Ford Truck - Which Motor?

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’m all over the place guys... Ford, Chevy, Dodge... My budget is around 30k so getting into another Diesel isn’t going to happen.... My head hurts from deciding because I dislike all the newer trucks for one reason or another..... and what you get for 30k these days is a f’n Joke. I paid 40k for my 05 Dmax crew long bed 4x4 with leather and Bose stereo.... You can easily pay 40k on a new 2wd base model now.... Shit, I woke up this morning looking at 90 - 99 chevy trucks because I know they are easy to wrench on. Maybe I’ll just buy a lumber rack for the Jeep... Fuck it. 🤣

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I’m late to this thread but the 2.7 eco boost is a great motor. My dad has it in his 2015 f-150 and he gets about 26mpg highway with it. We tow our 7500”lb boat and trailer with it with ease as well.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
What about the 1500 Ram with the V6 diesel. I have 2 friends with them and they love them mileage is good. One of them already has 180,000 miles with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I’m all over the place guys... Ford, Chevy, Dodge... My budget is around 30k so getting into another Diesel isn’t going to happen.... My head hurts from deciding because I dislike all the newer trucks for one reason or another..... and what you get for 30k these days is a f’n Joke. I paid 40k for my 05 Dmax crew long bed 4x4 with leather and Bose stereo.... You can easily pay 40k on a new 2wd base model now.... Shit, I woke up this morning looking at 90 - 99 chevy trucks because I know they are easy to wrench on. Maybe I’ll just buy a lumber rack for the Jeep... Fuck it. 🤣

The money they want for vehicles these days is fucking insane. The only new truck I ever bought was my 94 Dodge Ram. The best truck I ever had, but I still kick myself for buying it new.

I won't pay more than $5k for a work truck because I know I'm gonna beat the hell out of it. If I were in your position (and I have been), I'd be looking for an early 00s with high mileage whatever that I could pay cash for. I usually look for fleet vehicles because you know they've been maintained.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’m late to this thread but the 2.7 eco boost is a great motor. My dad has it in his 2015 f-150 and he gets about 26mpg highway with it. We tow our 7500”lb boat and trailer with it with ease as well.

That’s good to hear... the reviews seem to be all over the board... the 2.7 is definitely more available and at a cheaper cost than the 5.0. And mpg seems to be much better.

What about the 1500 Ram with the V6 diesel. I have 2 friends with them and they love them mileage is good. One of them already has 180,000 miles with no problems

I’m a huge diesel fan, but I think the costs are out of reach for me this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The money they want for vehicles these days is fucking insane. The only new truck I ever bought was my 94 Dodge Ram. The best truck I ever had, but I still kick myself for buying it new.

I won't pay more than $5k for a work truck because I know I'm gonna beat the hell out of it. If I were in your position (and I have been), I'd be looking for an early 00s with high mileage whatever that I could pay cash for. I usually look for fleet vehicles because you know they've been maintained.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I hear ya 100%..... but its hard to go from such a great Rig.... to a beater. Plus I really need it to take the fam longer distances sometimes. And its a write off.

jesse3638

Hooked
We have several of these in our fleet state wide and haven't heard about any problems with them. They have plenty of power for the small package it is. Plus government employees aren't exactly the most responsible with vehicles..haha. As a matter of fact I think two of them have nearly 75k and are due to be replaced this year.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Actually we will be having a 2012 F350 6.7L with around 80k on it going up for auction in the coming weeks. It has been maintained well and is a hell of a truck. They usually go for stupid low prices.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Actually we will be having a 2012 F350 6.7L with around 80k on it going up for auction in the coming weeks. It has been maintained well and is a hell of a truck. They usually go for stupid low prices.

Really appreciate the heads up, but not looking for a 250 or 350.... or diesel. Need to down size a bit. Thanks man.

