Ford Truck - Which Motor?

MericaMade

I wouldn’t tow 9k with the 2.7 or a 1/2 ton...but thats just me.... Mine is only rated for like 7500 and I wouldn’t do that very often either... 2.7 is not for towing... I’d go V8 or diesel F250 if you want to tow the Jeep often... or Hemi or Cummins Dodge or the V8 or Duramax Chevy. My buddy has the 3.5 Ecoboost.. he says it’s strong, but mpg really drops when towing.
Yeah I agree with you on Towing. I just sold my Duramax because I sold my 5th wheel aswell and didn't really need it anymore. I want to get into something newer with little bit softer ride and bigger back seat. I would probably tow the Jeep a handful of times a year but even during those handful of times I want something capable and not struggle what I'm heading out to Moab or something.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

That's good to know. I think the 2.7 is rated for 9k and the 3.5 is rated at 13k max towing. I would think the 2.7 would tow a JKU on a flatbed just fine.

How much of a difference did you see in MPG?

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app
My 20' car hauler with my Jeep on it weighs about 7k and my 3.5 towed it to Moab from MT just fine cruising 70 the whole time. I think the way mine is configured I have a Max 11.5k towing but I have a 16' with the 6speed not the new 10 speed. The braking leaves some to be desired but it tows just fine. I also tow my jeep very few times maybe once or twice a year so it's not often I have to worry about it but if I were to tow more often I wouldn't have bought a half ton

The difference in MPG was 3-6 in various in town vs highway driving better in favor of the 2.7. he still has the stock tires on while I have duratracs which could also account for some minor MPG changes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

My 20' car hauler with my Jeep on it weighs about 7k and my 3.5 towed it to Moab from MT just fine cruising 70 the whole time. I think the way mine is configured I have a Max 11.5k towing but I have a 16' with the 6speed not the new 10 speed. The braking leaves some to be desired but it tows just fine. I also tow my jeep very few times maybe once or twice a year so it's not often I have to worry about it but if I were to tow more often I wouldn't have bought a half ton

The difference in MPG was 3-6 in various in town vs highway driving better in favor of the 2.7. he still has the stock tires on while I have duratracs which could also account for some minor MPG changes.

The more I read the more the 3.5 seems to fit the bill better. Being a Chevy guy I need to go test drive one first.

desertrunner

The more I read the more the 3.5 seems to fit the bill better. Being a Chevy guy I need to go test drive one first.
I had a 12' Silverado that I wasn't too big of a fan of but I didn't have it long enough to give a real review. So far I have been very happy with my F150 the 3.5 has plenty of power for me and it tows my Jeep for the few times I need it to. Mine is still low miles so I haven't seen any reliability issues but there are plenty on the road for good data points on that.
The 5.0 is a more proven engine and has similar stats to the 3.5 minus the fact that turbos can cause issues the 5.0 shouldn't have.
You can find bad things about every truck out there on the road but so far so good with mine and I have no complaints

Top Bottom