EVO Bolt-on Coilovers question

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Preload is set by using the top blue rings, the 2 silver rings are used to set when your slider will hit and use the upper spring since we run dual rate springs.

Preload is set by using the top blue rings, the 2 silver rings are used to set when your slider will hit and use the upper spring since we run dual rate springs.

Oh, I get it now. My top blue rings are touching the top, equaling zero preload. So those need to be adjusted down 1" and 1.5" front and rear, while moving the silver rings up at the same time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Oh, I get it now. My top blue rings are touching the top, equaling zero preload. So those need to be adjusted down 1" and 1.5" front and rear, while moving the silver rings up at the same time.

Yes the top blue ring will adjust ride height. The silver ring is the timing ring. When the slider hit it it engages the top spring. The timing rings sound be no more than 3/4" above the slider at ride height

Yes the top blue ring will adjust ride height. The silver ring is the timing ring. When the slider hit it it engages the top spring. The timing rings sound be no more than 3/4" above the slider at ride height

Okay, so I just went out and did some measuring. The front coilovers are at 2.5" each side, while the rears are at 0". I called the shop and they said the reason they didn't preload the rear is because they couldn't without affecting the total ride height, while I understand. However, should the next step then to be lower the front to 1" and give the rears 1.5", rather than just pre-loading the front? Sorry, just learning all this coilover science for the first time here.

Hammmerhead

Okay, so I just went out and did some measuring. The front coilovers are at 2.5" each side, while the rears are at 0". I called the shop and they said the reason they didn't preload the rear is because they couldn't without affecting the total ride height, while I understand. However, should the next step then to be lower the front to 1" and give the rears 1.5", rather than just pre-loading the front? Sorry, just learning all this coilover science for the first time here.

I only have about 3/8" on driver side rear preload and about 3/4" on passenger side rear. Make sure you get the rig level side to side and you may or may not want the front raked if you add too much pre for the rear shocks or (have the rear higher than the front)

ChaosNein

2.5" of pre-load in the FRONT and NONE in the REAR, something is NOT set up correctly.

I only have about 3/8" on driver side rear preload and about 3/4" on passenger side rear. Make sure you get the rig level side to side and you may or may not want the front raked if you add too much pre for the rear shocks or (have the rear higher than the front)

Okay. The front end is sitting at a good height, I do like where it's at...so maybe I don't touch that for now.

So you added very little preload in both rears - so the point I'm taking from this is that there NEEDS to be some king of preload in the rear for best practices basically, around 0.5" atleast? Meaning, it is not good for my rears to have 0 preload correct?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

You clearly are NOT understanding what I am writing so let me use pics for you....

Ride height/preload ring
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473443393.592841.jpg .
This^^^ should have at least 1" of preload for the front and rear. I SUGGEST setting it higher in the rear to compensate for weight.

Timing ring
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473443480.616171.jpg .
This should sit no more than 3/4" above the slider when your jeep is at the desired ride height you want. This engages the upper spring upon jounce (upward travel) of the coilover.

You clearly are NOT understanding what I am writing so let me use pics for you....

Ride height/preload ring
View attachment 221855 .
This^^^ should have at least 1" of preload for the front and rear. I SUGGEST setting it higher in the rear to compensate for weight.

Timing ring
View attachment 221856 .
This should sit no more than 3/4" above the slider when your jeep is at the desired ride height you want. This engages the upper spring upon jounce (upward travel) of the coilover.

Must be the confusion of trying to communicate via keyboard. I did understand after your last post...I'm saying that I have 2.5" preload in the front and 0" in the rear at it stands right now, which obviously is not right. To fix this, should I set the load to 1" up front and 1.5" then?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Must be the confusion of trying to communicate via keyboard. I did understand after your last post...I'm saying that I have 2.5" preload in the front and 0" in the rear at it stands right now, which obviously is not right. To fix this, should I set the load to 1" up front and 1.5" then?

That would be a good starting point and you can adjust from there. Each jeep is different on weight so set it where you like. Also make sure your control arms are loose so the bushings don't bind up at all when your adjusting the coilovers

deezus

Ride height/preload ring
View attachment 221855 .

Timing ring
View attachment 221856 .
Thanks clearly explains coilover setup. Just installed mine and was very confused on what those inner rings do.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Gobicon2017

Also adjust passenger side a little higher to account for the weight of the gas tank. Your gonna have fun adjusting height / changing spring weights, pressure in shocks etc.

Learned a lot myself by reading this thread.

Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

Also adjust passenger side a little higher to account for the weight of the gas tank. Your gonna have fun adjusting height / changing spring weights, pressure in shocks etc.

Learned a lot myself by reading this thread.

Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Well I'm still setting up things and I wanna check my nitrogen levels but... IMG_20180209_183948_686.jpg

deezus

Thanks clearly explains coilover setup. Just installed mine and was very confused on what those inner rings do.

Is the inner rings setting (jounce) for front and back? Thanks

deezus

Ride height/preload ring
View attachment 221855 .

Timing ring
View attachment 221856 .
Is the jounce setting for front and back? Ty

deezus

Both. These pics are the rear tho.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the lower ring moves easy but the upper one doesn't even after plenty of wd40. Mallet and screwdriver......nice and easy. I'm noticing noise coming from coilovers mainly from the rear ones, is that normal? Also thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Gobicon2017

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the lower ring moves easy but the upper one doesn't even after plenty of wd40. Mallet and screwdriver......nice and easy. I'm noticing no ice coming from coilovers mainly from the rear ones, is that normal? Also thanks for the help.

Are you adjusting down. If so there’s an o ring between the timing rings. Need to move the upper ring up and then shimmy the o ring down. Hope that’s the issue. Ice?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom