EVO or Rock Hard 4x4 Skids

Calys003

I'm going to go with the rock hard skid because you can buy it in sections and it doesn't bolt to the engine

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I'm going to go with the rock hard skid because you can buy it in sections and it doesn't bolt to the engine

Maybe you can help me, have you heard of any issues with an oil pan skid bolted to the engine? or are we just dealing with a hypothetical situation and opinions?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it depends on the location and i understand JKX is hard, but for me we have tons of lose rocks and rock gardens that are supper unpredictable, also tree stumps that seem to just always be in the wrong location. I do agree that if you have good tire placement there will be a very small chance of hitting it, but i have seen a couple oil pains hit hard out here from rocks giving way.

eh, I hear this all the time from east coast guys but you're kidding yourself if you really think there aren't a ton of lose rocks and rock gardens that are super unpredictable out here in the west. You can just as easily hit your oil pan here as you can anywhere. Good spotting, listening to your spotter, picking good lines, taking your time and thinking things through can go a long way.

I think skids on a JKU are necessary if you are going to rock crawl.

Really? Guess I never rock crawl. :idontknow:

I didn't put the gas tank skid on until the stock one was heavily damaged. I thought the stock one would suffice, but it didn't.

Exactly how did your factory gas tank skid fail? Maybe it's just me being the mall crawler that I am but, I've never seen or heard of one damaged to the point where it needed to be replaced.

Good spotting, listening to your spotter, picking good lines, taking your time and thinking things through can go a long way.
So undeniably true.

Maybe you can help me, have you heard of any issues with an oil pan skid bolted to the engine? or are we just dealing with a hypothetical situation and opinions?

Best way to answer that question is with another:
When lifting your Jeep with a floor jack, would you lift from your oil pan or frame?

It's a matter of what you want to support the weight of your Jeep with - something designed to support a vehicle, or something with moving parts, holds fluid, and naturally must vibrate/move under load.

Last edited:

olram30

So undeniably true.

Best way to answer that question is with another:
When lifting your Jeep with a floor jack, would you lift from your oil pan or frame?

It's a matter of what you want to support the weight of your Jeep with - something designed to support a vehicle, or something with moving parts, holds fluid, and naturally must vibrate/move under load.

Reminds me of the old "shock boot or no shock boot" debate. I was just curious if anyone has actually heard of issues from oil pan skids.

Well, none of that is to say that you can't still hit your oil pan but the above does go a long way.

Personally, I prefer from the axle :crazyeyes: :D
HAHA - yes yes, better yet, someone needs to design one of these for off road duty:

b0000e_efa3966ebbb3435b92b0fccd81d5dfdf.jpg_srz_941_584_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
HAHA - yes yes, better yet, someone needs to design one of these for off road duty:

Too funny!!

Well, if you guys offered an engine skid that would work with our LS, I'd probably pick one up just so that I wouldn't have to be so careful at the mall.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

CRZRTX

wayoflife said:
Really? Guess I never rock crawl. :idontknow:

Eddie, you are the rock crawling king. I hold your opinion and insight in high regard. We just do different kinds of trails. It would help if I had 40s too.

Exactly how did your factory gas tank skid fail? Maybe it's just me being the mall crawler that I am but, I've never seen or heard of one damaged to the point where it needed to be replaced.

In Central Texas we have a lot of ledges that we go off of (up and down) These play havoc on JKUs due to their long wheel base. 144_1467.jpg

olram30

I just did a custom clearance job on my gas tank skid. No problems yet. If it ever falls off I'll look into a skid.

Attachments

• 1424376470702.jpg
    1424376470702.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In Central Texas we have a lot of ledges that we go off of (up and down) These play havoc on JKUs due to their long wheel base.

Yeah, out in California, Arizona and Nevada, we just have small speed bumps you drive over so I would have no idea what you're talking about. You can see what I'm talking about if you start watching from about 0:46 into this video...

In all, I think I only kissed the pointy speed bump with all 6500 lbs. of my Jeep about 3 times - twice hard enough to rattle my teeth.

Having said all that, you still haven't said exactly how your factory gas tank skid failed. :thinking:

Top Bottom