Ford Truck - Which Motor?

Lojo

This is what I’m seeing in my research as well... I’m not trusting the Ecoboost BS. As far as an older truck... shit, I’d love to have a 90’s chevy again... but I dont want to wrench on it, I want good mpg, some modern comforts and I need it to take me & the fam on long trips if needed. I want my work truck to be extremely dependable so I can dedicate my spare time to wrenching on the Jeep. What were you thinking?

You’re not helping.. lol. If I was getting a diesel 4x4, without a doubt.. Dodge. I was going to pull the trigger on a 2500 Ram, but I chose a Jeep. Best decision ever. I’ve used the shit out of the DMax, but times are changing and my job has changed.... I use to tow dump trailers & go wheeling with it... those days are over. Just need something basic & reliable now... The V8 is a solid option.

I’m leaning towards the 3.3 for reliability & mpg. And may end up with a used fleet vehicle. Just worried I’ll hate the lack of power coming from a diesel.

The power is definitely different for sure. But the smaller truck will definitely be cheaper to maintain and fix. I’m in the process myself of down sizing from a powerstroke to a half ton. Just gotta find the right one. Just don’t need the Deisel anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

I think somebody said it before, but if you’re looking at brand new, seriously consider the new Ram. They have good options and motors for a reasonable price, and look better than the ford in my opinion.

Plus the 10 speed in those ford trucks are constantly shifting. It honestly gets quite annoying.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I think somebody said it before, but if you’re looking at brand new, seriously consider the new Ram. They have good options and motors for a reasonable price, and look better than the ford in my opinion.

Plus the 10 speed in those ford trucks are constantly shifting. It honestly gets quite annoying.

The 2019 Ram Looks pretty dam good.. I just realized it was available about 10 minutes ago.... The Tradesman however only comes with the 3.6. The mpg is not far from the 3.3 in the ford. I'm going to go test drive one. The Laramie with 5.7 is way over my budget....but the 3.6 paired with the 8 speed could be nice..... I could swap the 8 speed into the Jk! :crazyeyes:

jdofmemi

The 2019 Ram Looks pretty dam good.. I just realized it was available about 10 minutes ago.... The Tradesman however only comes with the 3.6. The mpg is not far from the 3.3 in the ford. I'm going to go test drive one. The Laramie with 5.7 is way over my budget....but the 3.6 paired with the 8 speed could be nice..... I could swap the 8 speed into the Jk! :crazyeyes:

Just lease one. They will never know the difference when you turn it in and it is a 5 speed 🤣

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Certified preowned?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Just lease one. They will never know the difference when you turn it in and it is a 5 speed 🤣

^^^^ This!

Certified preowned?

Not a fan of the 18 and earlier body style unless it's lifted or a 3/4 Ton. A used 2500 4x4 is very tempting.... but trying to keep it cheaper to buy, operate and maintain. It would make more sense to just keep my 2500HD crew 4x4 at that point. I'm going to have to sacrifice a little.

You can buy 11,568 gallons of gas (at 3.89/gallon) by not spending 45 grand on a truck. Or 503 full tanks (23 gallon tank) of gas. Or just over 9 and a half years worth at one full tank a week.
[emoji23]

But that shits boring! Buy a new truck so we can drool over it. lol

JKbrick

Do the new GM 1/2 ton trucks still have the 4.3 available? That always seemed like a good motor in our 1/2 ton vans. The guys never take care of them and they get 200,000 miles on them

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

^^^^ This!

Not a fan of the 18 and earlier body style unless it's lifted or a 3/4 Ton. A used 2500 4x4 is very tempting.... but trying to keep it cheaper to buy, operate and maintain. It would make more sense to just keep my 2500HD crew 4x4 at that point. I'm going to have to sacrifice a little.

IMG_2688.jpg
IMG_2689.jpg

Bakersfield Chrysler

jesse3638

Hooked
It’s getting hard to find a larger V8 in a half ton. You can get a 6.2 in GM trucks of higher trim grade. The Ram has a 5.7, I think Toyota still has a 5.7, and Nissan has a 5.6. I actually had a 2003 Nissan, and it was strong. It got about 14 mpg, though.

Yeah got rid of my 2006 Titan last year. When I bought it new it had the most HP and towing capacity of the 1/2 tons. Never really had crazy problems with it and the motor was a beast. After headers I averaged a combined 14-15mpg.
I only see one option.
V8

Or an F-250 with a 6.7
Yeah we've had good luck with the 6.7's at work.

Just don't need the biggest engine for my daily use.... I have that now and easily burn $80 in fuel every 3 to 4 days.

Yeah I was in the same boat that's why I traded in my Titan and bought a Sentra. It's almost a year old and I've put over 25k on it. By my estimate I've saved nearly $2000 in fuel costs. (after car payment, insurance, and registration)
You can buy 11,568 gallons of gas (at 3.89/gallon) by not spending 45 grand on a truck. Or 503 full tanks (23 gallon tank) of gas. Or just over 9 and a half years worth at one full tank a week.
[emoji23]

But that shits boring! Buy a new truck so we can drool over it. lol
Haha. I did the same when I bought my Sentra to decide between the difference auto vs. manual trans. The auto was about $900 more and got 2mpg more. It would take over 350 fill-ups to break even on that. That is also if I was actually getting 2 mpg more. Plus I got 3 more HP by going with the manual..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah I was in the same boat that's why I traded in my Titan and bought a Sentra. It's almost a year old and I've put over 25k on it. By my estimate I've saved nearly $2000 in fuel costs. (after car payment, insurance, and registration)

Haha. I did the same when I bought my Sentra ...

Dude it’s bad. lol I’m horrible when it comes to buying a car. I’ll drive myself crazy for months doing the math.

That’s awesome about the Sentra[emoji106] 5 years ago we bought a Honda Civic. Quit putting miles on the Jeep and saved an F-ton worth of gas compared to my truck or the Jeep. Now it’s pretty much all my wife and I drive.

Zstairlessone

I am getting really close to trading my 05 Duramax in for a new/used truck. I never thought I would buy a ford, but it looks like I am moving to the Dark side.. Haha... I have 4 motor options:

1. 3.3 V6
2. 3.5 V6 Ecoboost
3. 2.7 V6 Ecoboost
4. 5.0 V8

Now that I have my Jeep.... the truck is a dedicated for work... loading materials, going job to job and some minor towing. I'm over having a lifted work truck and I need something a little smaller with better gas mileage and reliable.

Which motor do you guys like?

I just got an 18 and got the 5.0. Gas mileage is good and with the 10-speed always seems good to go (but always drops into 8th for easy acceleration). I had to line the bed because two sharpshooter shovels I keep back there were gouging the aluminum. Just something else to think about.

notnalc68

I just got an 18 and got the 5.0. Gas mileage is good and with the 10-speed always seems good to go (but always drops into 8th for easy acceleration). I had to line the bed because two sharpshooter shovels I keep back there were gouging the aluminum. Just something else to think about.

I’m not crazy about the aluminum. It’s okay if it’s just a cowboy Cadillac, but I tend to be hard on pickup beds.

tippedover

I say GM but that’s just me, if u want a 1/2 ton check the 19s out think they have some really good different motor options.
Could always get a used LML for a good price

Top Bottom