TrailHunter

Hooked
So, I drove the F-150 with the 5.0 V8 and the 2.7 ecoboost. Honestly, the 2.7 felt awesome... quick, snappy, light and nimble. But I just got back from the Dodge Dealer and I drove a 2019 Ram Tradesman with the Hemi. It's a Nice truck! Ram has really stepped it up. It seems like you get more storage and comforts with the base model Ram, than the base model Ford. I still can't make a decision.... But I think the Ram/Hemi is in the lead.

MericaMade

So, I drove the F-150 with the 5.0 V8 and the 2.7 ecoboost. Honestly, the 2.7 felt awesome... quick, snappy, light and nimble. But I just got back from the Dodge Dealer and I drove a 2019 Ram Tradesman with the Hemi. It's a Nice truck! Ram has really stepped it up. It seems like you get more storage and comforts with the base model Ram, than the base model Ford. I still can't make a decision.... But I think the Ram/Hemi is in the lead.

Rebirth.... So what truck did you end up buying? Also, any new info on the FORD 2.7? like how they are holding up?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Rebirth.... So what truck did you end up buying? Also, any new info on the FORD 2.7? like how they are holding up?

I went with the 2.7 STX Supercab 2WD 6ft bed. It’s been a year and I really like it for what it is.. and how I use it. It’s a comfortable work truck that I use driving to job sites all day. It’s quick, it’s comfortable, it’s quiet, and gets decent mileage. I load the bed with materials and tow our lumber trailer with no problems. I really like the 2.7 with the 10spd and when unloaded it hauls ass.

But it’s not my ideal truck... My ideal truck is a 3/4 ton, Diesel 4x4... and if I was towing heavier loads on a regular basis I would not have purchased the 2.7.... And the aluminum body has been hard for me to accept... But for how I’m currently using my work truck... I love it. Hope that helps.

MericaMade

I went with the 2.7 STX Supercab 2WD 6ft bed. It’s been a year and I really like it for what it is.. and how I use it. It’s a comfortable work truck that I use driving to job sites all day. It’s quick, it’s comfortable, it’s quiet, and gets decent mileage. I load the bed with materials and tow our lumber trailer with no problems. I really like the 2.7 with the 10spd and when unloaded it hauls ass.

But it’s not my ideal truck... My ideal truck is a 3/4 ton, Diesel 4x4... and if I was towing heavier loads on a regular basis I would not have purchased the 2.7.... And the aluminum body has been hard for me to accept... But for how I’m currently using my work truck... I love it. Hope that helps.
That's good to hear. I'm on the fence with Ford and Chevy but liking the 2.7 and what I am reading so far.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

My dad has the 2.7 and I have the 3.5 F150. After driving my dads around last weekend including a few hours on the freeway there isn't a whole lot of difference. Mine definitely has more get up when I step on it on the freeway to pass and ever so slightly less MPG but honestly day to day driving they aren't that much different. I believe the towing cap on them is pretty similar as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

My dad has the 2.7 and I have the 3.5 F150. After driving my dads around last weekend including a few hours on the freeway there isn't a whole lot of difference. Mine definitely has more get up when I step on it on the freeway to pass and ever so slightly less MPG but honestly day to day driving they aren't that much different. I believe the towing cap on them is pretty similar as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
That's good to know. I think the 2.7 is rated for 9k and the 3.5 is rated at 13k max towing. I would think the 2.7 would tow a JKU on a flatbed just fine.

How much of a difference did you see in MPG?

TrailHunter

Hooked
That's good to know. I think the 2.7 is rated for 9k and the 3.5 is rated at 13k max towing. I would think the 2.7 would tow a JKU on a flatbed just fine.

How much of a difference did you see in MPG?

I wouldn’t tow 9k with the 2.7 or a 1/2 ton...but thats just me.... Mine is only rated for like 7500 and I wouldn’t do that very often either... 2.7 is not for towing... I’d go V8 or diesel F250 if you want to tow the Jeep often... or Hemi or Cummins Dodge or the V8 or Duramax Chevy. My buddy has the 3.5 Ecoboost.. he says it’s strong, but mpg really drops when towing.

Top Bottom