EVO coilovers with mid arms?

rtguy1

Ok that I didn't know. How about the back? I am running the AEV 2.5 kit know which came with the rear track bar and the bracket. Will this work or am I going to have to install a adjustable or change the AEV bracket or both? I hope to be able to set the coilovers for about 3.5 - 4". This is a 2 door if it makes any difference in the set up. Thanks

a new bracket is included in the rear bolt on kit that uses the stock rear trackbar.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I plan on doing the same thing since I dont think I will need the long arm on mine anytime soon. How do the synergy arms compare to Currie? I was looking at any arms that offered the Jonny joints since they are definitely superior. Would any adjustable arms with Jonny Joints do the job fine?

Any arm with Johnny Joints on BOTH ends of the links will do fine. Heck, you could run a link with FK rod ends on both ends that would probably do great too. I would stay away from cheap knock offs though like TF joints as they tend to lack QC and tend to blow out too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do have one more question if I do go with the EVO coilovers and all 8 Currie control arms I want to change out the track bars to adjustables. What track bars would work good with set up? Thanks again

If you get the EVO flip kit u can run your stock front track bar

What Atch said - it's what we're running and really, the factory track bars are a lot better than most of the aftermarket stuff we've run in the past.

SoCalDozer

Any arm with Johnny Joints on BOTH ends of the links will do fine. Heck, you could run a link with FK rod ends on both ends that would probably do great too. I would stay away from cheap knock offs though like TF joints as they tend to lack QC and tend to blow out too.

You mean like make my own links? What are FK rod ends? I assume that is a brand but I have never heard of that.

Jersey_Devil

I'm planning on doing the Evo coilovers also, but I'm getting the Evo Extreme Clearance long arm upgrade kit first, then getting the coilovers, I'm just doing the long arms first cause it's a lil more affordable. I was also wondering about the color on the coilovers, that's great they will change the color for us! I want them in black!

I'm also wondering about the factory track bar/antirock question above.......

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You mean like make my own links? What are FK rod ends? I assume that is a brand but I have never heard of that.

Well, you technically could. Back when I was running a FT long arm kit, I eventually had to replace the sphrical joints on then ends that attach to the frame as they kept blowing out. I had Off Road Evolution install Johnny Joints to replace them but, probably could have installed a set of FK's which are what are on the other end of the link. FK's are massive heims or, what are referred to as rod ends and they work really well too.

You would run factory tracbar over a currie anti-rock?

Just so there's no confusion, a Currie Anti-Rock is a "sway bar" and not a "track bar". I would however run a factory track bar over a currie track bar and I would also run a factory Rubicon e-disco over an Anti-Rock. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm planning on doing the Evo coilovers also, but I'm getting the Evo Extreme Clearance long arm upgrade kit first, then getting the coilovers, I'm just doing the long arms first cause it's a lil more affordable. I was also wondering about the color on the coilovers, that's great they will change the color for us! I want them in black!

Yup, you can get them in a few different colors and black is the most common color other than their blue. You will have to wait a lot longer to get them though.

Please see my answer above :yup:

Holeshot

Banned
Just so there's no confusion, a Currie Anti-Rock is a "sway bar" and not a "track bar". I would however run a factory track bar over a currie track bar and I would also run a factory Rubicon e-disco over an Anti-Rock. :yup:

oops my bad! read too fast I guess.

Jersey_Devil

Duh me! I dunno what I was thinking, I already knew what a antirock is used for, that's why I wanna get the rear antirock cause I'm running evo no limis dico up front.... I'll stick with the factory track bar then.... And I can deal with waiting a lil longer for a quality product! I know Evo won't disappoint me!

rtguy1

i thought the high clearance brackets could ONLY be run with coilovers? I think you will need to go with the regular long arm kit and then upgrade to the high clearance brackets when you are ready for coilovers. I'm sure Wayoflife can clarify this.
I think its expensive to get black, like $800 expensive.

Jersey_Devil

i thought the high clearance brackets could ONLY be run with coilovers? I think you will need to go with the regular long arm kit and then upgrade to the high clearance brackets when you are ready for coilovers. I'm sure Wayoflife can clarify this.
I think its expensive to get black, like $800 expensive.

I already clarified this with him on a thread I started http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2618-Bumpin-up-to-37s and with evo over the phone to make sure the kit will work with my current skyjacker lift, and when I did that there was no plan of coilovers.... And the $ is whatever as long as it's quality I don't mind saving a lil more

rtguy1

hmmm. i read that thread and see no clarification that the high clearance brackets work without coilovers. as far as i know, they do not. i have read several posts from wol and off roads evo stating this over on jk-forum. so we are clear, the longarms used are the same regardless of the suspension setup. it is the rear brackets that are different in the high clearance kit, both at the frame and axle. i think there is confusion here with using their longarms and their high clearance brackets.

here's a quote from chris@offroadevoultion from jk forum clearing this up.

