EVO or Rock Hard 4x4 Skids

CCTX50

Any issues with over heating due to placing skid near the exhaust loop when using EVO Skids? Rock Hard say their skid does not cover loop due to excessive heat?

RHuckster

I'm installing the Rock hard Aluminum skid system this week.

Rick
P2110006a_zpse3727165.jpg

hornet man

View attachment 125096 i just installed oil pan & tyranny skid, I need to trim the stock transfer skid for the 2 bolts that attach to cross over support. Not a big deal, like the skid As it has a big opening to access the oil drain plug. Really like this skid and glad it doesn't attach to the pan as some skids do.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
View attachment 125096 i just installed oil pan & tyranny skid, I need to trim the stock transfer skid for the 2 bolts that attach to cross over support. Not a big deal, like the skid As it has a big opening to access the oil drain plug. Really like this skid and glad it doesn't attach to the pan as some skids do.

Welcome to the forum, what's wrong with a skid attached to the pan?

hornet man

Just what no road said. My preference if I take a hit would rather it be from skid attached to motor mount brackets then direct to the engine oil pan. If you have one that attaches to the oil pan that is your preference, I was going to go with an EVO that mounted to pan but was received through UPS with a corner cracked so I sent it back and decided to go with the Rock Hard, glad I did no complaints with this protection!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I have no skids at all. I've never hit my engine pan. Of course I've never had the jeep on anything harder than the JKX.

IMO get the higher clearance skids and learn how to place your tires to not take a hit.

noroad

I have no skids at all. I've never hit my engine pan. Of course I've never had the jeep on anything harder than the JKX.

IMO get the higher clearance skids and learn how to place your tires to not take a hit.

I guess it depends on the location and i understand JKX is hard, but for me we have tons of lose rocks and rock gardens that are supper unpredictable, also tree stumps that seem to just always be in the wrong location. I do agree that if you have good tire placement there will be a very small chance of hitting it, but i have seen a couple oil pains hit hard out here from rocks giving way.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Just what no road said. My preference if I take a hit would rather it be from skid attached to motor mount brackets then direct to the engine oil pan. If you have one that attaches to the oil pan that is your preference, I was going to go with an EVO that mounted to pan but was received through UPS with a corner cracked so I sent it back and decided to go with the Rock Hard, glad I did no complaints with this protection!

Interesting, I've haven't or heard of anyone have issues with the evo or Rancho oil pan skids. To each their own.

jkbarnett

I have the Rock Hard engine skid. I plan on upgrading to a PR44 and want to know if anyone is running this combo? Concerned with clearance of the skid and pumpkin. I have the older model skid and oil changes are a pain, other than that I've been happy with it.

I have the Rock Hard engine skid. I plan on upgrading to a PR44 and want to know if anyone is running this combo? Concerned with clearance of the skid and pumpkin. I have the older model skid and oil changes are a pain, other than that I've been happy with it.
You'll be perfectly fine in the front, on the back if running our fuel tank skid plate you may need to trim a hair off the inner back corner to clear the larger differential.

TheStick

Questions for you Rock Hard. I still get a little contact between my exhaust and the skid. I am already using the supplied spacer, what is the easiest fix? Also, I remember it coming up a while back that with the new design of the door for the drain plug access, that this bolt would be replaced with the ones that are protected, did this ever happen?

Thanks

Questions for you Rock Hard. I still get a little contact between my exhaust and the skid. I am already using the supplied spacer, what is the easiest fix? Also, I remember it coming up a while back that with the new design of the door for the drain plug access, that this bolt would be replaced with the ones that are protected, did this ever happen?

Thanks
The easiest solution is for us to ship you an additional shim. PM me your mailing address and I'll get one out the door right away. I'll also include the smaller rock dome protector and bolt for the oil change door.

Now is that the easiest warranty process or what? :beer:

Last edited:

TheStick

The easiest solution is for us to ship you an additional shim. PM me your mailing address and I'll get one out the door right away. I'll also include the smaller rock dome protector and bolt for the oil change door.

Now is that the easiest warranty process or what? :beer:

PM sent. You guys rock!!! :rock:

EZ-E

I've got the Evo Protek skid system. Works well, has a few dents from hard hits, specifically where they cut out the Evo logo, but nothing major. No overheating problems. Maybe one day I'll be as good at wheeling as piginajeep and won't need any. Til then, I'll stick with the skids.

CRZRTX

I think skids on a JKU are necessary if you are going to rock crawl. I have both EVO and Rock Hard. I started out with the EVO Protek system with the engine, transmission, and cross member skids. When I installed a long arm lift, I lost the cross member skid since it was in the way. I still have the EVO engine and transmission skids and think they are great.

From Rock Hard, I have the gas tank skid (highly recommend), the evap skid, and the transfer case skid. They are well built and worth the money. Mine have deep gouges in them from many off road excursions on the rocks. I didn't put the gas tank skid on until the stock one was heavily damaged. I thought the stock one would suffice, but it didn't.

Top Bottom