EVO Lever Rear Coil Over System

JK's JK

Banned
But you are looking at lifts when you are looking at coilovers and the EVO Lever. They are what provides the lift for your jeep. The reason EVO mfg says the DTD and EVO lever will work with any lift (well almost any), is that the coilovers provide the lift a conventional spring provides, all you need to do is choose the control arms.

DTD history lesson.....EVO didn't invent the system, they just perfected it for JK's!

The "Double Throw Down", or DTD, simply refers to any suspension that is running a Coilover and a second By-Pass shock at each corner. The term originates from within Baja Racing circles. As Strizzy Chris mentioned, RTguy1 couldn't do the EVO Lever on his rig because he did a stretched wheel base on a two door, which pushed the rear axle further back and doesn't allow room for the frame of the EVO Lever to fit. Depending on your budget, you can run EVO mfg's front coilover (weld-on) kits with only a coilover, or with the DTD option. And again, depending on your budget you can run their EVO Lever rear suspension with a coilover or their DTD option.

This is great information. Still trying to understand all the terms and get the right information to buy the right direction. Trying to get the backend upgraded since with my lift there are issues from what I understand. With the lever system it would seem it would accomplish that issue. But I haven't figured out what a stepping stone to that step, so I don't spend much money on springs/shocks since one of my near goals is getting up to a 4.5-5" lift. As many of these guys run into is the flow of money. Just thinking what I want my rig to be 1,2,3 years down the line to not have to re-org my rig.

I'd have to say since I've been on here you'll been super helpful.

Thank you,

Jesse

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
since one of my near goals is getting up to a 4.5-5" lift. Just thinking what I want my rig to be 1,2,3 years down the line to not have to re-org my rig.

the evo dtd is adjustable from 4" to 6.5" of lift. I personally want to keep the center of gravity as low as I can while allowing maximum wheel travel.

and one more thing ... begin with the end in mind so you wont buy parts that dont get you to your final goal.

GCM 2

... begin with the end in mind so you wont buy parts that dont get you to your final goal.

mcpuck is correct here, everyone of us has purchased some part for our vehicles that we wished we could go back in time and not buy. It is going to happen, but you can do damage control to the bank account by not just pulling the trigger on something right out of the 4wd parts or Quadratec catalog based solely off looks and not off of research.
Remember, the EVO Lever (and more so the DTD version) is a serious step up in performance, and that comes at a premium price. To have a really capable rig do you need coilovers, by-pass shocks, ultra-high clearance EVO suspension brackets and the EVO Lever rear set up? Absolutely not. In fact there are many guys on this forum that have super capable rigs, that hit really tough trails and get used as daily drivers because they have been built with reliable parts. Two great examples of rigs that come to mind, JK Ray and MTG, both have jeeps at different stages of builds, but both adding quality parts in a measured approached to the areas of the jeep that need it first. The first time I met JK Ray, he was at Off Road Evolution with basically a bone stock JK and he was having EVO sliders installed. He will never need to upgrade or worry about those sliders, he chose to go top shelf with the best sliders made. Why? Because sliders are the one area you cannot afford to go cheap. He has since made a few more purchases since then and has a great, capable jeep. MTG's rig "Knuckles" is one of my favorite jeeps here. He and Sharkey have been building that thing into a true multipurpose rig that can basically handle any trail. In fact if I was not running my DTD at the front and rear, I would be running the suspension set that MTG currently runs. Check out their builds and follow all the others build's too. Yes, you will notice a metric-shit-ton of EVO stuff on many peoples jeeps on this forum, nothing wrong with that, EVO makes really good stuff. But like many people on here, I have run lots of other manufacturers' suspensions, EVO seems to be the final solution for me for many reasons. The only other upgrade is full on custom race build parts at this point for me. Good luck, start a build thread when you're ready and keep asking questions. There are no stupid questions.....unless you are asking "will 33" tires fit with no lift and flat fenders?" or "what's more capable, 2 door or 4 door jeeps?" or "will my interior dome light stay on if I run with no doors?" Then those are mostly kind of dumb questions.

Cannot agree more with what you just stated. If I had know then what I know now I would have saved my money and put it towards an EVO suspension. With all that being said I am saving my pennies for an EVO Enforcer or the Double D. Would like to lean towards the Double D but SWMBO and the controller of money may not agree to it. Still working it.

RockyJk

Cannot agree more with what you just stated. If I had know then what I know now I would have saved my money and put it towards an EVO suspension. With all that being said I am saving my pennies for an EVO Enforcer or the Double D. Would like to lean towards the Double D but SWMBO and the controller of money may not agree to it. Still working it.

Can't go wrong with either! :thumbup: I'm aiming for an Evo stretch kit ;)

RubiconJohn

Thanks for the Info

Great thread!!!!

I'm in the reserch phase for my suspension upgrades and I was eyeing up the EVO lever and double throw down system.

I had seveal questions about them but most of them have now been answered, Thanks!!!

Time to call EVO and place an order!!!!

John :yup:

dahreno

Banned
I wonder if they can make the EVO lever for another vehicle other then a JK ? Or if it would be easy to modify

GCM 2

Hey overlander Jk , why do you post more pics. of my Jeep then I do ? Obsessed ? or jealous !

It took three restraining orders to get him to back off from stalking me. I have to admit, I miss having OverlanderJK follow sometimes ;)

ZuidJK

Very close to pulling the trigger on the evolever just have a few questions; ive read that you have to do exhaust modifications and obviously the lever takes the spot of the muffler behind the axle so would that require a new exhaust system as well?? or is trimming an option??
Another question was what would i do for bumpstops? right now im running 3.5 inches lift and just extended them but how would you do that for the lever? any advice much appreciated..

Atch

Very close to pulling the trigger on the evolever just have a few questions; ive read that you have to do exhaust modifications and obviously the lever takes the spot of the muffler behind the axle so would that require a new exhaust system as well?? or is trimming an option??
Another question was what would i do for bumpstops? right now im running 3.5 inches lift and just extended them but how would you do that for the lever? any advice much appreciated..

Most run king air bumps with the EVO lever.

yes a new exhaust is needed like the DynoMax EVO Comp. as for bump stops, evo makes rear Rock Stops with KING air bumps that are "frenched" into the frame.

andrew-

silverbackjk

Well I guess your correct in the way it's set up (Pic below on what I was thinking. Trying to understand the benefits from a Horizontal compared to a vertical. Then a 4 link set up or this system make it a 4 link?

View attachment 47146

I would stay away from a setup like this. If that truss/bracket on the axle breaks your in deep shit. This setup is vey close to a 3 link it.

GCM 2

....Another question was what would i do for bumpstops? right now im running 3.5 inches lift and just extended them but how would you do that for the lever? any advice much appreciated..

If you run only the coilover on the rear EVOLever set up, King bump stops are nice, but not necessary. See the pic below of the almost stock white polyurethane bumpstops on the back of Moby from years ago. Because I run the Double Throw Down version of the EVOLever, I am using my three tube by-pass shocks (or triple by-pass) as my bumpstops. I have the third stage set to act like the King Bump stops would and I also still have the same white polyurethane bumpstops back there too.

View attachment 47400

If you run only the coilover on the rear EVOLever set up, King bump stops are nice, but not necessary. See the pic below of the almost stock white polyurethane bumpstops on the back of Moby from years ago. Because I run the Double Throw Down version of the EVOLever, I am using my three tube by-pass shocks (or triple by-pass) as my bumpstops. I have the third stage set to act like the King Bump stops would and I also still have the same white polyurethane bumpstops back there too.

View attachment 47400

or this ^^^^

andrew-

Top Bottom