Fishing Jeepers...Post Up Your Pics

wjtstudios

Hooked
Nice...just got back from three days in Stehekin Valley fishing the river...epic last day of fishing Wednesday, including my biggest cutthroat at 20” and fat, about five lbs...a pair of 20” rainbows, several 17-18” bows & cutts. All told over 2 1/2 days of fishing, 15 bows and 25 cutties, mostly on my 8’ 4wt Winston Pure swinging double bead head soft hackles

Sounds like a dream trip. Congrats on the 20” cutthroat!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Brute

Hooked
Those pictures are amazing, unreal trip

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I wish I could have gone in 4-5 weeks from now when the Kokanee are in the river spawning, but I’ll be on the Dusy Ershim caching small brookies for the pan...next year I’m going to block out the 2nd week of Sept to fish it. I threw a double dry on a 5wt to a small pool on a pour over from the main river in a small side channel (instigator/16 bwo) and caught 5 15” cutties on ten casts...about as much fun as you can have.

Lmk when you are coming up next year...

wjtstudios

Hooked
Someday, May be in a couple years, but I will get up there.

There’s nothing more exciting than finding a pool like that with active fish. What a day that had to be.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

So I ended up getting the Orvis 9’-5wt Clearwater setup.... and Rebuilt my fishing pack with all the fly necessities... I have been practicing in my backyard and can already tell Fly fishing is for me compared to a spinner... but here is my problem... Good streams are 4-5 hours from me... I’m just not into shore fishing the overcrowded small lakes around here and I’m not into sitting in a small boat. However, what I do have here is miles of awesome beaches right in my backyard. I can pack a couple beers, throw on some flip flops and be casting in 20 min...

So I want to buy another rod for surf fishin... What do you guys suggest.. 9’ - 9wt? What size line, leader & tippet do I need? Larger Flies? Thx.

[emoji106][emoji106]
Now we are talking. As much as I love trout fishing its just not as accessible for me like it used to be. Like you though the beach is 15 minutes away and a blast to fish.
I mainly target striper and surf perch and I like single handers. My beach setups are 9’ 8wt.
For central coast fishing presentation doesn’t need to be delicate so I usually go straight 25lb mono for 6ish feet from a very weight forward fast sinking line. Key is to get the fly down fast in the zone before it gets tumbled in the next wave cycle.

Nice blurry older photo for Overlander. lol
IMG_3913.jpg .

Nice...just got back from three days in Stehekin Valley fishing the river...epic last day of fishing Wednesday, including my biggest cutthroat at 20” and fat, about five lbs...a pair of 20” rainbows, several 17-18” bows & cutts. All told over 2 1/2 days of fishing, 15 bows and 25 cutties, mostly on my 8’ 4wt Winston Pure swinging double bead head soft hackles

Sounds like a blast! Great pictures.

TrailHunter

Hooked
[emoji106][emoji106]
Now we are talking. As much as I love trout fishing its just not as accessible for me like it used to be. Like you though the beach is 15 minutes away and a blast to fish.
I mainly target striper and surf perch and I like single handers. My beach setups are 9’ 8wt.
For central coast fishing presentation doesn’t need to be delicate so I usually go straight 25lb mono for 6ish feet from a very weight forward fast sinking line. Key is to get the fly down fast in the zone before it gets tumbled in the next wave cycle.

View attachment 351930 .

Got it! [emoji481]

Brute

Hooked
[emoji106][emoji106]

View attachment 351930 .

I'm thinking about an 8 wt as well...bonefish in the Caribbean/Christmas Island & Atlantic salmon/sea run browns in Iceland...

TrailHunter

Hooked
Well, this escalated faster than expected... I now have a setup for Stream Trout and for fishing the Surf... Turns out there is an Orvis store near me... which is probably a bad thing.

Hit the beach this morning at 6:30 and fished for a couple hours... didn’t catch shit, and had no clue what I was doing... but it was fun.

Adjustments.jpg

Well, this escalated faster than expected... I now have a setup for Stream Trout and for fishing the Surf... Turns out there is an Orvis store near me... which is probably a bad thing.

Hit the beach this morning at 6:30 and fished for a couple hours... didn’t catch shit, and had no clue what I was doing... but it was fun.

View attachment 352011

Haha
Awesome dude! Keep at it. Looks a bit goofy but a stripping basket in the surf makes things a lot easier.

wjtstudios

Hooked

View attachment 352011

It’s hard to explain over a post, but when I teach people there are two easy principles.

1, think of swinging a hammer. Your arm comes down and forward at and angle with your wrist locked. At the very end of the motion you rotate your wrist towards the target. Do it in reverse on the back cast.

2, it’s all about patience. You have to wait for the fly line to load the rod on the forward and back cast. It depends on the length of line out, but it could be a 1 or 2 second count.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
It’s hard to explain over a post, but when I teach people there are two easy principles.

1, think of swinging a hammer. Your arm comes down and forward at and angle with your wrist locked. At the very end of the motion you rotate your wrist towards the target. Do it in reverse on the back cast.

2, it’s all about patience. You have to wait for the fly line to load the rod on the forward and back cast. It depends on the length of line out, but it could be a 1 or 2 second count.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Well I swing hammers for a living so you'd think it would be easy... Lol... I think I was a little thrown off being that my first time ever casting in water, was in crashing waves using a fast sinking line.... Once I get into a rhythm with holding the extra line in my left hand while casting with my right... it should get better. I knew It would be awkward my first time out.... just need more practice. Casting in my backyard definitely gave me a false sense of reality.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Well I swing hammers for a living so you'd think it would be easy... Lol... I think I was a little thrown off being that my first time ever casting in water, was in crashing waves using a fast sinking line.... Once I get into a rhythm with holding the extra line in my left hand while casting with my right... it should get better. I knew It would be awkward my first time out.... just need more practice. Casting in my backyard definitely gave me a false sense of reality.

For sure, and waves add a while different level!

Stick with it, you’ll get it pretty quick.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
Haha
Awesome dude! Keep at it. Looks a bit goofy but a stripping basket in the surf makes things a lot easier.

The guy hard sold me on one... and I bought it to shut him up... but I refuse to wear it.... I have an image to uphold... LOL... honestly the line at my feet was the least of my problems. I stood in very shallow water and timed my casting to avoid the waves. Maybe I'll try it... but doubtful. :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King

When I first started, my kit came with a vhs tape (Google it if you don't know what that is). I'd imagine there are plenty of tips and tricks on YouTube nowadays.

The guy hard sold me on one... and I bought it to shut him up... but I refuse to wear it.... I have an image to uphold... LOL... honestly the line at my feet was the least of my problems. I stood in very shallow water and timed my casting to avoid the waves. Maybe I'll try it... but doubtful. :crazyeyes:

That’s so funny. I totally get it.

You should see the looks I get when I get in my wet suit so I can get chest/neck deep.
The shit we do just to fish. lol

Top Bottom