EVO Coilovers vs. Enforcer what is the...

MTG

Caught the Bug
EVO Enforcer is not getting much love in this thread. Why is that? It's a pretty big $$$ jump from Enf to Coilover, right. Is the performance dif as noticeable as you say WOL, ChrisB etc.

My goal is to get to 37s and maybe some PR44 or beef up my stock Dana 44s on the RU. Not sure the best way to get there as a 10K+ pop all at once is a hard pill to swallow. :crazyeyes:

The Enforcer kit is a great kit and in my opinion, the best around when it comes to standard coil/shock suspension systems. It's all about budget and what people can afford or are willing to spend. It's definitely not for everyone but, if you can afford more and are willing to spend it, a coil over set up is the way to go.

I'll chime in on the Enforcer (if I haven't already in this thread). I absolutely love the way my jeep rides both on and off road! I assumed that when I returned from JKX that I would immediately order up the bolt on coil-overs and sell my EVO plush ride coils and King shocks...I didn't.

I had the chance to ride in GCM 2's jeep while there and have to say that it is truly an amazing set up! The DTD and EVO Lever is the direction I am probably heading (though no time fast given the cost). I have not had the chance to experience the bolt-on coilovers first hand other than following Rubicat on a few runs. However, I have not felt limited with my "plain jane" coils and shocks thus far. ;) Needless to say, until I am convinced that I am missing out on something big, I'll be running the same set up for a while.

Admittedly, part of not switching is because I already have the lift. If I were looking to purchase now (the bolt-ones were not available when I bought my lift), the incremental cost may be worth it to go to the bolt-on coilovers right out of the bat. This is particularily true if you are planning on running expensive shocks like the Kings. At the time I bought the Enforcer kit, I was spending way more than I wanted to originally (think leveling kit with 33s!), but in hindsight the cost difference isn't that much more if you are considering the King 2.5" shocks. However, you you can save quite a bit of money running less expensive shocks and then the price difference is more substantial.

I would be very impressed if a jeep with bolt-on coil-overs and long arms handled that much better than mine, simply because mine drives so well. Of course, I'm happy to be proven wrong. :thumb:

Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Yep MTG, I've seen you comment in other threads, but few others on the enforcer. I'm starting from scratch and keep going back and forth on these two options.

Probably still another 6 months out, so I have time figure things out and SAVE.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yep MTG, I've seen you comment in other threads, but few others on the enforcer.

I'm not sure how many people run it (at least those that are active on the forum). There wasn't hardly anyone talking about it when I was researching lifts. It seems like a lot of people get caught up in the AEV, Teraflex, [insert popular brand X here] ruts. I'm not saying they are bad lifts, but they are just more popular and talked about more often I can honestly say that I had a vendor try to talk me out of the Enforcer kit when I tried to order it. We can speculate as to why, but my guess would be something to do with profit margins. ;) It's a shame more people don't run it. I installed it with Sharkey, neither of us having done it before, and have had nothing but a great experience with it. I cringe when I read about all the problems people have with other brand lifts that cost about the same.

I'm starting from scratch and keep going back and forth on these two options.

Probably still another 6 months out, so I have time figure things out and SAVE.

My advice would be to try to find people that have the two and drive them both (or ride along). If you think you want the coilovers, have the money, and can get the rest of your build done as you want it, I'd probably go for the coilovers and be done with it. Another option would be to run the Enforcer with less expensive shocks (e.g. bilstein 5100s) for a while, build up the rest of your jeep, and then buy the coilovers down the road. You'd already have everything you need and would just be replacing the coils and shocks.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I'm not sure how many people run it (at least those that are active on the forum). There wasn't hardly anyone talking about it when I was researching lifts. It seems like a lot of people get caught up in the AEV, Teraflex, [insert popular brand X here] ruts. I'm not saying they are bad lifts, but they are just more popular and talked about more often I can honestly say that I had a vendor try to talk me out of the Enforcer kit when I tried to order it. We can speculate as to why, but my guess would be something to do with profit margins. ;) It's a shame more people don't run it. I installed it with Sharkey, neither of us having done it before, and have had nothing but a great experience with it. I cringe when I read about all the problems people have with other brand lifts that cost about the same.