"Let me clear a couple things up on our long arms kits, as this is always confusing.

We have two systems,

The First one is our DD, This is a complete bolt on system. It can be used with Coils and shocks or our new bolt on coilover system
Features:

• EVO1 Adjustors, Full on car adjustability of control arm length, no need to remove control arm to adjust
• Complete Bolt-On Installation, Weld-On if desired, welding will not void warrantee
• No need to remove the gas tank to install
• Proven Currie Johnny Joints
• Ability to retains factory high clearance transmission crossmember
• Optimum Roll Center Correction both front and rear
• Engineered to handle up to a true 14” of Vertical Wheel Travel
• EVO Plush Ride Coil Springs
• Complete with EVO MFG Drag Link Flip Kit, Steering Upgrade
• All Control Arms fully compatable with EVO Ultra High Clearance Long Arm system used with the EVOLever
• Currie Jonny Joints

The High clearance kit long arm kit must be used with coilovers, the new bolt on coilovers, the DTD system or the single EVO Lever system

Added features with the High Clearance kit

• Heavy duty high clearance design
• Full on car adjustability of control arm length, no need to remove control arm to adjust
• All bracket control arm bracketry above frame
• Optimum Roll Center Correction
• Engineered to handle a true 14” of Vertical Wheel Travel

Both system share the same control arms and same front end brackets. If you start off with the DD bolt on long arm system it is easily upgradable to the High clearance long arm system. You will just need to change out the rear frame brackets (weld on). Cut off the rear control arm brackets on the axle and weldon the new high clearance brackets."

rtguy1

let me add.....i do believe that you called evo and all that. i posted the quote so u could see why i am thinking the opposite of you. not trying to argue here or prove u wrong or any of that stuff that gets portrayed incorrectly over the internet.

i'm just curious now since there are so many conflicting statements on this. fyi i am using the high clearance kit in my build, but its getting coilovers as well. :beer:

Jersey_Devil

Now u got me wondering too, cuz I thought when he said I don't need anything else I thought that ment I was good to go.....

Wayoflife.... If u could clear this up for us that would be great.... Thank you in advance

rtguy1

im sure he will chime in. but, as far as i know you can use the full longarm kit minus the rear high clearance bracketry with your current coil/shock lift. remember that the front brackets are the same in both kits. when you do get your coilovers u can upgrade the rear brackets to the high clearance. they will install the high clearance frame brackets and remove the factory mounts on the rear axle for the new high clearance coilover and control arm brackets. i think......:cheesy:

Last edited:

Jersey_Devil

im sure he will chime in. but, as far as i now you can use the full longarm kit minus the rear high clearance bracketry with your current coil/shock lift. remember that the front brackets are the same in both kits. when you do get your coilovers u can upgrade the rear brackets to the high clearance. they will install the high clearance frame brackets and remove the factory mounts on the rear axle for the new high clearance coilover and control arm brackets. i think......:cheesy:

I'll be doing all the work myself but as far as I know I don't need the coilovers with that setup I was just checking their website and wol never said that I needed them on my thread..... In don't see how the hight clearance brackets would make me need coilovers seeing as their under my back doors

EVO-LONGARM-UPGRADE-03.jpg

EVO-LONGARM-UPGRADE-04.jpg

As far as I know it still uses the factory brackets on the axles themselves........ Hmmmm my head is going a million different directions right now lol.... I mean I don't mind buying coilovers first lol and just putting a regular adjustable control arm set till I upgrade..... Either way coilovers and that kit are going on! Thanks for the heads up though! Don't wanna spend 2k and can't use it till I spend 4 more.....

BrandonDetrick

The high clearance long arm system doesn't need to used with coilovers , but the are the best when It comes to handling the mad flex of coilovers

rtguy1

As far as I know it still uses the factory brackets on the axles themselves...

quote from evo site....

With the use of this kit you can now have the ability to remove your low hanging rear control arm bracket completely as we supply a new high clearance bracket which gives 4" of additional ground clearance while maintaining ideal suspension geometry

the point of the kit is to gain clearance at the frame and on the axle. it removes the control arm bracket and the stock shock mount.

pic from evo site showing rear axle shows this modification..

i suppose if u do the work you can make it work. custom fab work makes anything possible.

Top Bottom