Earthquake in Carson City?

jdofmemi

I just seen this.

Glad you guys are OK.

So, that's two relatively significant earthquakes in places that don't normally see those kind of things just a few days apart.

I hope it don't have something to do with Doug's link. That's all we need in the middle of the shit we are already in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just seen this.

Glad you guys are OK.

So, that's two relatively significant earthquakes in places that don't normally see those kind of things just a few days apart.

I hope it don't have something to do with Doug's link. That's all we need in the middle of the shit we are already in.

Actually, Nevada and the Great Basin Desert as a whole is very seismically active. It's the reason why Nevada has the most mountain ranges in the U.S. and why we have the most hot springs as well. Most of of our temblors are just really small. However, in 1954, the Dixie Valley had a 7.4 hit it along with a 6.9 aftershock soon after. If you go out there, the fault is visible and quite large in places.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Actually, Nevada and the Great Basin Desert as a whole is very seismically active. It's the reason why Nevada has the most mountain ranges in the U.S. and why we have the most hot springs as well. Most of of our temblors are just really small. However, in 1954, the Dixie Valley had a 7.4 hit it along with a 6.9 aftershock soon after. If you go out there, the fault is visible and quite large in places.

Do I hear a trip to the Dixie Valley coming up?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do I hear a trip to the Dixie Valley coming up?

When this whole china virus thing passes, we really should. The BLM has contacted me about the area as there are plans by the Navy to seize a lot more of it. More than likely, they'll get it and we'll be out of more trails. It is really remote though and gas or the lack of it is an issue. :crazyeyes:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
When this whole china virus thing passes, we really should. The BLM has contacted me about the area as there are plans by the Navy to seize a lot more of it. More than likely, they'll get it and we'll be out of more trails. It is really remote though and gas or the lack of it is an issue. :crazyeyes:

Good thing you have a truck now. You can help people move and bring the gas. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

benatc1

Hooked
I hadn't realized how active the The Great Basin is, pretty neat. Also, While I do completely understand the why, I still find it funny that the Navy has so much dirt in there middle of a desert

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good thing you have a truck now. You can help people move and bring the gas. Lol

:cheesy: You nailed it! As you know, I was actually looking forward to helping my sis tow their new trailer out to their ranch out but guess that's gonna have to wait now. :naw:

I hadn't realized how active the The Great Basin is, pretty neat. Also, While I do completely understand the why, I still find it funny that the Navy has so much dirt in there middle of a desert

LOL - ain't that the truth!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Glad you guys are ok and no damage was done. I can fortunately say I have never experience one before.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you guys are ok and no damage was done. I can fortunately say I have never experience one before.

Having been born and raised in SoCal, Cindy and I have been through quite a few and several that were really big. Anything less than a 5, we don't even care about anymore. And really, I'd rather have to deal with a earthquake every here and there than to live with a hurricane or tornado "season" every year.

jdofmemi

Having been born and raised in SoCal, Cindy and I have been through quite a few and several that were really big. Anything less than a 5, we don't even care about anymore. And really, I'd rather have to deal with a earthquake every here and there than to live with a hurricane or tornado "season" every year.

I totally agree with that.

I moved to SoCal in 1989 and not long after experienced I think it was a 5.5 quake. No real damage done, and it was cool to see the "waves" roll across the ground, and the job trailer roll like a boat on a lake. Been through many since, and have never been worried.

Tornadoes and hurricanes, with their seasons, are not for me.

Ddays

Hooked
I totally agree with that.

I moved to SoCal in 1989 and not long after experienced I think it was a 5.5 quake. No real damage done, and it was cool to see the "waves" roll across the ground, and the job trailer roll like a boat on a lake. Been through many since, and have never been worried.

Tornadoes and hurricanes, with their seasons, are not for me.

LOL, seeing the ground rolling in waves would have me freaked out completely and on my way back to tornado season before it even quit. :eek:

jdofmemi

LOL, seeing the ground rolling in waves would have me freaked out completely and on my way back to tornado season before it even quit. :eek:

Then I shouldn't mention the time I stood next to our old dump truck on Hendrixon pad suspension (very stiff) and watched it start bouncing to the point the tires were coming about 6" off the ground.

Or the time I watched the hot water heater bounce nearly a foot high and really test out the earthquake straps, and keep doing it for a good half a minute or more.

Ddays

Hooked
Then I shouldn't mention the time I stood next to our old dump truck on Hendrixon pad suspension (very stiff) and watched it start bouncing to the point the tires were coming about 6" off the ground.

Or the time I watched the hot water heater bounce nearly a foot high and really test out the earthquake straps, and keep doing it for a good half a minute or more.

hahahaha.....haha...ha...no

download.jpg

Trail JK

Truth! Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom