EMMA in all her ELEGANCE - TOTAL MAKEOVER of a 1969 Jeepster Commando

Great job so far Eddie!!! It nice that you can take the time to do it right, makes you feel good about it later. Keep up the good work!

tonwantonga

Emma

Ugly sexy. that is a great description! I've always had an eye for the Commando, ever since I had that little powder blue Tonka Commando in my sandbox in the early 70's. Emma is looking incredible. I need to get my son's XJ patched up and get back to work on my CJ!

Amrth

Great going with the resurrection. That's a lot of work by one man! I really like the way your garage looks.. Clean and tidy even with the amount of work you are doing in there. How does Emma's heart look like?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great! I like the color[emoji106] can't wait to see how this one turns out

Thanks! I think a truer white like this suits her much better than an off white and I'm real happy with it. :yup:

Love how you make progress on your Emma project! Of course I enjoyed see your pictures contain garage that make me drool. Someday...

Fantastic job! It came out awesome!

She looks so clean now. Great job so far!

Looks Great! She's gonna be a Head Turner....

Another great project. Looking forward to watching the progress. Looks great so far!

Thanks guys. It's funny how much of a slippery a slope it was going from fixing a dent or two to doing a complete makeover :crazyeyes:

Wow, absolutely stunning. Question, is LineX really that expensive by you? Around me, if you brought them a vehicle in that state (no stripping or anything required, ready to spray), they would charge you $175-225 to fully spray the inside of your Jeep, which seems pretty comparable to the amount it would cost in DIY gallons no?

Never priced out LineX being that I know how to spray in a bed liner myself. If it's really only about $200, that's only about a $100 more than to do it yourself and really, not a bad deal at all.

She looks great!!! A lot of work but will be worth every sore finger tip! Nice job.

LOL!! Very sore finger tips and arms and back and, and... :crazyeyes:

Looks damn good wish I had your skill and patience! What did you use to strip it?

For the big panels, I used a Porter Cable random orbit sander. The hard to get to areas I used both a rust/paint remover wheel and various wire wheels on a drill as well as rust remover pads on an air sander. Of course, there were areas where things just needed to be done by hand. :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Emma looks great! nice work!

Great control as well! If it were me I'd be chasing the .."well, I better take care of this since I've come this far" and have it off the frame and a 1year project becomes 5 lol

I've gotten much better but my OCD itches when I do a repair and I feel I need to be taking things further (even though not necessary), I commend you for your restraint! :thumb:

LOL!! It ain't easy especially being that we like to get out and go wheeling so much but fortunately, I really enjoy working on old iron. In fact, once I get going, it's hard for me to stop. :crazyeyes:

Wow, she's gonna be a nice ride when you're done. Every time you post up work being done on your old Jeeps I get the urge to go out and find a nice old Jeep to do this to. But then I see the bodywork part and I get bitch-slapped back to reality! Man, I am just no good at bodywork. :grayno:

Oh man, body work can be a bitch for sure. Unlike installing parts or working on an engine, you can know how to do everything but being able to make your hands do everything right is a different story altogether.

Wow! Emma looks amazing! Even tho it was hard work I'm glad you had fun with it. Makes a project like this so much easier

If it weren't fun, it wouldn't be worth doing. It's hard for me to imagine that people do this for a living.

Holy crap! Great job! I can't wait to see it finished! What a tone of work that must be.... Nice!

Looking great Eddie, cant wait to see it back together.

Would have been a good project either way, but I'm glad to see you taking the time to do it right. Lots of blood, sweat and tears I'm sure.

Great job so far Eddie!!! It nice that you can take the time to do it right, makes you feel good about it later. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, it was a ton of work for sure but a lot of fun :crazyeyes:

That looks amazing! You guys are getting really good at restoring vehicles! First Calamity now Emma! The attention to detail and the amount of work you guys put in it is extremely admirable! I don't think I would have it in me to be able to do all that work. I'm not good at body work. Or at least I don't think and wouldn't want to try on a vehicle like that. Job well done sir and mam!

