Evo plush or coilovers?

utiadam

LOSER
Just an FYI, your timing rings look a bit off. They should be a lot lower/closer to the collar separating your two coils.

Thanks Eddie. I really haven't adjusted them at all yet. Do you have recommendations on where to set them? Like 1" above the sliders?

Edit: I'm assuming you're talking about the front? Do the rear look ok?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. I really haven't adjusted them at all yet. Do you have recommendations on where to set them? Like 1" above the sliders?

Edit: I'm assuming you're talking about the front? Do the rear look ok?

You want your timing rings set about an inch or so above the collar on both the front and rears. Basically, you want the lower springs to kick in sooner. Otherwise, you'll just be running around on the softer coils.

I do remember you talking with someone else about that need. (2013Rubirick or crippledpete). It was about $100 plus shipping, per coil over and you normally get them done about once a year, correct? I don't foresee a problem with my Jeep being up on jack stands for a week or so. Plus I know the time frame for me will be a lot longer as I don't drive fast.

Just as an fyi I've gone about 35-40k on mine in about 1.5 years. The cost is about $120 per shock (DTD) depending on extras for repairs if needed. The lead time changes based on how busy they are. King told me to plan for 2-3 weeks.

I will be doing mine in mid/late April.

HeadShrinkerMD

Just as an fyi I've gone about 35-40k on mine in about 1.5 years. The cost is about $120 per shock (DTD) depending on extras for repairs if needed. The lead time changes based on how busy they are. King told me to plan for 2-3 weeks.

Yikes, 2-3 weeks is a serious amount of downtime for a daily driver. Might be enough of a reason for me to just go with the enforcer.

Yikes, 2-3 weeks is a serious amount of downtime for a daily driver. Might be enough of a reason for me to just go with the enforcer.

Well depending on where you're shipping from that is 3-5 days (I'm lucky I'm close) then a week there and shipping back. It's not unreasonable. Not trying to stop you from getting them but you must be aware of everything involved. :thumb:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Hmmm 2-3 weeks might be a little bit tougher to do, but not impossible. You definitely drive way more than I do. First year of owning it and I'm at 14k with an odd 2k round trip drive to FL, so really I'll probably keep an annual average of about 13k. I think that before I head down this path any further I need to find someone with the EVO bolt on coil overs and ride in their JK. Thank you very much for the info.

utiadam

LOSER
You want your timing rings set about an inch or so above the collar on both the front and rears. Basically, you want the lower springs to kick in sooner. Otherwise, you'll just be running around on the softer coils.

Cool, I'll adjust them tonight. Will I be able to feel a difference?

sparkymoffett

With all of these options.... plush vs co.
would i possibly be better off just going with the king 2.5 with the adjusters?
im currently running the 3 in plush with bilstein 5160s.
id definitely like a softer ride

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

same applies to king 2.5 shocks, but you could always save your old ones while they are getting serviced.

JAGS

Hooked

I've yet, at least in the nearly three years I've owned a jeep and been around this forum, seen anybody negatively comment on the Enforcer paired with the king 2.5s.

This and getting feedback and input from folks like MTG, WOL and GCM2 on lift needs had me choosing the Enforcer when it finally came time. I've put 17k miles on it now and still very happy with it. Does great as a daily and is quick enough for my comfort off road.

Now, this is not to say people don't upgrade to a DTD, but, the Enforcer and King 2.5 is an awesome set up for most people, most of the time. Really just depends on how you honestly plan to wheel/use the Jeep and how much money you want to invest.

sparkymoffett

Great info Jags. I think i'll go for the 2.5's with the clicker then
Definitely not going DTD. I just know my needs.
I'm only running partial enforcer. I just have the springs.
The rest of the gear is Synergy, flip kit, track bar, tie rod, etc.

JAGS

Hooked
same applies to king 2.5 shocks, but you could always save your old ones while they are getting serviced.

oh dang. good to know!

I think this would apply to most shocks...no? Just that other shocks aren't worth "rebuilding" as are the kings because of quality. I'm just thinking that all shocks would have somewhat of a lifespan based on wear and abuse. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Not worth rebuilding a $100 shock. Just replace.

Great info Jags. I think i'll go for the 2.5's with the clicker then
Definitely not going DTD. I just know my needs.
I'm only running partial enforcer. I just have the springs.
The rest of the gear is Synergy, flip kit, track bar, tie rod, etc.

Order what you need through Drew. He'll be able to help get everything dialed in for you. You can also talk to him about bolt ons before you pull the trigger. Honestly can't beat the customer service and knowledge coming out of EVO/ORE. Might have something to do with ownership.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I think this would apply to most shocks...no? Just that other shocks aren't worth "rebuilding" as are the kings because of quality. I'm just thinking that all shocks would have somewhat of a lifespan based on wear and abuse. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Not worth rebuilding a $100 shock. Just replace. .

with coil overs, your jeep is sitting on jack stands until you get your shocks back. king shocks like yours he can send them off if they ever need serviced and put on his old ones and still use his jeep. just like MTG did with his rancho shocks while his kings were getting fixed. just saying if a persons jeep is his only vehicle.

JAGS

Hooked
with coil overs, your jeep is sitting on jack stands until you get your shocks back. king shocks like yours he can send them off if they ever need serviced and put on his old ones and still use his jeep. just like MTG did with his rancho shocks while his kings were getting fixed. just saying if a persons jeep is his only vehicle.

Oh yeah. Got ya. That too. With COs you have no coils when they are getting rebuilt. Can't drive like that. :eek:

What I was saying though too is that all shocks will have a lifetime of use/abuse. :thinking: Some you would re-build. Other shocks might just want to replace. My thoughts...not sure if fact.

Ronstar83

What's the load range on your tires, air pressure?

I keep it between 28-30 PSI which isn't being that it's been to the dealer so much.. They always sneak in about 38 PSI and I have to air down.. They are 35" Nitto Exo Grapplers btw.. The Jury is still out on them. They were the first set in Portland apparently. I watched Nitto's website and ordered them the day they became available. They are a bit louder than I thought they would be but not a big deal.. Got them because they were seemingly a perfect mix between the Terra Grappler which were not aggressive enough on my 08 and the Trail Grapplers which I loved. The Exo's seem to be as loud as the Trail Grappler which isn't that bad IMO but I got them for the rain/snow performance and the aggressive sidewall.

Now I'm interested in the Kings vs Fox shocks though. I've heard nothing but great things for the enforcer kit with plush ride so maybe it is the Fox shocks. Sometimes it drives exceptionally and others it drives like a Tacoma pickup.. I haven't had enough wheel time really to tweak anything nor the desire since I won't have it much longer :naw:

Last edited:
Top Bottom