My advice would be to try to find people that have the two and drive them both (or ride along). If you think you want the coilovers, have the money, and can get the rest of your build done as you want it, I'd probably go for the coilovers and be done with it. Another option would be to run the Enforcer with less expensive shocks (e.g. bilstein 5100s) for a while, build up the rest of your jeep, and then buy the coilovers down the road. You'd already have everything you need and would just be replacing the coils and shocks.

I'd have to say that looking at the enforcer it's a 4" lift and I figure I have to replace a front drive shaft which cost ??? have no idea. When I price it out it's around $2800+ with the 2" shocks. So by the time I'm done will I be in the hole for like $3500? If EVO had a smaller lift that would allow me the ability to run 35s I'd like that too. I was only looking at Terraflex for the affordability and the ability to stay low at 2.5" and still have 35s without having to replace a bunch of other parts.

I would like to have a nice ride and eventually go long arm but the smaller lift is only about $750... :thinking: :idontknow:

Donny

It's roughly 1800ish between the two if I run Bilstiens.

I admit to being totally tossed by the Enforcer vs. the Coilovers. I can afford to do the coilovers in my build budget and I've stated that I don't want to over build ( meaning I'm not going to be a pro rock climber ) but I don't want to have to keep upgrading. I feel if I buy a 2.5BB and 35' tires that I will "outgrow" that setup pretty quick. If I then go and buy a 3-4" lift kit then I have wasted the $350.00 on the Budget Boost.

With my budget (10k and a little more come March) I can get my rig wrapped in EVO front back and sides, get a 1350 DS, a 3-4" coil lift, wheels and tires 35" (cuz everyone says I'll die with 37's on my D30) and a few other dodads...or I can get coilovers on my stock suspension and wait to buy the EVO carrier and back skins for 6 monthes. Then start saving for a PR44 cuz there is no other way for me to run 37's :)

I admit to being frustrated as well. My wife said "what do you think?" I said "my brain says we are the in for a penny infor a pound types so I'm leaning coilovers" she said "done. Where can we get a cool shifter knob thing?"

Donny

Last edited:

FoxC

keep in mind, that with the coilovers you will still need adjustable front lower control arms and at 3.5"s of lift I would think you'll want the draglink flip to keep your steering geometry correct as well.

I'm sure Evo can and will put a coilover "package" together for you if you want to go straight to the bolt on coilover setup... like a enforcer package minus the standard coils and shocks.

Last edited:

Donny

keep in mind, that with the coilovers you will still need adjustable front lower control arms and at 3.5"s of lift I would think you'll want the draglink flip to keep your steering geometry correct as well.

Ya I just got off the phone with them...It seems with all the "other items" that I'm looking at weeeeeeeeebit more than the basic costs of the kits...I'm gonna have to put pencil to paper and run the desired build sheet against a more practical build sheet then do a coin toss:mad:

Keep in mind I don't think I can lose either way :rock:

Donny

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'd have to say that looking at the enforcer it's a 4" lift and I figure I have to replace a front drive shaft which cost ??? have no idea. When I price it out it's around $2800+ with the 2" shocks. So by the time I'm done will I be in the hole for like $3500? If EVO had a smaller lift that would allow me the ability to run 35s I'd like that too. I was only looking at Terraflex for the affordability and the ability to stay low at 2.5" and still have 35s without having to replace a bunch of other parts.

I would like to have a nice ride and eventually go long arm but the smaller lift is only about $750... :thinking: :idontknow:

I'm not sure if you were asking me something or just making a statement. Regardless...

A front JE Reel 1310 DS will run you about $450.

I thought the Enforcer kit was around $1800 so the King shocks you are looking at must run $1000. Like I said before you can get less expensive shocks to make the kit more affordable. I think the Bilsteins go for about $60-70 each. Still, that is a lot more money than $750, but you are getting a 4" lift that you can run 35s or 37s, and frankly, I don't think there would any comparison in the ride.

As for a smaller lift: I think that EVO makes 3" coils now as well. I do not know if you could then forgo the Draglink flip kit or not. Maybe Chris will jump in?

For the record, I wasn't slamming any other lift or manufacturer, I was simply trying to explain why the Enforcer kit isn't discussed as much on the various forums.

The beauty of owning a jeep is making it yours and they are very capable machines without any lift modifications. I'd recommending keeping it stock and saving up for the build you want. Do it once and do it right! :thumb:

Edit: of course all of this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. ;)

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I'm not sure if you were asking me something or just making a statement. Regardless...

A front JE Reel 1310 DS will run you about $450.