Well, we're trying. I'd be lying if I said the work we've done is perfect - far from it really but the only way to learn is by doing and the only way to get better is to keep doing it. :yup:

Looking great! I love seeing rare old iron in the hands of someone that takes the time to do things right.
I have sprayed some of the summit brand Urethane in the past too, and was pretty impressed by the quality for the price.

So far, I've been really impressed with all the Summit brand products. I decided to go with them to save some money but man, I've found them to work just as well as the expensive stuff.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ugly sexy. that is a great description! I've always had an eye for the Commando, ever since I had that little powder blue Tonka Commando in my sandbox in the early 70's. Emma is looking incredible. I need to get my son's XJ patched up and get back to work on my CJ!

LOL!! I remember those and actually know someone who still has one. I may need to find me one on ebay just because :D

Great going with the resurrection. That's a lot of work by one man! I really like the way your garage looks.. Clean and tidy even with the amount of work you are doing in there. How does Emma's heart look like?

:cheesy: It's not as clean and tidy as some I know but I try. It's the only way I can keep track of all my stuff and that makes it a lot easier to work on a project like this.

Regarding her heart, it runs nice and strong. I did have a vapor lock issue early on but was able to nip that in the bud. I still have a slight carb issue where it stalls out when accelerating hard from a stop but I think that might be an accelerator pump issue. I'll get back to working on it after I get her put back together again. Otherwise, she runs great.

Very cool. Emma is looking great, can't wait to see her all buttoned up!

This is going to be great i can already tell!

Thanks guys, eager to get her put back together again too :yup:

TerraCrawler 2?!?!?!?!!?

:icon_crazy::beer:

Great work.

LOL!! Nah, nothing quite like that beast. Gonna shoot for a nice factory restore :yup:

JAGS

Hooked
LOL!! Very sore finger tips and arms and back and, and... :crazyeyes:

What???? You mean we aren't getting any younger. My brain says I'm 23, but I'm spent after 3 hours detailing my Jeep. [emoji23][emoji23]

I can't even imagine the meds I'd need after doing that amount of body work!! [emoji33]

fiend

Caught the Bug
Wow. Looks like you have put a lot of work into this. The Jeep looks great! You'll be so happy when it's all done and rolling down the road on a sunny day with the top off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn that looks amazing! When's the video coming???

Unfortunately, there won't be a video for this project. As I had mentioned, time was of the essence and filming typically makes an project 4x longer to do. Sorry.

What???? You mean we aren't getting any younger. My brain says I'm 23, but I'm spent after 3 hours detailing my Jeep. [emoji23][emoji23]

I can't even imagine the meds I'd need after doing that amount of body work!! [emoji33]

LOL!! Getting older does suck.

BTW, I re-read your other question and think I misunderstood you the first time around. There were only 2 coats of paint I had to sand out. A really bad re-paint and the factory Glacier White. The blue you were seeing was a kind of bondo that must have been used for some minor body repair or maybe even from the factory. There were only a few places where I saw it.

Wow. Looks like you have put a lot of work into this. The Jeep looks great! You'll be so happy when it's all done and rolling down the road on a sunny day with the top off.

Oh yeah, looking forward to it for sure. Although we do have a hard top for her and it was on my to do list next, I don't know if I'll ever want to run it. A Jeepster like this was meant to be driven as a convertable. :yup:

Great work! Vintage iron needs this type of lovin'

Thanks! :cool:

vgullotta

Unfortunately, there won't be a video for this project. As I had mentioned, time was of the essence and filming typically makes an project 4x longer to do. Sorry.

Aww damn, no worries, I know that stuff makes it take waaaaaay longer, I just like hearing you narrate it and love restore videos. Oh well, next time =)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Aww damn, no worries, I know that stuff makes it take waaaaaay longer, I just like hearing you narrate it and love restore videos. Oh well, next time =)

LOL!! Well, there will definitely be a next time. I've still got my 3B I want to work on next and that one I do intend to film. Of course, I always have my eye out for old iron that needs adopting :D

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Amazing work Eddie! I can't even begin to imagine how much time you've already put into restoring her. I'm looking forward to seeing your end product. Thank you for sharing!

'07 JKUR

DMF

Man, you're skills in restoring these old irons are a work of art. Is this what you did before Wayalife?

Top Bottom