards to rotor diameter, traditionaly you are right most cars trucks and SUV's use braking systems that are largely front biased through larger diameter front rotors as during braking weight transitions to the front and you get about 60-70% of your braking force from your front tires. It also makes it a lot less likely to for an inexperienced user to spin a vehicle under braking (i.e. a panick stop) as with a heavily front biased braking force the car will just plow (go straight) if you lock up the brakes. As I've mentioned I'm new to the whole off-road thing but I'm thinking though that for relatively low speed off-road stuff the vehicle is generally pretty evenly ballanced (as far as weight distribution is concerend) and as the vehicles are generally pretty softly sprung as you mentioned they are possibly trying to stop nose dive under hard braking.

In regards to the KOH results with Wilwood again not trying to say they do not work, just stating that from a track performance standpoint (for which they were made) there are much better and higher end solutions out there i.e. the Stoptech brakes that I mentioned which are more of a midrange product but is a considerably stiffer caliper than anything Wilwood offers. High end for track use would be considered offerings from AP Racing and Brembo and can get up into stupid money ($5k+ per caliper).

Last edited:

rogerk93

I honestly could not imagine needing any more stopping power than the current Dynatrac ProGrips provide. The difference between stock and the ProGrip is night and day. They stop my heavy jeep with ease on and off road. For the price and getting all 4 corners, I think that is the best brake deal on the market IMHO..

Yea for the price I think it is a great bang for your buck

The new ProGrip II is still a little ways out. I can't give a date at this time. We are looking into further improvements including possible 17-inch wheel fitment. Right now the prototype kit does require the 18-inch wheel.

If I understood correctly there was a previous question about balance from front to back. Don't confuse balance with pressure proportioning. Most brake systems are designed to send more pressure to the front than the rear, but that has to be designed into the total system.

Corner weights, weight transfer, friction combinations, rotor sizes, caliper sizes, and proportioning are all variables that must be engineered to work as a integrated system for a particular vehicle. That work was done very carefully on our current ProGrip kit to make sure your Jeep has optimal balanced braking and gets the maximum adhesion that tires can grab from the ground. We are supremely confident that the current ProGrip kit offers outstanding leadership in performance at a very reasonable price.

ProGrip II will take that capability to a new higher level, but will also be more expensive.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, he is a great driver...but I also think he wins because he builds great vehicles, and chooses components that withstand the attrition KOH's places on build design & execution...

Right, a vehicle that weighs a fraction of the weigh of a JK and really, is nothing close to being a JK. It's total apples and oranges but I get it. Michael Jordan wears a pair of Nike's and the shoes had to of helped him to become who he is. That's how marketing works and clearly, it's worked on you. Nothing wrong with that and I never said anything bad about the brakes he's chosen to run.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The new ProGrip II is still a little ways out. I can't give a date at this time. We are looking into further improvements including possible 17-inch wheel fitment. Right now the prototype kit does require the 18-inch wheel.

If I understood correctly there was a previous question about balance from front to back. Don't confuse balance with pressure proportioning. Most brake systems are designed to send more pressure to the front than the rear, but that has to be designed into the total system.

Corner weights, weight transfer, friction combinations, rotor sizes, caliper sizes, and proportioning are all variables that must be engineered to work as a integrated system for a particular vehicle. That work was done very carefully on our current ProGrip kit to make sure your Jeep has optimal balanced braking and gets the maximum adhesion that tires can grab from the ground. We are supremely confident that the current ProGrip kit offers outstanding leadership in performance at a very reasonable price.

ProGrip II will take that capability to a new higher level, but will also be more expensive.

Thanks for chiming in and clearing a few things up. Nothing better than hearing right from the horses mouth - or so to speak :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pro grip 1 is in my price range. You have a had a decent amount of time to play with them in sure. I'll take your opinion.

Well, what I can tell you is that I have been running on them for the better part of the year with a set of 37's and the stopping power they provide is outstanding. Felt like I was running stock tires again and a fraction of the weight that my JK really is. I have since started testing them with a set of massive 40x15.50's mounted on ATX Chamber Pro II's that together weigh close to 200 lbs. each and amazingly, they still stop surprisingly well. Of course, I'm no KOH racer and you'll have to take my opinion for what it is :)

rogerk93

I appreciate the response. Surprised to hear how much engineering actually goes into it.

IgotaWoody39

Well, what I can tell you is that I have been running on them for the better part of the year with a set of 37's and the stopping power they provide is outstanding. Felt like I was running stock tires again and a fraction of the weight that my JK really is. I have since started testing them with a set of massive 40x15.50's mounted on ATX Chamber Pro II's that together weigh close to 200 lbs. each and amazingly, they still stop surprisingly well. Of course, I'm no KOH racer and you'll have to take my opinion for what it is :)

Before you converted over from stock, did you have "spongey" brake peddle ?? , if so did the dynatracs clear that problem...,,, I've had nothing but issues with a spongey feeling brake peddle to the point that i have parked the jeep....Ive replaced every component, reversed bled the system sevrral times, hooked a solus pro up an bled the hcu and still have a spongey pedal...any ideas ? Do you think the dynatracs would eleviate the problem ?,,,

Top Bottom