Do it once and do it right! :thumb:

Yeah I guess I didn't really put that in a question format but I was asking. Thanks! Did you have to buy new brake lines or any other things that are attached to the axles/wheels to allow a complete install?

"Do it once and do it right", that puts me on the right line. Good spotting!

The above is a great post! I stopped and went to read it when I saw the link. I definitely have the disorder!

JAGS

Hooked

I'm the only guy I "know" that runs a JK. So I'm trying to get out more with people on the forum and such. Problem is I can't run the same trails as a lot of them (you all) as I'm just stock. The "ride along" thing maybe comes off a little creepy. :idontknow: Not only do I need to learn set ups, but also just general wheeling techniques as I'm only 6 months in to this whole lifestyle.

I'll continue to pick up pointers here and there and hopefully get out more with the larger rigs, if even as a ride along. :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Did you have to buy new brake lines or any other things that are attached to the axles/wheels to allow a complete install?

The lift comes with brake line relocation brackets so you do not have to buy new brake lines. That said, I found it simpler just to replace the lines with a set of Crown brake lines.

"Do it once and do it right", that puts me on the right line. Good spotting!

This will save you money in the long run! :thumb: Ask me how I know. :D
The above is a great post! I stopped and went to read it when I saw the link. I definitely have the disorder!

I think we all do...and it doesn't get any better with time. :rock:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm the only guy I "know" that runs a JK. So I'm trying to get out more with people on the forum and such. Problem is I can't run the same trails as a lot of them (you all) as I'm just stock. The "ride along" thing maybe comes off a little creepy. :idontknow: Not only do I need to learn set ups, but also just general wheeling techniques as I'm only 6 months in to this whole lifestyle.

I'll continue to pick up pointers here and there and hopefully get out more with the larger rigs, if even as a ride along. :yup:

I'm sure So. Cal. is the same way...but with the Vegas guys I've ran most of the runs have bypasses for most of the really hard stuff and stockers come out all the time. You might scrap a little on the bottom but that's what the skids are for. :yup:

I don't think the "ride along" thing is creepy at all. There are always people asking on the forums if someone has an empty seat. It's a jeep thing. :thumb:

I'd recommending keeping it stock and saving up for the build you want. Do it once and do it right! :thumb:

I was in this same spot... Couldn't decide between the EVO enforcer and the bolt-on coilovers. I have some previous Jeep experience and knew that the Enforcer could do the job I needed it to do and at a cheaper cost than the coilovers, but I knew I'd buy coilovers sooner or later for the added benefits. I eventually made the call to do what MTG is suggesting above and, while its been insanely difficult to walk past boxes of King Coilovers every day just sitting there, in the long run it'll be by far more cost effective. The biggest bummer has been not being able to wheel my Jeep, but it has taught me to appreciate different aspects of Jeep ownership such as getting into fishing holes and camping spots most other folks can't go...

After almost 9 months of collecting parts, I'm getting closer to one hell of an install party! :rock:

Good luck with making a decision! Whatever you decide, buy EVO! :D

Dune Crawler

So in your opinion what's better upgrade? Here's my option for my 2dr:
-4" EVO enforcer which I can have by the early summer depending on if I need any DS and maybe air bumps

-bolt on coil over which would be a couple of years (1-2) and run it how Eddie previously stated- I would run it on stock arms with new DS,drag flip. Keep coils in the 3"-3.5" until funds for long arm.

A little background: She sees the beach about 3-5 times a month and sits in the college parking lot or drive way the rest of the time. Running 35 BFG's and might go up to 37's but for now I'll say I'm sticking to 35's.

Life's a beach

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
-4" EVO enforcer which I can have by the early summer depending on if I need any DS and maybe air bumps

-bolt on coil over which would be a couple of years (1-2) and run it how Eddie previously stated- I would run it on stock arms with new DS,drag flip. Keep coils in the 3"-3.5" until funds for long arm.

A little background: She sees the beach about 3-5 times a month and sits in the college parking lot or drive way the rest of the time. Running 35 BFG's and might go up to 37's but for now I'll say I'm sticking to 35's.

Life's a beach

Go with the enforcer. While it isn't recommended, you can run stock shafts for a little while. But you will need to replace both front and rear.

ChaosNein

Life's a beach

If you are looking at running your 35"s for a while, I would go with the 3" ENFORCER with your 2DR you will yield a bit more lift and the 4" coils might have you sitting a bit tall.

Top Bottom