Exploring the Middle of Nowhere Nevada in Renny - Our 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
My inlaws just bought the trail hawk in anvil!! They love it. Thanks for your awesome write up. It was a big help in them making the decision.

spinuck

Thanks for sharing.

On the renegade, can you take off or trim the plastic flares to allow for bigger tires with no lift? Then maybe you can trim the lower part of the bumper under the fog lights and tow hooks? i wonder if companies do make aftermarket parts, if they'll mostly be available in aluminum to save weight.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Looks like Renny did fairly well on the trail. It'll be interesting to see how the aftermarket reacts if sufficient numbers are sold (that's almost a lock). I always thought the Rocky Mtn. hardrock miners had a beyond tough working environment, but after living in AZ for 35yrs. and seeing this excellent photo essay I might have to change my mind. After all, having to go to a two-holer outhouse to get the mail and/or spending the night in a steel cell in the summer Nevada sun after a night of gettin' liquored up was TOUGH.:yup:

Spaulding

Great write up, Eddie. Really like the industrial archeology.

The wifey is gonna be in the market for a small SUV for her DD in a year or so. Looks like another to add to the list.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
what an awesome trip!
ive been wanting to make a trip to the Mizpah hotel and stay the night. would be interesting 😉

Skid_Kid

Great write up Eddie! Loved the pics and to actually see what Renny was capable of. In the location not be named... Is that an old aircraft hanger?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome trip! I would love to do something like that with my wife one day soon. Thank you.

Glad you liked it and I think you and your wife would really enjoy something like this.

Time to replace bumper. Get trail jeeps or Evo to make custom one that others might like as well. Call it the renny special.

LOL!! I wish but I don't think they'd have any interest in making anything for the Renegade and really, it's a shame. If anyone, I'd bet that ARB might dabble with something.

Awesome report I'm glad to see people use jeeps for what they were meant for. And as for the dent in the bumper well bumpers were made to be bumped or they would not be called bumpers. And scratches down the side we here in Oregon refer to them as eastern Oregon pen stripping. Awesome stuff!

You got that right. Wouldn't have bought our Renegade if we weren't planning on using it. :yup:

Wow, inspired to say the least. This is such a cool country and world for that matter. It's easy to forget and hard to believe what people did to build what we take for granted today. Thank you guys for giving us a platform/guideline to document our travels by. Looking forward to the future  "CARPE DIEM"

It really is crazy to think about and love that you can still see evidence of what life was like for these people.

What a great adventure in your new Ride! Awesome pictures! You bring breaking in a new vehicle to a whole new level.

LOL!! Well, truth be told, I would have preferred not to do any "breaking" per se but, it does come with the territory :crazyeyes:

TheStick

Really enjoyed reading this. You have to be the first to really put one through it's paces like this, well done! :thumb:

On another note, living on the Cali side of Hwy 50, I really want to take a trip out East through the desert soon. I might have to hit you up through PM to get some ideas :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
GREAT pictures and writeup. Wonder if the Renny will get the aftermarket support it needs for people to customize it and make it more off-road compliant...

I have no doubts that the Jeep Renegade will be a HUGE hit globally and I'm hopeful that it will do well here in America as well. I have little doubt that there will be aftermarket companies overseas who will make products for it but based on my conversations with the manufacturers I know here in the U.S., I think it'll be a while before any of them warm up to the idea of making anything. For our purposes, we're already looking for ways to help Renny along. :yup:

Looks like an awesome trip, would love to do something like that someday if I can bring the jeep out west with me.

I think you'd really like it out here!

My inlaws just bought the trail hawk in anvil!! They love it. Thanks for your awesome write up. It was a big help in them making the decision.

No way, that's so cool! Glad to hear we've been able to help :cool:

Thanks for sharing.

On the renegade, can you take off or trim the plastic flares to allow for bigger tires with no lift? Then maybe you can trim the lower part of the bumper under the fog lights and tow hooks? i wonder if companies do make aftermarket parts, if they'll mostly be available in aluminum to save weight.

Unfortunately, you could do a bit of trimming up front but not really in the rear as you're right at sheet metal behind the trim there. I think a small lift is really the solution for slightly bigger tires. As far as bumpers go, stamped steel would work well for me but, not everyone can do that. Aluminum would be a great option too. But really, what I really want more than bumpers is rocker guards.

Looks like Renny did fairly well on the trail. It'll be interesting to see how the aftermarket reacts if sufficient numbers are sold (that's almost a lock). I always thought the Rocky Mtn. hardrock miners had a beyond tough working environment, but after living in AZ for 35yrs. and seeing this excellent photo essay I might have to change my mind. After all, having to go to a two-holer outhouse to get the mail and/or spending the night in a steel cell in the summer Nevada sun after a night of gettin' liquored up was TOUGH.:yup:

LOL!! I'm sure the "steel" cells were no accident. Today, it might be considered cruel and unusual punishment but, I have a feeling it was a pretty good deterrent :crazyeyes:

Great write up, Eddie. Really like the industrial archeology.

The wifey is gonna be in the market for a small SUV for her DD in a year or so. Looks like another to add to the list.

Thanks! I think these Jeep Renegades do make great DD's and with the perk of being able to do some light wheeling too :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
what an awesome trip!
ive been wanting to make a trip to the Mizpah hotel and stay the night. would be interesting 

If you do make it out to the Mizpah, be sure to try and get the Lady in Red or Wagon Wheel room :thumb:

I bet Renny is the dirtiest Renegade in America. This was a cool trip. Thanks for sharing Eddie.

LOL!! I hope so. :D

Great write up Eddie! Loved the pics and to actually see what Renny was capable of. In the location not be named... Is that an old aircraft hanger?

Yup, it was an old WWII hanger.

Looks like the lil toaster is pretty awesome!

We think so. :yup:

Really enjoyed reading this. You have to be the first to really put one through it's paces like this, well done! :thumb:

On another note, living on the Cali side of Hwy 50, I really want to take a trip out East through the desert soon. I might have to hit you up through PM to get some ideas :D

It's be well worth the trip in my opinion. You should join us for some of our trail runs we do too.

getoverit

Thanks so much for the history lesson and awesome pictures! Your eye for framing a picture rivals that of professionals. You are becoming some of Nevada's best historians and this forum allows you to share our great state with people all over the world that would otherwise think mostly of the Las Vegas strip when thinking of Nevada. Also really enjoyed the comprehensive write-up about Renny! Another job well done Eddie and Cindy!

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Eddie the Cindy the trip looks awesome love the pics :thumb:

It looks Renny had fun too even with a few scars that gives character :yup:

Great job on the story can't wait to see how Renny progresses in the years to come :shock:

Rmorin222

Huge thank you for stepping up for the toaster jeep. I am looking for a in town and highway vehicle but still wanted the jeep badge, and have the capability on the icy roads we get in the winter. My JKU just rolled over 100K miles and I would like to see more offroad miles and less on road miles...... If you catch my drift.

999EVO

Thank you for the Excellent write up. Really keeps up the motivation to explore this awesome country!

... and to try out new 'commuter-type' technology. Really wouldn't have expected that of the Renegade, other than an official magazine car test. So great to hear and see that the capability has actually been put to use.

Top Bottom